The Blurple XJ build . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Blurple XJ build .

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 09-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Blurple XJ build .

I have been looking for a 2 door XJ ever since our 4 door got totaled in April of 2011 .

Kimbo and the kids were rear ended by a guy doing 45 mph and not paying attention while they were sitting at a stop light . The roof was bowed upwards , the rear doors wouldnt open and one tire was always just off the ground . No one was hurt , and she drove it 30 miles home . Needless to say it was totaled and they wanted way more for it than I wanted to pay to keep a parts rig . The black 2 door belongs to a friend of mine , though I wish I had been able to get it to replace the 4 door .

After a lot of searching and trips to go see clunkers I found the near perfect 2 door XJ for me in Goldsboro NC .

It is a 99 2 door 6 cylinder automatic with a 231 tcase . It has awesome AC , cruise control , power windows and locks that all work . The body is in good shape , though the roof needs to be repainted . The interior is ridiculously clean but it desperately needs a headliner . There is no rust , and the oil leaks are minimal . It has a new head (not a junkyard head ) all new valves , head gasket , radiator , water pump, hoses , thermomstat , and exhaust manifold . It drives well and the steering is tight . The suspension is flat wore out , but that and the headliner were all that I could find wrong with it . After a little negotiating the seller and I came to an agreement and I loaded it up . Its tough to negotiate when you show up with a rented trailer and you both know how rare the vehicle you want is .

Once the money changed hands I loaded it up for the ride home behind my Pop's old truck . It towed Blurpee ( as the kids call it ) home with nary a problem .

Here it is off the trailer an freshly stickered .

The following day Hannah and I washed , clay barred and waxed blurple . She then drove it around the yard for an hour or so in 4 low . Since then she has laid claim to it when she turns 16 , and now tells everyone that she has her own XJ .

The goal of this build is to end up with a solid driver that will also be a light wheeler . Think more expo/ cross country/ mountain roads than full blown crawler . The front is going to get adjustable arms and johnny joints in the axle side mounts . The springs are going to be Old Man Emus , dampened by Fox Shocks . I dont plan on regearing as it mortally flies and I am just going to metric 31's . The rear has a limited slip , and I may install an ARB up front . I will make my own bumpers unless an ARB pops up cheap , and I will also make my own sliders . A cage is a possibility, but that will be a ways down the road for this rig . The tires and wheels are off of Rubicon , but they wont be here until Christmas at the earliest as they are in Missouri . And the last big add on will be a set of Notch Customs flares .

This brings us to today . The rear license plate valance was looking rough , so I decided to give plasti dip a try .

I used the mad skills I learned from Hendrix to tape everything up.

Heres the end end result . The one thing I really like about plasti dip is that the overspray rubs off

After the valance was finished I went ahead and plasti dipped the four flares to clean them up until the Notch flares come back in stock . Then I sprayed Krylon dual on the bumpers and end caps . It made a big difference in how it looked , and all in all it was an easy project .

Next up is going to be replacing the door pins and bushings which doesnt appear to be a fun job . The doors dont sag much , but I would rather change them now before the holes become elongated .

If you havent seen my other builds heres the links .
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...build-1055533/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/t...build-1427938/

They will help explain my craziness a little better .

Unread 09-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
ngrubich
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That XJ is clean!!!
It's amazing how ~$10 in some spray paint can make an XJ look new. I did it a few years back on mine, but the paint is chipping off now and it looks worse than before lol. I don't remember the brand, but I believe it was labeled as a "bumper paint."

Do you plan on putting another ARB bumper on this XJ?

Are you talking about the small door pin that holds the door check in the door jamb? I've had to replace the door pins on my driver's door (and the bracket in the door jamb that it sits in) a few times and it's not too bad. Lining up the door check arm without having it pop back into the door is a bit of a pain but overall it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
That XJ is clean!!!
It's amazing how ~$10 in some spray paint can make an XJ look new. I did it a few years back on mine, but the paint is chipping off now and it looks worse than before lol. I don't remember the brand, but I believe it was labeled as a "bumper paint."
I looked for a long time before I bought this one , and while it has a few flaws it is almost as clean as it looks . I was surprised at how much difference the flares and bumper made . I cant wait til I get the Notch flares here and installed as I think they are going to look awesome .

Quote:
Do you plan on putting another ARB bumper on this XJ?
If I can find one for a fair price the answer is yes , but I dont like spending a lot of money on one when I can make my own bumper for a lot less money. The one thing I really like about the ARB is how well it held up after getting pushed into the back of another care when the XJ was rear ended .

Quote:
Are you talking about the small door pin that holds the door check in the door jamb? I've had to replace the door pins on my driver's door (and the bracket in the door jamb that it sits in) a few times and it's not too bad. Lining up the door check arm without having it pop back into the door is a bit of a pain but overall it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes.
I am referring to the actual door pins in the hinges . The doors have sagged a little and Dorman offers a replacement pin with brass bushings that takes care of the droop .
Unread 09-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's cleaning up really nice! Keep up the good work!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So when is the chrome grill going on? I have to say I really like these two doors, and if I didn't already have a dd I'd really be looking for one. This may have been a more practical route for Tate's dd/school hauler also...... Oh well. Looking forward to what you do with it.
Unread 09-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
It's cleaning up really nice! Keep up the good work!
Thanks , now to find a Comanche bed to make a trailer out of
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
So when is the chrome grill going on? I have to say I really like these two doors, and if I didn't already have a dd I'd really be looking for one. This may have been a more practical route for Tate's dd/school hauler also...... Oh well. Looking forward to what you do with it.
I am looking for a chrome grille as we speak ! If its going to sit in my driveway its going to have a chrome grille . I love the two doors , but I think Tates TJ is perfect for him especially where you guys live .
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great looking xj! One of my considerations for a DD
Unread 09-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Great looking xj! One of my considerations for a DD
Thanks , it took me forever to find this one down here . I can only imagine how few good ones are left up there
Unread 09-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Beautiful. Love the color and the two door flavor. Only extra I would've wanted is the rear vent windows

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Beautiful. Love the color and the two door flavor. Only extra I would've wanted is the rear vent windows
I like the vented windows , but I also like how clean the rear looks without them. If a set were to pop up I would have to consider them .
Unread 09-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I want a set of these for the XJ but I was a little nervous as they are fiberglass and not a flexible plastic .
http://notchcustoms.com/product/m-max-fender-flares/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh27bplIX1o
After watching the video I feel a lot better about spending my money on them. Now begins the wait for them to come back in stock though I am still unsure about the mounting system .
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
bskool
1998 ZJ 

I love the look of the XJs, I have yet to find a decent one around here though. My ZJ needs a cousin to park next to
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
mgclark6

Great start! Here is a thought for the roof". I had linex put a thick coat on the pealing roof of my daughters 2dr XJ
image-1395060480.jpg

mgclark6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgclark6 View Post
Great start! Here is a thought for the roof". I had linex put a thick coat on the pealing roof of my daughters 2dr XJ
Thats not bad at all . How much did that cost ?
Unread 09-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #15
mgclark6

It was a little steep at $400.00 if i remember correctly, but I'll never have to worry about it again.
mgclark6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.