Blue Fury's Revenge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Blue Fury's Revenge

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Blue Fury's Revenge

Well i started a thread on what kind of shackles were on my new to me YJ and then it started becoming more of a gathering ideas for this jeep sink decided it would be more beneficial to start a build thread.

So a few weeks ago I bought a 91 wrangler. 2.5L high pinion vacuums disconnect 30 and 35 combo with 4:10 gears. This jeep ran great drove straight had a new clutch and so I bought it and drove it home.

This YJ stuff is so new to me. My previous jeeps were a 98 wrangler SE. That was my first jeep. It had 31" Dakota Definity MTs, a Rubicon Express budget boost and shocks. It was a great jeep. I sold it and got a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited full on long arm wheeling build on 35" MTR/K. Loved that Jeep. Sold it because we were having our 3rd kid and I couldn't fit everyone in it. Mistake!

So my wife is a stay at home mom now which means my vehicle is just to get me back and forth to work and that is all. So I sold my Acura TSX and bought the YJ. I am much happier driving this old beat up YJ than I ever was driving the Acura.

Here we are.

Plans for this one:

1. Fix the drivetrain stuff. Exhaust leaks bad, Trans mount is in 3 pieces, motor mounts are worn out, skid is rusted and held on with U-bolts. That's right I said U-bolts.

2. repair the rust. Bottom corner of the fenders and rockers are soft. I'll patch that. Then replace drivers floor board.

3. Address the suspension. Shocks are worn out but work okay. Leads are beat and the homemade shackles need to go.

4. Cosmetic stuff like repaint. I'm thinking of the rustoleum roll on method. And some different fender flares/maybe fenders.

The end result if perfect will be: a Hendrix hood, maybe rokmen highlines and a tastefull low lift and stretch to slide some meats in the wheel wells. That's light years away though.

For now it's get it driving real nice with all things working and pretty it up. A nice clean YJ.

Here she is as she sits now

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Well this is going to be a slow build. Mostly due to 1. I am not made of money have three kids and a mortgage. 2. The wife isn't very supportive of my jeep habit.

In the mean time I have gotten a couple things done.

The new cat and muffler is all welded up and the bad hangars have been replaced so now the exhaust sounds much much better and there are no more fumes in the cab.

I hit all the body rust with a rust converter to slow it down till I can get started replacing panels.

Go the parts I need to make the trans crossmember. Now I need to massage the tub to make a flat skid.

I plan on building the crossmember at the end of the month while I'm taking a much needed week off of work.

I get the bikini, windjammer, and tonneau combo put on so that helps a lot with keeping the rain out.

I also picked up some TJ flares that I'll put on during my time off.

When I fix the rockers I'm thinking of either putting on some used rubicon rocker guards or making Anser of sliders myself. If I can make them for less than 150 I'll gothat route. I need to sketch this stuff out.

Well mark the next thing off the list

The new fuel pump is in so better fuel pressure equals better driving

A week or so after I bought the fury i was driving away from discount tire with a very nice set of new to me falken tires and I went to shift to 3rd only to find the clutch pedal was on the floor and it wouldn't come out of gear. I pumped the pedal a few times and boom I had pedal again.

So I threw some brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder ( which from here on out will be called CMC since I type on an iPhone ) and limped it along for a couple weeks till I had time to change it.

To verify this was the problem I found this

Clutch master was leaking down the front and back of the firewall.

Here's the CMC out. It should be dry so this thing was leaking a lot.

The new CMC from my favorite Orielly auto parts where hotrodhooligans works Is cast not plastic which made me a happy happy guy.

All installed she is feeling MUCH better. Shifts smoother and the clutch pedal finally gives me the push back I always wanted. Until the new one was installed I had no idea how very sloppy the clutch pedal was. It's like driving a different jeep.

A couple notes on installation.

You don't have to push the roll pin all the way out of the old one to remove the line.

Big tip here:

Tap in the roll pin on the new CMC before you install it. This makes driving the pin in afterward much easier. Trying to install the roll pin after the CMC is bolted up is next to impossible. I used some channel locks on each side of the CMC to push the pin in the rest of the way once the CMC was installed.

Here's how fury looks when he's happy

In a couple weeks I will build and install the trans crossmember

Here's the plan

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Unread 09-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Saved

\/ \/ \/
EPIC

Tags
recoil , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.