Hey guys, this is the build thread for my 1996 Cherokee Sport 4dr. Her name is Betty. I'm broke right now, due to being jobless (20 living with parents), so this is going to be a cheap as possible build. I'm trying to get her into running shape, and able to pass a safety test. Once I start working again, I'll start with some aftermarket stuff(exhaust, tires/rims, bumpers).
So I bought her from a local July 15th for $400 with 273k KM, she was sitting for a year, apparently due to an overheating problem. Previous owner said he though its a head gasket, but there is no oil in the coolant, and vise versa. It looks like the radiator is leaking though, so that is most likely the cause.
For the most part she looked pretty good. The paint was good, no crazy rust, no damage aside from one small dent, no cracked or chipped windows, and the interior was SUPER clean.
Here is where she was sitting for a year.
Getting her towed to her new home.
Once I got to the lot I'm storing her in, we unloaded and got to work. First thing was a really rough idle, but it got better quickly. The battery is at like 6 volts right now, so I have to get a jump to get her going, but it wont idle due to what I assume is a low battery, if you rev her, she runs though.
Then I noticed a broken connection to the muffler. The tailpipe was sticking out a bit, and there was no seal to the muffler, so it just comes out. Not sure what I'm going to do to fix it, but I'll figure it out.
Next issue was a droopy headliner. I'm just going to pull it all down and redo it myself with some desert camo fabric.
After giving the car a better look, I found some holes in the floor on the passenger side.
Here's one underneath the bench seat:
And here's another massive hole I found under the front passenger side:
That front hole upset me, I can definitely fix the hole under the bench seat, but this one is going to take some more work.
After calming down, I got to work removing the garbage the previous owner did a terrible job installing. There was a mobile phone signal booster I removed from under the bench seat. Then I got rid of what looked like a power line with a socket for trailer lights/brakes. He did such a terrible job wiring it. All of this stuff went to underneath the dash, and now I have a bunch of random wires that were cut, having no idea what they're for or where they go.
Other than that I lubricated everything I could see. Thats all I've done so far.
Updates to come!