Brutus - The everyday Joe build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Brutus - The everyday Joe build

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Brutus - The everyday Joe build

Brutus is my 2006 LJ... I bought Brutus back in February of last year as a every day driver but like most all of you it wasn't long until I was driving every back road, unimproved forest 4x4 road and trail. I knew right away that Brutus was in need of improvements or the poor boy was going to get pounded to death! This is Brutus the day I brought him home

resizedimage951358392983605-2.jpg  
CZDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The LJ had a 2" budget boost and 33" tires when I bought it but other than that it was stock.
Now I'm definitely NOT wealthy so it took some time to scrape some coin together to get this build going. I have been saving for a year now, took on a second job, and got a little lucky with a dividend payout to start this. I love wheelin but I also equally love hunting and exploring as well so I need to build a very balanced Jeep that is a great everyday driver, something capable of long extended trips, and also something that would tackle 95%+ of the trails out there.
With all that in mind this will NOT be some custom cut and fab build but one of finding the right parts that just work right for a multi use jeep that is driven every day!
This build will start slow but trust me it will get pretty good
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very first mod Went out Tuesday morning and ol Brutus wouldn't start I guess the age of the old battery and the fact that it was -8* outside was more than the Walmart Everstart could bear
So I got a jump and headed to Littleton, CO to a shop called Rokmens, maybe you heard of them And picked up a new Optima and installed it right there in their parking lot
2013-01-16_14-52-33_174-1.jpg  
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

While I was at Rokmen's I decided that I had worked and saved enough and it was time to start building Brutus... I decided to bring home one of Rokmen's Mercenary front bumpers. I have to say, this thing is not only great looking but way over built! The lines and stout construction is only surpassed by the beauty of the welds! Seriously, the welds on this thing are so nice I had a hard time taking it to powder coat today, I only hope that they still show a little through it???
I have no doubt though this bumper will take a serious beating, be a great platform for a winch, and last a lifetime
merc1resize.jpg   merc2resize.jpg   merc3resize.jpg  
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I picked up my bumper from powder coat this past weekend and was going to install it but then I thought, "this is just not going to look right without a winch"
So back to Rokmens it was, that shop is going to bankrupt me
I picked up a COMEUP 9.5RSI winch which is COMEUP's top of the line model that is fully sealed and submersible. It also comes with synthetic rope, a nice aluminum hawse, and is remote controlled These have been used on the Rokmens Freak Jeeps for some time now and used hard and they have nothing but good to say about them.
If the high dollar winch wasn't good enough a few other items out of Rokmens followed me home too...
I figured I should just go ahead and finish off the front bumper area so I picked up a Currie Anti-Rock sway bar and a Currie Forged HD steering system. I also picked up a Rokmen 1" body lift and a JKS 1" motor mount lift....
I recruited my friend Rob to help with the install of it all on Friday with the promise of cold Coronas
2013-01-23_22-17-15_10.jpg  
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sick.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Going over my list of things I needed for the install tomorrow it hit me.... I forgot to get a dang trac bar! So I went back down to Rokmens where they were working late on builds and cool enough to sell me a trac bar at 845 at night,they close at 5 Thanks guys
I have ol Snoop guarding the stash night and day until we get it bolted down
While there I snapped a couple pics of a build they are doing to share with you all. Its a 06 LJ that they have stuffed a 5.7 Hemi into and a set of Spyder 9s along with a full on custom suspension and steering...
Half of me wishes I had the $$$$ to just give them my LJ for the same treatment but the other half says doing it yourself makes it not only more fun but more rewarding when wheeling it
stashresize.jpg   freakresize1.jpg   freak2resize.jpg   freak3resize.jpg   freak4resize.jpg  

freak5resize.jpg  
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do everything yourself, much more rewarding. For a second there I thought that Hemi was in your jeep!
boatsandhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
sbaird95
2000 TJ Wrangler 

VERY NICE purchases so far! will be watching this build!
sbaird95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rokmen is the best. Hands down. I am actually kind of glad I don;t live that close to them or they would have a restraining order out on me for drooling over their creations. Welcome to the LJ world.

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

So what is your end goals for the lj? I know you want it to be able to drive on long trips and wheel on the weekends but what's the list of parts your planning to get it there?
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This is going to look good!

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsandhose View Post
Do everything yourself, much more rewarding. For a second there I thought that Hemi was in your jeep!
I agree and put 12 hours into Brutus today and the test drive was all the reward I needed, but I have to say the Coronas were good too
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaird95 View Post
VERY NICE purchases so far! will be watching this build!
Thanks, I've always been one to wait until I could afford some quality rather that just buying anything... Like I said, I took on a second job to help fund my Jeep and my first job pays pretty well! More to come!
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Rokmen is the best. Hands down. I am actually kind of glad I don;t live that close to them or they would have a restraining order out on me for drooling over their creations. Welcome to the LJ world.
I really do feel very lucky living close to Rokmens, Dave and Jeff (owners) are the best and have huge passion for the industry and what they do Even though Dave and Jeff aren't building my Jeep they take the time to explain what will and won't work for my needs and even today when I ran into a snag with installing the Anti-Rock Dave was right there on the phone and told me what to do.... And I know how busy they are, I was there 3+ hours after close and they were still full on working but then again they took the time to sell me a Trac bar! GREAT SHOP! GREAT GUYS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
So what is your end goals for the lj? I know you want it to be able to drive on long trips and wheel on the weekends but what's the list of parts your planning to get it there?
The name Brutus came from where I want to go with it... I want it to be brutally strong without over kill. There may be some steps to get to where I want to go but Im building it to run 37" to 40" tires though I'll probaby never go over 37's. The whole drive train will be replace here soon but build time on these components right now are 10 weeks out and I have to source a TC. Hopefully all come together by summer but I'll put it all right here for all to see.
As for what exactly is going in, well you got keep reading, I can't give it all away on page one
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So I slept in til 8am today but then got my stash of parts loaded into Brutus to head over to my buddy house.... Funny, first thing loaded was the beer
beerresize.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.