Boosted LJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Boosted LJ Build

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
bigc3031
Leaves nothing stock
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Boosted LJ Build

I can't believe I haven't started a build thread. Guess I better start.

Bought the bone stock LJ around Feb. 2013 after selling my 1970 Nova. This isn't my first Jeep but it's the first that I can now afford to really play with. The plan is to build a streetable off road machine that is done right without going overboard. Thinking about this a bit, overboard is hard to define, just ask my wife....

I started with a DPG Ultimate kit as I felt this was a good starting point.

Jeep suspension lift
Before measurements
DF-31.5"
DR-32.25"
PF-32"
PR-32.5"
After measurements
DF-35.25"
DR-36.5"
PF-35.15"
PR-36.25"
7 hour install time
DPG Ultimate Old Man Emu Lift Kit
-OME Nitro Sport Shocks
-OME Coil Springs
-OME Steering Stabilizer
-JKS front and rear Adjustable Track Bars
-JKS Quicker Disconnects
-JKS Rear links
-DPG front and rear Bump Stops
-1.25"JKS body lift
-Brown Dog Machine 1" Lift Motor Mount*
-Currie/Savvy Correctlink steering system
-Ultra 15"x9" black rims with 3.75" backspacing
-Goodyear Duratracs 33"x12.50"x15"
Notes
-Soaked all nut in penetrating oil twice to prevent broken bolts.
-Silly amount of socket/wrenches required. Why mix metric and SAE?
-Taking Jeep in for an alignment, absolutely needed.
-Broke front track bar bolt on axle side, the bolt was $4 and the nut was $16!
-install was fairly simple, anyone with moderate mechanical abilities can do this with no problem.
-If you are doing this yourself you will need spring compressors for the coils.

Shortly after this install I regeared to 4.56s and added front and rear ARB airlockers, ARB compressor under the hood

Gucci gel battery

Brown Dog Motor Mounts

The Source with switches from OTRTTW

Linex in the tub

MOLLE panel on the tailgate

Poison Spyder rockers

JCR front bumper and steering skid, Warn Zeon 8 synthetic, Rigid 10" spot and Dually D2 wides

I ditched the chrome grill and installed Hella Clearvision replacement lenses and 55w bulbs-HUGE improvement

JCR rear bumper with tire carrier, rotopax gas cans, spare, leds in the spare for third brake light, hi lift extreme jack. I also flush mounted some rigid dually lights and put them on a separate switch

Marine grade clarion 4 channel amp 2 channels pushing the 6.5"Marine grade Kicker components, 2 channels pushing the 8" Marine grade Kicker sub and I have 4"x6" Marine grade kicker speakers in the dash

Even got to take it on some trips between projects last year:

bigc3031 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
bigc3031
Leaves nothing stock
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Before I regeared and added the lockers I was able to get Brutus stuck a few times

I added a pro520 CB and a Firestick ant. for some comms

And the fun really began when I installed the Banks Sidewinder Turbo system.

New 62.5mm throttle body

Along with the Turbo system I installed new plugs, Banks header, Magnaflow complete cat system, and Magnaflow performance exhaust which sounds great and doesn't drone. I also added some DEI header wrap on the turbo downpipe as it's pretty close to the starter and I wanted to keep the underhood temps down a bit.

Shortly after the install I smoked my transmission and had to get it rebuilt and upgraded by Capizzi Automotive which is an amazing local shop.
Burnt clutches

My bill wasn't cheap but he does good work. Total out the door was $2907.27, here is what he did:
2/4 upgrade set $64
4/O clutch set $49
OD power pack $86
4/R clutch set $55
OHK with pistons $162
W/B parts kit $147
Accumulator pistons (3) $138 these were aftermarket upgrades and we later found that the computer didn't like them so we only used 1 of the upgraded pistons
Sealing ring kit $23 these are solid rings instead of the factory split seals that leak
Filter kit $21
U/D piston $26
ATF $70
Trans cooler $106
Overhaul kit $123

Axle Pinion Seal $16.10 (bad leak)

Diagnose trans $80
R and R trans $480
Overhaul trans $900
Install cooler kit $200

I know I could have had the work done cheaper elsewhere but John really took time to find solutions to the trans, spent a lot of time driving and tweaking his fixes/upgrades. The bottom line is he added an additional clutch to the 4/O and 4/R sets(this is from memory so if I messed up the nomenclature it's my fault), up'ed the line pressure just a little(it won't allow a lot), and improved the seals throughout. The trans shifts much more positively, the only problem is the computer at this point.
Testing out my new Go Pro camera, didn't have much time to play so I just took a quick spin and a local spot.

As of May 4th I am fighting a cyl. misfire code which Banks is currently working on a new tune for, other than that it runs GREAT!
Projects I am currently working on:
New ODPA, no immediate need for it but I have the Dorman unit and I just need to install.
Replace the ARB front diff cover for the Barnett Performance one sitting on my bench.
Install Genright 4" Aluminum front and rear fenders, inner fenders, stealth light kit.
Order and install Genright aluminum rear corner/fender armor.
Order and install Currie anti rock.
Far future mods:
Swap front D30 to D44 w/ARB airlocker
Regear front and rear to 5.38s
35" Duratracs
17" rims
Big brake upgrade
Genright 25 gal. gas tank
Tummy tuck w/SYE kit
Full roll cage
New seats
Maybe a louvered hood panel
A hell of a lot of off roading
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build and bumpers

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
bigc3031
Leaves nothing stock
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks! It's getting there!
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
02tjsaharah

Looking good! I bet that turbo is a fun sound to hear coming from a jeep!
02tjsaharah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice work on the LJ . I am surprised at how many of the sidewinder kits are popping up on the board . Would you do it again ?
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
bigc3031
Leaves nothing stock
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, I would absolutely do it again! Hands down the most affordable power upgrade available to the average guy ($ per horse). I'll absolutely be adding the inter cooler kit if it comes out. I'm also not upset with some of the issues I've had since the install as I knew the shortcomings of my vehicle and the fact I'm early adopting the sidewinder kit.

A Hemi swap would net more power but it's more than double the price and far more complicated. I've done frame of restomods and have learned there are many complications that can pop up with engine platform swaps.
Unread 05-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
bigc3031
Leaves nothing stock
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Today I installed a PSC louvered hood vent. Very straight forward and easy install. about 2.5 hours to do the job from start to finish.

Remove the hood, don't forget to detach the light, windshield wash hose, and ground strap. Tape the template to the hood and use screwdrivers in the bumper holes to align the template.

Use an awl to mark your holes, remove template, drill using a 1" hole saw. The first one is scary, check your marks twice!

Using a thin kerf metal cutting wheel on my grinder I cut the steel. I did use a straight edge and sharpie to draw lines between holes.

Use the footman loop to hold the panel to the hood and drill your holes for the perimeter fasteners. Once complete remove the panel, paint the cut surface to prevent rust.

Install panel, I put a bead of high temp silicone caulk around the perimeter and in the middle to protect the finish, not required but I thought it would help that much more. Don't over torque the fasteners as they will snap. Replace hood and align to body.

Looks sharp and you can see the heat coming out of the hood now, must be a good thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.