Bobs boring build. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Bobs boring build.

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #31
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta do something about these factory speakers.......they suck!

bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #32
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice clean build. Keep up the good work!
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Very nice clean build. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I have to drive this heep to work every day, so I can't get too carried away! 33's may be the end result for me, but ya never know!
Got a new sign for Christmas from a friend. I don't roll like that, and it ain't no trophy queen, but I thought it was fun for a few laughs, so I hung it up on the old car port!
p1040714.jpg  
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #34
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up some new speakers. 5 1/4's in the dash with the adapters, and bumped up to 6 1/2's for the pods. Big improvement! Scotty....we need more POWA!!!
p1040718.jpg   p1040724.jpg  
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #35
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The speakers and HU helped alot, but I needed a little more bass to round out the soundstage, so next came a little mono block action follow by a couple 10's in a custom rear enclosure. I chickened out on the box build and simply didn't have the time to build it, so for $100 my local car audio shop built me an enclosure. The speakers are a econo version of Audiobahns. They do ok for the money I spent on them. For now it works.
p1020962.jpg   p1020982.jpg   p1020973.jpg  
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #36
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

With the audio system doable for now it was time to do something about my crappy brakes. Had a close call that almost put my Warn winch into someones trunk, so the search went on for an economical way to upgrade the brakes. I hated the fact that I coudn't lock em up no matter how hard I mashed on the pedal (not that locking em up is a good thing, but you know what I mean). In the end, a little "Black Magic" took care of the braking issue. Sorry, no pics of the install. It's a brake job, so nothing special to look at. Thanks to Blaine and some Black magic pads and Centric rotors, I was back to safe stopping again.
Unread 12-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #37
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Next up....."The Death Wobble Incident!"

I'm about a little over halfway thru my BFG's life span, and out of the blue one day on the way home the 48-52 MPH shimmy hits me on some bumpy road, so I said to myself, "self, just power thru it and it'll go away"! Bad idea! It just about ended my days! After that incident and two or three different balancing attemps to the tires I did what so many others do and throw more parts at it! On goes a JKS adjustable trackbar,and what the heck, lets upgrade the steering to some ZJ goodness. This helped alot, but as many of us know, it was only a temporary solution to the real problem.
100_0629-2.jpg  
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #38
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

With things driving/running pretty good (knocks on wood!), the short term list will include as funds allow:

1. Front lower Currie JJ's
2. Front upper Currie's
3. Novac cable TC shift linkage

Further down the longterm line:

4. BL/MML...undecided on what brand yet(Currie, JKS, Savvy, Daystar) I'm liking the Daystar. Dafuzz featured those on his build and I like the fact it replaces the factory mount bushings. Not sure if they squeek though since they are poly.
5. Rear upper Currie JJ CA's
6. SYE/DC DS
7. short throw shifter for my NV3550 trans(not sure if they make one yet. B&M shows up to 02 but not 03+)
8. TT under armor of some sort, Savvy, UCF, Rokmen.
9. Wheels/tires: this may come sooner than later in the lineup. 32's or possiblly 33's(would like to regear if I go 33's)
Unread 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #39
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So my stereo system was sounding ok, but I wanted to put more power to the dash and pod speakers, so I added this to ramp em up a bit and dial in the rears better.....Hope I don't cross any deep creeks!
p1020970.jpg  
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #40
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

With more power to the front/rear speakers, it was sounding pretty darn good. I liked having the subs, but hated losing the extra storage room. It finally got to a point I had to lose the subs in lieu of more storage, so I sold the subs and box to a fellow forum member and decided to put an 8" slimline sub in the center console to even things out. Now my center console didn't have the factory sub, just a storage compartment. I took the center console out, drilled out the rivits holding the inner pocket to the outer console and fabbed a top out of MDF, epoxied it to the top of the inner pocket and lined it with carpet. I then lined the entire outside of the inner pocket with dynamat, put some polyfill inside the pocket and mounted the sub. I took sheetmetal screws and screwed the inner pocket back in place to the outside console shell and wired it up to my amp. I was quite surprised how well the sub worked(earthquake slimline 8").
http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm
p1020974.jpg   p1020997.jpg   p1020998.jpg  
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #41
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Now you can be called "boombox bob" !
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #42
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's gotta nice ring to it! How bout this. Badass Boombox Bob's Boring Build! Say that 3 times real fast!
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #43
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I cant!
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #44
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Two down, Six more to go! If you're on the fence about the Currie arms, hop that fence and come on over! Major improvement on the handling! The wheel feels firmer and more in control, and the ride is not rough like some may claim. Course this is just the front lowers. I can't wait to get the uppers! Anybody got some used Currie front uppers they don't want anymore?
100_0630.jpg  
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #45
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot about these. I picked them up when I got the JKS track bar. Dirk at DPG gave me great deal on them. Got them just in case I change my mind on lift. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may someday go with AR rear, but that's a long way away!
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...ar_Disconnects
p1040732.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.