Broadz '01 WJ Audio Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Broadz '01 WJ Audio Build

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
broadz
2001 WJ 

Broadz Australian '01 WJ Audio Build / 2" and 32s

This is the new replacement for my aging Nissan Hardbody.

It is a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 2 owner, always garaged, 130,000km.

Being a Limited it comes with nice things such has 10 way electric adjust + heated leather seats, Premium stereo with a 6 channel power amp and inifinity speakers, steering wheel controls, dual zone climate control. This special model also comes with blown mid/tweeters

OEM Gear is as follows:
Jeep single CD 2 band GEQ 1.5 din headunit, 10 disc stacker, Inifinty 6 channel amp, 6x9 midbass lowpassed by amp, 2 inch fullrange mid/tweet highpassed by amp and rear 6.5 fullrange.

Being a 2001 it misses out on the awesome electro-luminiscent gauges and auto folding rear seat headrests which were standard on the 2002 model.

My intentions are to change wheels, some 30.5 inch mud tyres, 2 inch "budget boost" lift, and louder exhaust.

Stereo will most likely be as follows:

Clarion HXD2 + CD Stacker + Ipod
Crescendo MG6 midbass
Crescendo MB3N midrange
Crescendo T2RB Tweeter
Crescendo Sonata 6
Crescendo Sonata 4
Crescendo Etude 2.10 x2

Cheap Alpine DD Linear rear fill is an added bonus to who ever buys this when I eventually sell it (they are not even connected)

Front Speaker wiring through factory loom plug (I love how simple it is to run wiring into the door)

Dynamat covered doors

Angle Cut 6x9 - 6.5 inch adaptor (lots of trimming of the inside of the door trims required)

broadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
broadz
2001 WJ 

Speaker wiring all labelled (150mm distance between labels the whole length of each cable) and ran down passenger side in one 12 core loom, techflexed.

Sub box complete, with matching Jeep carpet.

Tweeter Rings

Amps Mounted (such a PERFECT fit!)

A Pillars in construction

CD Stacker bracket modification

Clarion HXD2 Headunit installed

Cabling and fuse installed (this will be changed when I change batteries for either dual Optimas or a big single Oddysey)

A Pillars glassed/resined awaiting fill/trimming
Speakers are Crescendo MG3N midrange and T2RB tweeter

Crescendo Etude 2.10 subs installed

New wheels: 17 inch Jeep Avilla (series 1)

Old Wheels: 17 Inch Silverblade II
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
broadz
2001 WJ 

Old Gauges Vs new

EL gauges at night
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Very nice!
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
broadz
2001 WJ 

Custom Trim Rings to hide the frame/screws of the midrange. Textured paint closely matches the tweeter

Custom laser etched aluminium amp badges. These were a white/multicoloured resin badge prior

matching badges replace the "infinity gold" door badges

A Pillar progression

Unread 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
broadz
2001 WJ 

No real updates other then quite a bit of refinement with the tuning and after correcting one mid which was out of phase, the system has finally come to life to a point where I'm almost happy enough to leave this Sound Quality Competition tune for daily driving.

Finally took the Jeep offroad for the first time. I expected it not to perform "brilliant" with its 29 inch road tyres, stock suspension and open diffs. Found this nice shallow mud pit which i used to drive through in my old jeep all of the time on my way home from work. Turns out other 4wds since, have done the same and when I came along both front and rear diffs became beached with all 4 wheels spinning freely inside the ruts created by their 33/35" mud tyres.

Looks like my idea of a 2" lift and 31s might quickly change to 4" and 33s

Unread 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
broadz
2001 WJ 

2" lift, 31" Cooper ST

Unread 01-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
DecepticonWJ03
2003 WJ 

How did you make those pillars??!!
DecepticonWJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Maximus_Daximus
1976 CJ7 

i will take a set of those pillers my good man

previous build 1976 cj7 [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/76-cj7-nothing-something-1080909/[/url]
Maximus_Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
broadz
2001 WJ 

Well, I've since changed direction with this Jeep..
I have bought a new SQ competition car and as such I have decided to "downgrade" some of the components.
This means the flashy Clarion headunit has been swapped for an Alpine IVA-D511E single DIN 7" motorised screen with nice things such as satelite navigation, USB, DVD, Ipod, Steering wheel controls, Bluetooth audio and hands-free and even basic MP3: all of which was missing from the all-out sound quality headunit it is replacing.
The front speakers will remain but I'm downgrading amps and subs to a single 5 channel and single 12" sub fiberglassed in the rear quarter panel so I have full use of the cargo space once again.
I've also bought a '02 cargo barrier which I had to modify to suit the earlier '01 floorpan. The seat bolt holes of the '02 is completely different and this cargo barrier was designed to suit side curtain airbags which I dont have so I have "blanked" the big open gap at each corner with some perspex.

The new car is a 2007 Holden Special Vehicles Grange (you americans get them as a Chevrolet Police Pursuit Vehicle)
It features even more rare and high end gear such as Morel Supremo, Morel Integra, Boston Acoustics "Pro", Soundstream DaVinci and Arc Audio PS8 Processor

Unread 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

I love the A pillars. Your setup up looks super nice.
tommyooooooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
broadz
2001 WJ 

2002-2004 WJ Cargo barrier. This is designed to suit the '02+ models with side curtain airbags. As this is a '01 model without curtain airbags I have decided to block off the top corners with some 8mm perspex which I cut and flame polished to give a nice soft edge the whole way around. It was rivetted in place and a fire extinguisher mounted on the driver's side.

Unread 05-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
broadz
2001 WJ 

New shoes: '08 JK 17s with 265/70/17 Cooper STT tyres.
Still running the 2" Budget Boost + (sagged) 1" UC springs but I'm glad I didn't rush out and get a 3" lift as now with the 32s I'm probably looking more toward a 4" long arm kit and some cutting to best make use of them.
I think the JK 17s with 32s is about the biggest I would want on a WJ without going for at least 6" of lift with cut in flares etc.

Unread 06-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
Lamo

Looks fantastic, broadz. love what you've done with the interior. I'm yet to receive my first Jeep ('99 WJ) - should have it in a week. I will definitely be taking some pointers from your build.
Lamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
broadz
2001 WJ 

New sub box:
Ive decided to make use of the dead space in the spare wheel well, left by my upgrade to 32" tyres (32" doesn't fit spare wheel well any more)
. The idea is to build a spare wheel shaped/sized sub box that is easily removable, able to place heavy loads over and is completely invisible to the eye. As the spare wheel well in this is completely cylindrical in shape, if decided to use 100% 18mm MDF and use one 2400mm long continuous kerf to create the 30.5" circle. Calculations work out to be exactly 75 litres of internal enclosure volume.

I had thought about running two 12s with a 6" aero port and scale down the enclosure size to suit, making it as efficient as possible to best make use of the modest 1000 watts of power.
As I love old school, I remembered seeing this lancer from the late 90s/early 00s.

So I redrew the enclosure to test fit all four to see if the 30.5" circular baffle would fit four of them and to my surprise, it does: only 2-3mm clearance all round with all four baskets touching.

More old gear: Alpine MRV1000, MRVF400 and 4x Alpine SWR-304D (bass ZR).

2.4m of continuous kerfing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.