Brutus - The everyday Joe build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Brutus - The everyday Joe build

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #31
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Next day went down to Costco for a set of new shoes.... Went with 35x12.5R15 BFG KM2s
Only suppose to be 2" larger than my 33" Pro Comp MTs but with 80%+ tread remaining on the 33s the KM2s over 3"s taller

km2resize.jpg  
CZDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #32
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

With the new 35s Brutus looks just like were he started I think its time for a new lift!
brutusnewshoesresize.jpg  
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #33
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice selection of parts so far. The Rokmen guys are top shelf!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
kelso1337
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks slick dude.
How did you figure out where to drill for your rockhard rear bumper? I never did I just realized now haha. So really theres only 4 bolts holding my bumper on w/ the frame tie in.
kelso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #35
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Nice selection of parts so far. The Rokmen guys are top shelf!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso1337 View Post
Looks slick dude.
How did you figure out where to drill for your rockhard rear bumper? I never did I just realized now haha. So really theres only 4 bolts holding my bumper on w/ the frame tie in.
Thanks brother! Yeah the RockHard bumper is too nice a set up and totally capable so I would suggest pulling it back off and drilling out the holes to finish bolting it up...
The good news is you have to have the bumper mounted and the two outside bolts that you already have on snugged anyway so you can find the drill locations. Now that you have it up just take something small and sharp and reach down into the bumper bracket and put some scratches on that crossmember. Then you have to remove the bumper and take those supplied support plates and line them up with the scratches and then with a marker or something mark a more accurate drill points. Then with a good drill bit just drill on through the crossmember but be careful not to hit the gas tank
Simple really and makes a good, stout bumper for your towing hitch or to take shots from rocks
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #36
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
Certainly not a bad days work! Coming along nicely.
Thanks! You have a sweet Jeep and build going on! Love your ROKMEN HiLines but Im fearing trying to put them together straight and having both left and right look straight. Did you have a tough time mocking them up before putting tacs on them?
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
McChillen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks great!
McChillen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #38
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Its been a while since I've updated, seems as if I've worked every day since my last update so I though I pick up again. I took Brutus on a Oryx hunt in NM and he did great! Well kinda.... The total trip was around 1500 miles and there was considerable off roading with getting into and out of washouts and washs, creek beds, and old mine and ranch trails. There was nothing terribly challenging or technical but it put the suspension and steering through its paces and loaded the inside of Brutus with about 100 lbs of sand and dirt, GOOD GRIEF! The Currie, ROKMEN, and RockHard parts all worked perfect and without even knowing they were there, the way it should be
The only complaint I had with the drivabilty was when we were being pounded by 30 to 40 mph sustained winds with 50 mph gusts! Poor Brutus was in three lanes
I think my destroyed stock rear sway bar busings, rear control arm bushings that fell out a year ago, the AntiRock set to the mid position, and 35x12.5r15s at 28 psi caught up to me???
Anyway, we made it and the made two adjustment for the drive home that helped. Move the AntiRock to the stiffest position and put the KM2s to 32 psi and stayed in 1-1/2 lanes
The trip was fun as hell though! The Hunt was tough as hell! Hiking ridges and canyons and deserts from 4 am to 9 pm straight with 40 lbs of gear and optics in 95* temps.... But I had success and found a young bull on day six
oryx.jpg  
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #39
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today I went down to ROKMENs picked up the last of my lift and will start the install tomorrow. Hopefully I finish it by Friday night....
The lift is as follows

ROKMEN control arms
OME 949 rear springs
OME 934 front springs
OME N66 and N67 shocks
ROKMEN front and rear bump stop kits
ROKMEN rear spring relocator kit
JKS OGS151B rear track bar
JKS adjustable rear sway bar links
ROKMEN gas tank skid

I know, nothing revolutionary here, but I want to do it right the first time and think I am. The ROKMEM arms are just bad to the bone and pure beef! And the welds are pure ROKMEN and so damn nice with the time and effort they put in them! Looking at some of their competitors arms they look like bubble gum welds in comparison! Dave told me that even though they have a lifetime warranty he has never had to honor it! Never a bent or broken arm in over seven years to his knowledge and I've never seen or heard of one. So the price for them was well worth it in my book and they are a great platform for the rest of the lift
And yes, Ol Snoop is guarding the stash day and night til it gets bolted on
snoopyandlift.jpg   rokmenarmweld.jpg   rokmenpackaging.jpg   rokmenarms.jpg  
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #40
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow that's a great setup. I love those rokmen arms. I'm actual calling today to order my first set of them. Wish I could afford to do it all at once like you. Let me know how you like those shocks.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #41
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks brother It was a long night installing the front suspension after a 10 hour workday but ohhhhh so worth it! You're gonna be amazed at the articulation gained from just the arms!
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #42
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, yesterday started at 3am for work and I got out of there around 3pm. Got to the shop around 5pm to start the install but needed to eat first so we got started on the install around 7pm..... We finished up around 1am Good grief was I tired
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #43
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

First thing we did was to get all of our measurements and angles. Wanted to make sure we had pinon angles, ds angles, pumpkin flat angles, etc before we started along with writing down heights at front and rear body, frame, and skid.
After that we started tearing down Brutus, a before shot for you...
stockfesuspension.jpg  
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #44
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Drilling out the axle spring perches for the adjustable bump stop kit, my kind of fun, I love it
drillingfrontspringpad.jpg  
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #45
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

And the finished product! Unbelievable how much more flex in the axle now!!! I did find out quick I need longer front brake lines now and that the stock front crossmember with trans pan skid will not fit anymore because the drop in the front axle is so great now the drive shaft gets into it real quick.... Problems I actually like having
rokmenfesuspension.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.