BlueGerbil - a XJ from Germany - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > BlueGerbil - a XJ from Germany

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

BlueGerbil - a XJ from Germany

A jeepers work is never done...

What started as a spontaneous buy back in 2000 has evolved - somehow - to something, that affects large parts of our life.

I bought a 1990 XJ, stock, back in 2000 and since then it somehow change itīs shape, it finds some more parts to add and it keeps me busy all the time. Damn thing!

Later it got two smaller brothers, but thatīs another story.

OK, now some pictures...

Stock as stock could be...

Itīs one of about 350 ever built "Cherokee Colorado" - 4.0, Laredo package + factory hitch, some tubing to protect the rockers, a bullbar with two Hella lights, some "premium speakers" , no power seats, no AC, non-HO. The "Colorado" package was just for the german market. The Laredos where shipped to Germany and then modified to the specifications mentioned above.

The first modifications started to roll in:

- Alpine stereo
- Optima Yellow battery
- 2" OME lift
- 31" BFG MT on stock wheels
- Kaymar rear bumper w/ spare carrier and work light
- and of course - for the use on the german Autobahn : a Safari snorkel

Our first roof mounted tent was added and off to northern Norway we went - 5000 miles without a problem.

Drinking, driving and falling asleep isnīt a good idea - so in 2002 I crashed into a large traffic sign and did some damage to the XJ. Noboby was injured and since then: No beer when driving.

Some months later weīve got the Jeep back on the street.

- All damage was repaired
- Added front bumper with small Hella HID lights
- Added longer shakles, an add-a-leaf and some spacer
- Swapped the ugly stock wheels for some black steelies
- Swapped the 31" BFG MTs for a set of 32" BFG MTs
- Added light guards and white clear corners
- Added Thule fullsize roof rack

Then I bought a set of built axles - D30/35 w/ 4.56, chromoly shafts and Detroit Lockers f&r. I added a set of Scheelmann seats and a Hannibal roof rack as well.

My wife has bought another XJ as a daily driver - another one of the 350 "Colorado" XJs and I got me a clean ī94 XJ Limited as a daily driver. It came w/ a 4.5" Rusty lift - part swapping time!

So my offroad rig got bigger, the 4.5" kit and the budget boost gave me around 6" of lift, the daily driver got the 2" OME suspension.

The 4.56 w/ the 32" tires make it fly! We did some trips to the french & italian alps w/ this setup and really like it. The 6" lift led to the purchase of a Tom Woods SYE for the 242 and a custom driveshaft. SS brake lines were added.

Last edited by BlueGerbil; 01-24-2010 at 04:20 AM..
BlueGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The next summer saw us cruising through southern France w/ an ARB front bumper with a set of thick, fat Hella Rallye 4000 HIDs which I scored for cheap. We visited Euro Camp Jeep in Sigean and on the way back did a short detour through the alps again. A set of hood louvers and a Kaymar jerry can carrier found their way onto the Jeep as well as a Mean Green alternator. The yellow Optima went into my daily driven XJ and the trail XJ got a blue one w/ 75Ah.

Time for some more lift and bigger tires! 7.5" TJ front coils, 5.5" leafs in the rear, 35" BFG MTs and a set of Bushwacker fender flares were aquired and installed.

The steelies had the wrong backspacing, so wheel spacers were needed to minimize tire rubbing. A Warn 9.5XP was shoehorned into the ARB bumper and a set of Bilstein 5150 replaced the worn out Rusty shocks.

Internal modifications include a Borla header, a cone filter setup mated to the snorkel and a Garmin GPSMAP 276.

What do you get when you mix a Dana 35, 35" tires and a stupid right foot? Yeah, you get the need for a new rear axle. So a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes was fitted w/ a Detroit Locker, a Crane cover and 4.56 gears and the drive shaft was modified for the Ford axle.

The Dana 30 was bent as well (did I mention the stupid right foot I had this particular day?) and a fitting Dana 44 wasnīt available or fundable, so another Dana 30 was made to last - 4.56, no locker, chromoly shafts, an axle truss, skid plates and new brake lines completed the new front end setup. A set of 8.5x15" alloy wheels replaced the black steelies. A set of PIAA fog lights and smoked side markers were added to the ARB bumper, the battery got some heavy duty cabling.

Last edited by BlueGerbil; 01-24-2010 at 05:08 AM..
BlueGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 04:46 AM   #3
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The next round of upgraded included a Bilstein steering stabilizer, in-cab winch controls, new muffler, some fender and front-skid cutting and a Garmin GPSMAP 278.

The I got the opportunity to buy a tentrax trailer from a friend - so I bought it A Currie HD steering system and a Currie trackbar was added as well.

I got some clear Lexan covers for my large HIDs (Hella, a german company, doesnīt sell it over here, so I had to import them from the US), added a second GPS (GPSMAP 620) to the ****pit (weīre into geocaching and are taking part in the Degree Confluence Project) and a plasma rope.

Unread 01-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The last addition was a LED light bar with sixty 3W LED modules to the roof rack - I had a thread here at JF.COM about it w/ some beam shots.

Plans for the future:

- T&T Longarm Upgrade
- Replace the 60 LED modules with 80 LED modules (the 60 was bought by a friend)
- 241 RockTrac tranny
- rocker protection
- frame stiffener
- perimeter lightning
- cage
- convert it to a two-seater
- install a wooden platform for storage (Engel fridge, some water, stuff...)
- Stroker
- 35x12.5R18
- tube fenders
- Dynatrac Dana44 Trail Serie front axle (4.88, ARB, 5x5.5")
- Super88 kit
- much more to come...
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

Great looking Jeep!! I have one question did your rack ontop change?

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
omgwtfbbqcopter

Wow, very impressive XJ! I see you're from Darmstadt; are you an american stationed overseas (or retired overseas) or a German citizen that's extremely fluent in English? (lol)

German spec Jeeps are not seen often, and are DEFINITELY not common around my area.
omgwtfbbqcopter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnev View Post
Great looking Jeep!! I have one question did your rack ontop change?
Yeah, itīs the 3rd roof rack but I think now itīs the final one. Iīm quite good at finding deals and selling stuff used on ebay for a good price so it didnīt hurt that much.

The current rack is made by an south africa based company and itīs quite light since itīs out of aluminium.
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #8
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbqcopter View Post
Wow, very impressive XJ! I see you're from Darmstadt; are you an american stationed overseas (or retired overseas) or a German citizen that's extremely fluent in English? (lol)

German spec Jeeps are not seen often, and are DEFINITELY not common around my area.
Thanks! Iīm German, never been to the US yet.
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:10 AM   #9
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do like that rack how is the wind noise with it up there?

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
karlo

Nice looking rig. Seems that all the good stuffs are installed.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #11
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnev View Post
I do like that rack how is the wind noise with it up there?
No problems - the wind noise is perfectly covered by the noises from the tires and the various squeaks and rattles from the whole vehicle.
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

lol then it is perfect!

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
SonOfTheRebel
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're cherokee looks great... I think I seen it a couple of times in Ballenstadt?

and it looks you been to Mammut and Geilenkirchen?

I think I recognize some places.

Greetings from your Neighbour out the West.
SonOfTheRebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
coolens98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is my favorite cherokee now.

[SIZE="4"]SUPPORT JF[/SIZE]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/support-jeepforum-equipment-drive-963790/[/url]
coolens98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
BlueGerbil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTheRebel View Post
You're cherokee looks great... I think I seen it a couple of times in Ballenstadt?
I think weīve already met in Ballenstedt, I remember helping somebody pushing his camper around in 2009.

And if I didnīt mix it up I met you and your parents in Fleesensee on the Euro Camp Jeep where we were with the Paris-NewYork Jeeps of Matthias Jeschke - I was the big guy w/ the camera Your father was a very pleasant guy to meet!

Havenīt been in Geilenkirchen yet, but Mammut Park is correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.