Brutus - The everyday Joe build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Brutus - The everyday Joe build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #46
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today we turned our attention to the rearend, and let me tell you it needed attention! Blown shocks, bad arm bushings, sway bar end link bushings shot and lower control arms beat to heck!

stockrearend.jpg  
CZDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #47
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

First thing we did was pull the tank to make some room and get it ready for the ROKMEN skid. Once the tank was out we tried to separate it from the factory skid and couldn't
Not being the first owner of Brutus I keep finding new things the previous owners did with him..... Like obviously sinking him very deep in mud!
Once we soaked between the tank and the factory skid for some time we were able to separate them and found enough mud in there to sponsor a mud run We cleaned it all up and kept going
muddtank.jpg   cleantank.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #48
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

After cleaning up the tank we started on the spring relocation kit. First thing we did was to remove all the body mount bolts but the very front one and we loosened up that one. We then jacked up the body and put two blocks of 4x4 between the body and frame behind the doors. This didn't take but 10 minutes and gave us the room needed under Brutus to work
blockunderbody.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #49
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I then grabbed my Dremel with a cut off disc and went to town Truth be told the Dremel makes very short work of the welds! After cutting through most of the welds I grabbed a hammer and chisel and finished the job. Each spring perch took less than ten minutes to remove fully.... And I was a little scared to try it
dremelingperches.jpg   cutperch.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #50
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Once the perches were completely off we cleaned up the welds on the frame with a angle grinder and some 80 grit pads
cleaningwelds.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #51
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice clean frame
frame.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #52
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

After I cut the perches off and we cleaned off the welds from the frame we then cleaned up the area of the frame to be welded and then mocked up the location of the new perch by putting a wood 4x4 on the axle coil bucket and raising it to meet the new frame spring perch.
cleanframe.jpg   mockup.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #53
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

After the mock up its a simple tac and weld..... Well, kinda
The passengers side is easy to locate because you are going to simply locate the perch next to the trac bar mount but the drivers side has to be located in the same position, so we used frame holes and measured. After we had the measurement we held the drivers side perch in its location and used a angle finder to make sure we were correct.... We were, the frame holes make a good locater here for this project
I have to give a huge thanks and a major to my good friend Scott who did the welding for me here! Left to my own devices I would have blown multiple holes in both the frame and the ROKMEN perch's with the Miller in my hand No joking though, thanks Scott! Scott is the man and is the proprietor of "The Rock Shop" here in Colorado Springs. Scott has not one but two rigs featured in CRAWL magazine and I can see why!
holdingperch.jpg   tacweld.jpg   scottwelding.jpg   weldedperches.jpg   measuringdriversside.jpg  

Unread 06-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #54
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Once the new spring perches are on its time to wire wheel the welds to clean them up and then prime for paint
niceweld.jpg   primedforpaint.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #55
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Truth be told, the new perches, the mounting location, and the welds look 10x's better than the factory Jeep welds!
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #56
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You are doing great things with this TJ!! Keep up the great work.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #57
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
You are doing great things with this TJ!! Keep up the great work.
Thanks midnight! Lots more Jeep goodness to come
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #58
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I got so tired last night after the install I didn't get to finish the install pics
So back to it!
Perches all painted up
paintedperch.jpg   paintedperchii.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #59
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

ROKMEN spring relocation kit, ROKMEN arms, OME springs/shocks, JKS trac bar, JKS adjustable sway bar ends, and ROKMEN gas tank skid install finished!
rokmenperchwbumpstop.jpg   finishedkit.jpg   finishedkitii.jpg   rokmengts.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #60
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Now that the lift and spring relocation is complete and I've had a days drive time I can report on the street manners. I have to say I cannot believe the improvement over the factory ride! Brutus is SOOOO much tighter and yet more forgiving on road! Everything from pot holes to ruts the ride is smoother, tighter, and easier to handle. The JJs do NOT give more feedback but less and also have the benefit of a much tighter suspension giving you more feel without the harshness and better response
First impression is VERY good with all the ROKMEN, Currie, and JKS parts! Hats off to all of them for their fine Jeep products

One more note of recognition goes out to my good friend Rob who once again lent his shop, time, and expertise in giving me a hand at putting this last upgrade on Brutus! Thanks Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.