Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The Budget Jeep

51K views 379 replies 41 participants last post by  Tenshots1 
#1 · (Edited)
Tenshot's "Metal Mistess"

Hey guys. My name is Garrett and i have had my jeep for 4 years. I bought it stock and have put these upgrades on it over time using christmas money and my job to scrape together any extra money i could get ahold of. I will attempt to show a quick history of my jeep with the little pictures i have, then i will show the total upgrades.

Jeep when i first got it:

After 2" spacer lift and 31" KM tires

After 4" Lift with old Tires

Start of Thread
Exterior
Lift: 4" Full Traction
Shocks: Rancho 9000xl front, Procomp Es3000 rear, ES2000 Steering Stabilizer
Tires: 33X12.5X15 BFG KM2's on 15X8 AR767 Rims
Bumpers: Stock, Front has brush guard attached
Side Protection:Smittybilt SRC rocker guards
Lighting: KC 100w fog lights on windshield mounts, Silverstar ultra-bright headlights
Misc: Hi-lift jack, CB firestik radio antenna, Black gas cap cover

Interior
4 Polk Audio waterproof speakers
Panasonic headunit
Cobra 29ltd Cb radio

Under Hood
K&N Air filter

I am continuously putting more on and will keep this thing updated! Also, i am looking for it to be sponsored in exchange for parts. Pm me if interested.

See less See more
#11 ·
had the K&N filter in my old ZJ, it didnt give it much boost. i wouldnt get the CAI systems unless u got a V8 :thumbsup:

ps. theres MANY threads relating to this subject

#14 ·
Alright guys i just sold the subwoofer i had in it off craigslist for $225, so now i have about $260 to spend on the jeep. What should i get next?

Can i have some advice on good shocks for the rear of the jeep that are decently priced and made for a 4" lift? I dont really want to spend all of the money i just got on Rancho 9000xl just to match the front. Im thinking something cheaper to get away from these ES3000's

Then depending on what i have left i might get a front bumper or some skid plates

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks.

Tell me what i should get with my $270 guys!

I'm now thinking i will either get new rear shocks, buy tubing to weld up my cage, or a bumper, or some differential skids....i just dont know!

Ut o Now im thinking i want Currie Anti-rocks! IDK I'm going on the superstition moutain trip tomorrow. Maybe i can find something there i "need" haha

#20 ·
Came back from superstition. I will have pictures up soon. Did some serious off-roading and had a blast.

From the trip, I decided i would get a 1" Body lift because i need to get my jeep higher off the ground. Also, I saw some MCE Flatty Fenders and i really like those. I'm going to buy the body lift now and wait on the fenders tho. I will probably cut the ones i have now

I've heard that the daystar Bl is best because it replaces the old bushings, but i kinda wanted the jks to get 1.25". What do you guys think

#26 ·
yeah, it happens, school is more important any day.

once upon a time, i had nothing but PB&J for 3 weeks straight, just to get some 1" shackles. then i starved for another week till i got paid :brickwall. then i lived my life happily ever after:rofl:

gotta do what ya gotta do lol.

#30 ·
well now i guess i wont be buying a body lift. My dad is a car guru and he isnt a fan of body lifts, so he stopped me in my tracks. I guess im just gunna have to wait and see what good deals come up on other parts to decide what i will be spending my cash on
Jeeps arent cars :rolleyes:

1" body lifts arent that bad

#36 ·
i wanted one of those at one point but they seem to be too much of a pain on the road. My jeep is a DD and only spends about 5% of the time out on the dirt. I dont want any clicking going on around turns and i sure dont want it to wear down my tires.

Plus, i just did this trip with 5 people in my jeep and i never got stuck or slipped or anything. The off-roading i did was about the hardest im want to do right now.

so really, I feel i can work with an open carrier for the type of off-roading i do.

By the way, I just got done cutting my fenders! Pics up soon

#37 ·
a 1" body lift wouldnt hurt anything, you will only be able to tell in the rear, and it will only be 1". but trimming fenders and wheel wells and tube fenders will get you way farther than any body lift will. i have seen some guys on 35's and 36's with 2.5" lift, and a lot of high lining, check out some of those LCG jeeps, they also look super cool! good choice with trimming.

#38 ·
yea i trimmed the front and will probably trim the back tonight. I want MCE fenders, but i dont want to get pulled over for them.

The only problem is that i dont think i can get bigger tires because i have these wimpy stock axles. 33" are kinda the max. O well im satisfied with that for now

Before:

After:

That was also a rough cut. Ive trimmed them out since then

#39 ·
yeah, kinda fogot about the D35. simply put, it's not the greatest on the earth. but the trimmed flares look great! what did you use to trim them with, i need to do that to mine.

#40 ·
just use a box cutter and make the mark deeper and deeper. Surprisingly, it cuts well. I have a dremel, but i thought i would go too fast and destroy it. After i just sanded the edges down. I will get a full pic today

I finally think i made up my mind of what to do with my money: buy a Bulldog Winch STubby Front Bumper. I lvoe the looks and price :)

#43 ·
Update on life: Bumper is still in the mail. I'm back at college so probably not too many upgrades in the near future, although i am all over craigslist trying to find a fullsize spare. This morning i bent my fuse stuff so my high beams can be on along with my kc fog lights. Im pretty amped about that.

When i get the bumper, i am going to try to do cheap rock lights at the same time

#44 ·
GOOD NEWS!

Bumper came!! It installed easily and looks awesome. I will have good pics up soon!

I got a free rim to use as a spare today off craigslist, thanks to steve if your out there. Now i just need to find a tire!

I found out i have a D44 in the rear!! woohooo! Awesome! no need to get a new axle!

#45 ·
Got the new spare on today!!

Im a little worried because the spare does not hit the bumper like i thought it would. There is a small quarter inch gap.

But it looks much better and ended costing $70 for the whole think including mount and balance. Sweet! Now to sell the stock spare for more :)

I also bought a 2" light for the middle to replace my 3rd brake light, but now i am wondering if i will do the mod bcause my light still shows ok right now

#48 ·
Put my windshield lights down on the bumper. I have new daylighters waiting for me right now at 4 wheel parts. Those are gonna go up on the windshield now.

I took a pic of the lights. They make the bumper look much cooler:

I also got an LED light for my car that magnetically sticks to the cb radio. This wont mess up my radio at all will it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.