The Bone Yard Special - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
ericfx1984
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The Bone Yard Special

I am the new guy from Missouri...

I bought my XJ in the winter, just before our first REAL snow fell...

I got it for 4 reasons, it looked awesome, had 4x4, had solid axles all the way around and it sat me in a upright position, which was important since I have 3 flattened and slipped disc, one of which is rubbing on my L5 nerve root

My XJ is a 1996, blue(with a hint of purple) 4.0HO Sport, with d30/c8.25 and a 231 transfer case, automatic... power Nothing (all mechanical windows/locks), had 10 hole wheels and 235/75/15 when I got it...

A few days after I bought her

when I got it home I started making a list of things to fix...

this thing leaked oil, coolant, and power steering fluid...

the power steering was worst as it was getting on the header... got a hose for $3 at the junk yard, the hose was so bad that when you would turn the wheel to lock, it would shoot fluid clear across the engine bay!!!

then I decided to change the valve cover gasket, this helped and I found a few disconnected vacuum hoses... but it still leaked oil.... 2 gallons per month!!! at this point I never bothered to change the oil... just kept adding oil... lol

I made a trip to the junk yard, when I got there the snow was just starting to come down, by the time I left, a few hours later... there was close to 6 inches of snow on the ground, and I looked like a freaking snow man!

I was planning on getting some v8 Grand cherokee coils, some spacers and s10 springs... but I got REALLY lucky and just happened to find a Rough Country 3" lifted 97 cherokee... in the glove box I found a receipt book, turned out the Rough country kit was only a year and a half old

walked out with leaf springs, coil springs, axle shims and Rancho steering stabilizer for only $70

then I picked up a set of nearly new JK rubicon shocks for $30

got the lift on, then redrilled the track bar mount also welded the old hole shut, for added strength

also removed the rear sway bar

then did a drive way alignment

drove around on 235/75/16 tires for a month or 2

got tired of that... ended up purchasing a set of five 16x8 Soft 8s wrapped in worn out 285/75/16, with a A/T spare that was also worn out... they vibed pretty badly due to uneven sloped wear that 2 of them had (the other 2 were fine and had about 35% tread they are now used as spares)

they rubbed SO bad I could not turn the wheel at all, so I parked the Jeep and cut the front fenders that same day (the rears where not a problem as I was only driving it on the road at that time)

shortly after this I had to replace the heater core... it was leaking pretty good, damp passenger side floor boards are NOT FUN

then I did the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal... still had a small big leak but not as bad as before...

then I replaced the oil filter housing gaskets... finally NO OIL LEAKS

later I installed a Flowmaster 40, put it right behind the cat converter and just welded on a turn down and connected it to a hanger, nearly new, found at the junk yard for $9

soon after (ago a month or so ago) I wanted new tires... so I ordered a set of Treadwright Gaurd Dog 285/75/16 (they measured 33.25" x 11.25" on the wheel) they came on BFG All Terrain KO sidewalls... not bad for an entire set for only $530 to my door step!

I did not want to risk hurting these tires so it was tire to cut...

cutting the front bumper made me have to relocate the football

then I wanted sway bar disconnects so I made them using the following parts

the front swaybar link, the rear sway bar link

the rear sway bar link mount

a clevis pin (forget the size)

a cotter pin

some washers

some rubber pads

the front and rear links were cut and welded to the proper length

if I did it again I would have used a little thicker clevis pin

Built Not Bought... it means YOU have to turn your own wrenches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.