Blitz134's 90 YJ Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Blitz134's 90 YJ Build

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #76
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post
Spent some time on the front bumper this weekend. Lets just say it took a bit of massaging to get it to fit on the frame. In my design, I tried to leave some room for the welds, but I didn't leave enough. I also didn't account for some support brackets on the front frame cross member. But eventually I got things to fit up pretty well. I did have to slot the mounting holes by about 3/8". If I built another one, I think I could make it "drop on" with none of the cleanup that I had to do.

I'm hoping to bend and weld the front hoop on tomorrow. Went ahead and primed and painted the backside of the bumper so it doesn't have to come off again. Here are a few pics:
Absolutely love. I keep thinking of selling mine that I built and build me another one more low an sleek like yours, but sink my winch down in between the frame rails.

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #77
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Absolutely love. I keep thinking of selling mine that I built and build me another one more low an sleek like yours, but sink my winch down in between the frame rails.
Thanks. I like how it has turned out so far. I considered sinking the winch, but it would have taken more work to pull it off than I wanted to tackle. I didn't want to get into relocating the front cross member, which I think would only need to move back to underneath the grill. Not sure how that would play with the steering box...there would be some challenges...

1990 YJ - Trying to sell - Previous Build
blitz134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #78
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Been working on the bumpers the last couple of weekends. Went out to a buddy's house (a fellow Jeeper) to bend some tubing for the front hoop and the rear bumper swing arm. His CJ5 in the background is getting a stretch, links, D60s, and 40s...oh...and a V8 stroker.

Getting a little closer to finishing the rear.

And the front bumper is finished. I'm very happy with how it has turned out.

Ordered a new set of fuel filler and vent hoses today, too. One of mine finally started to seep through a preexisting crack. Its always something!

Unread 04-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #79
ginger-mech
1963 CJ5 

I really like that front bumper. Looks great.

Sent from [REDACTED] using JeepForum
ginger-mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #80
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nothing too exciting...I swear I'm slowly building a new Jeep one part at a time...

A couple of weeks back I put on new fuel filler lines since mine had dry rotted and started to seep fuel. Picked them up from mtscompany.com...quick service and reasonable prices. I had difficulty finding these locally.

Easy to swap!

My heater core has been slowly leaking more and more lately. Replaced it last night. Pretty easy job, especially compared to other heater core swaps I have done in the past on other vehicles. I found a couple posts on this process, but I'll post up my pics as well to possibly help others.

First, remove the battery tray. Later, you'll need to remove four nuts to get the heater core/duct box out. The hidden one is the one on the driver side of the firewall, just to the side of the valve cover.

Be sure to drain the fluid first...

Before you remove the four nuts, disconnect two of the cables on the front of the ventilation box and the blower motor wiring harness. Then you can remove the four nuts and pull the box out.

Once the box is free, you can remove the last cable.

Here it is removed. Start to take all of the screws out to access the heater core.

Once the box is open, remove the two screws to free the heater core from the metal panel, and install the new one. I carefully removed the foam from my original core and used spray adhesive to attach it to the new one. I also scraped the black RTV and applied a fresh coat.

The next step is the trickiest. Put the panel back on the box, but be sure to align the core and the two flapper valve pivot rods back in their correct holes...all without coating everything with the fresh black RTV that was applied.

Reassembly is just in the opposite order. Top off with coolant when you are done!

Unread 07-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #81
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks just like mine when I got it.... Now it's completely different
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #82
boatsandhose
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good looking rig! Looks like it is coming along nicely. May I ask why you chose to swap the carb? I can't imagine it gets very cold in socal.
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #83
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsandhose View Post
Good looking rig! Looks like it is coming along nicely. May I ask why you chose to swap the carb? I can't imagine it gets very cold in socal.
Thanks. The swap to a TBI fuel injection had less to do with it being a carb. The carb in these older Jeeps are plagued with issues due to all of the associated emissions equipment that is tacked on. If I wasn't in California I would have considered getting a better carb and pulling much of the emissions equipment, but unfortunately I am stuck with the overly restrictive emissions requirements by this state. Any engine upgrades have to be approved by the California Air Resource Board (CARB) and the Howell kit is approved.

Swapping over allowed me to eliminate all of the hokey emissions equipment and tangle of hoses under the hood. It also made the Jeep crank almost instantly, it idles great prior to engine warm up, and will ultimately offer better off-camber performance and high altitude performance (live at sea level...lots of trails up at 8 kft). Carbs struggle with both of those. Also, I have only had a carb'd engine once, so I really don't have much experience setting one up. The TBI is a pretty simple setup (basically electronic carb), not too much to go wrong and basically install it and forget it. It has been a great swap.

If I didn't live in California, I would have done a junkyard MPFI swap off of a 91+ 4.0L Jeep.

Unread 11-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #84
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

It has been forever since I've posted any progress...mainly because I haven't had any. The fiance and I moved into a new place about 3 months ago and it has been constant house work...but before we moved in we worked on the place for three months. It is a good situation for us: renting from a coworker, offsetting rent by renovating his parent's old place, big house on 3/4 acre in Orange Co. This will hold us over until we move in a few years to get our own place. We are just now getting settled and in a position where I can work on the Jeep with a clear conscience again.

The best thing about the new place is the two car garage with rear storage area...and ample parking! No more parking my daily driver behind a nearby grocery store every night risking break-ins or getting towed. With all of driveway parking, the garage is now a dedicated workshop for me!

I have picked up a few new shop tools lately: tube notcher, metal bandsaw, and large tool cabinet. The garage already had a large drill press. And we'll eventually be wiring to handle a 220V welder. New tools:

I finally fixed my cheap Chinese exterior door handles. For the past six months I have been reaching through the vent window to open the doors. It is hard to explain, but the linkage of the handles would deflect causing the exterior handle to "pop" and become non functional. I figured out how to setup the linkage so that this doesn't happen any more. Here is a pic that shows how I adjusted it properly.

The trick is to adjust the lower "j" or "u" bar (A) such that you have some play in the handle before any stress is put on the small linkages. This results in a gap between the two door handle linkages (Circled as B). If the vertical linkage is too far to the left, the little lower linkage will kick past it if your doors are the least bit difficult to open. Don't adjust it too far to the right or the handle wont' have enough throw to pop the latch. Hopefully that will help someone out.

Finally, I started to work on the rear tire carrier again using the new tools. I want to get the bumper finished up within the next two weeks. I still have the latch to figure out. The notcher makes for a nice fit! The tire mounting plate will attach to the end...its on order:

I'm also ordering a big accessory tonight which will truly finish my front bumper! Pics when it arrives.

Unread 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #85
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That front bumper looks awesome! I think I have and idea what its missing to...

I think a hood hoop would also be beneficial on it. Great work!!

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #86
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's nice to be working on the Jeep again. Trying to take care of some small things I have been putting off for a bit. Over the last couple of days I finally added some interior door handles. These are from Rugged Ridge...I like the quality...for once:

Also made a CAD housing cover using many of my new tools. Installed a speedometer gear too (no pics...easy job...well documented on the interwebs)

And now the fun part...Warn M8000-s winch. Finished the install tonight by shortening the power cables. Now I'm just waiting on new battery post clamps so I can make the final connection and power it. Had to pull the bumper to mount it...not to bad...makes it much harder to be stolen. I also got a new battery since my other one probably wasn't up to the task of the winch. I'll have some pics of that later...I'm doing some other rewiring after being inspired by other threads

I'm glad the winch fits as well as it does and there were no surprises.

Excited for an upcoming trip out to Joshua Tree in a couple of weekends. No hardcore wheelin', but the Jeep will see dirt again...its been a while...maybe I'll actually take pictures this time.

Unread 11-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #87
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Been updating the electrical due to the winch install. Decided to dig in a little deeper than I had to, but I like the results:

First off, swapped the battery to a Diehard Platinum 34/78 series since my previous battery wasn't big enough for the winch. Swapped out the battery post clamps to allow easier attachment of the big cables and upgraded the wiring to the starter, alternator, and starter relay. Also added in new grounds to frame, alternator, body, and head, which tie back either directly to the battery or to a ground stud on the fender. A new 60amp circuit breaker is to the right of the battery (more on that later).

The new addition of the compressor is also pretty obvious. This unit is highly liked on this site and should serve tire air-up duty well. At $60 bucks from Pepboys its cheap enough to replace when it wears out. I'll eventually add a little tank to add a little reserve capacity for lockers. There is enough room next to the compressor to mount the coiled air hose, just need to find a way to secure it.

In between the battery and compressor is a small relay-fuse box which is powered by the 60A circuit breaker. I wanted to have a small power distribution center for future electrical needs and to hard wire the compressor to. I also did the common headlight relay mod and utilized two of the relays in the box for that.

I utilized Delphi weatherpak connectors, which coupled with the box, should give a reliable setup that should fend off water pretty well. Grounds tie back to the panel and then are jumpered to the ground stud for a good connection.

The relay-fuse box idea came from this post: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/a...ssman-1453156/ I didn't order the exact parts list from that post, but most of the list. It took me a little bit to wrap my head around all of the small parts, but I'm very happy with how this has all turned out.

Unread 11-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #88
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

In other news, finally got the Jeep through smog again yesterday. I really hate California smog laws...

First a little background...California recently introduced a new level of smog check station certification...called "Star Certified." Certain vehicles will be flagged and required to go to these sites, supposedly to get a higher level of inspection...well...I got flagged to go due to the age of the Jeep and my pass smog history (several failures before I bought it). Unfortunately my normal smog shop isn't Star Certified.

First shop I went to didn't know what to do with my smog approved Howell fuel injection kit and told me I needed to go to a state smog referee. These guys are known to be extremely picky (some of them more so than others). They did an hour long visual inspection of my Jeep and flagged me for four things, even though I passed the sniffer test with no issues. They wanted me to add a "check engine" sticker to my light, adjust my timing (this was legit), change my PCV hose to fuel rated (not the heater hose I was using), and reroute my exhaust (I have it ran using the TJ routing which goes in front of the oil pan sump, instead of underneath it). This last one is total BS as that small amount of difference in routing has nothing to do with my emissions. PLUS...I passed the sniffer test...my Jeep runs clean. Luckily I didn't have to return to the ref to get the final buy off...a normal shop could take care of me to check the four items and rerun the sniffer test and evap system test.

I've been busy the past couple of months, but I finally fixed three of the little issues, but I left the exhaust. I had a full stainless steel exhaust ran about a year ago, so I was hoping I could pass that off as "new" and the tech wouldn't check the exact details of the routing. I went in yesterday and passed without issue...although the guy was a little hesitant at first, but turned out to be familiar with the Howell system and was then very helpful. I had been outright turned down before b/c some shops will only do 100% stock vehicles.

Glad to be legal again...already been pulled over once for expired tags (got off)...even though I'm paid up, you don't get a sticker until smog is done. Can't wait until I move away, but I'll probably have to deal with this one more time.

Unread 02-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #89
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Been looking for a family roll bar for a while now and finally found one at a good price a few days back. It was a little unnerving driving 65-70 mph for about an hour without the sport bar to go and pick it up...and no real seat belt. I had to remove it from a scrap Jeep and install it into mine. Painted it silver/gray like my old bar and re-installed it this morning. Installed a new Bestop Safari top as well. Its been unseasonably warm and dry in SoCal this winter, so actually nice weather for no hard top. With the way it is going we might not see real rain until next winter...no good!

I have to say, I love the way my Jeep looks now! Definitely digging the family-style bar and top.

Hope to finish the rear tire carrier this week. Finally getting some time to get back to Jeeping. New house and upcoming wedding have killed a lot of my Jeep time over the last year.

Unread 03-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #90
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Really loving your build blitz! Wish I had some of your know how.... Anyway I want to do the family bar too and was wondering if everything should just bolt up or if there is some fab involved? Much appreciated and again, great work.
2.5L 4" RC w/ 5/8" shackles & N2.0 shocks, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R Kevlars on 15x8 Pro Comp 51 wheels, Superwinch X9 w/ remote solenoids, SRC front bumper, custom rear bumper/carrier/jerry can rack, Warn rocker guards, Hi-Lift jack, Cobra HH 38WX handheld, electric fan mod

SquareLamps' Slow YJ Build
SquareLamps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.