Blitz134's 90 YJ Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Blitz134's 90 YJ Build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #61
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have also been playing around with Solidworks at work to draft up a front bumper. Here are some screenshots...any thoughts?

My main goal was to go away from a simple tube in the front and stay with a more C-channel design, similar to the stock bumper. This should prevent the bumper from sticking out and reducing the approach angle. I've also tried to reinforce the shackle tabs into the back of the bumper with some additional bracing that needs to be notched to go around the stock x-member. Top plate is 1/4", while the remainder is 3/16" plate. Bar is 1-3/4" diameter, 0.120" wall. Calculated weight is 45 lbs. The winch is a Warn M8000, I got the dimensions off of their website. There is also enough room to mount one of those slick 10" wide LED light bars on the underside of the round bar (they are a little $$$ though).

Does anyone know the standard bend radius (center line) for a 1.75" diameter tube bender die?

1990 YJ - Trying to sell - Previous Build
blitz134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #62
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rock sliders arrived late last week. I need to do a little trimming to get them to clear the front Defender flares. These are Shrockworks for a YJ with TJ flares. I wanted the tube step to help with getting in and out of the Jeep. I liked how these tied back into the body mounts to keep from crushing the tub if you were to hit the tubes hard. We'll see if they squeak or not...I'm not too worried about that.

Hopefully I can work on these soon...had to work on the GFs Subaru this past weekend...

Unread 01-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #63
khwrx
1992 YJ Wrangler 

nice build man, im currently building a 92 yj . check it out if you have time. subbed
khwrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #64
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Build! love the Poison Spyder defenders and hood louver. I plan on doing the same to my heep.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #65
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH00T3R View Post
Nice Build! love the Poison Spyder defenders and hood louver. I plan on doing the same to my heep.
Thanks! I definitely like them.

The other day, I realized I've had my Jeep for a year now! I'm pretty happy with its current state, but I haven't been as motivated to work on it lately. Partly I have been busy with other things, but I've also been a little mad at it since I broke a newly installed exterior door handle. I think I'm generally mad about the poor quality of replacement parts that are available. I hate doing things twice. Are OEM quality black exterior door handles available?

I was able to get one of the rocker guards on a couple of weeks back, no pics yet...I thought I had some, but wasn't able to find them. I should have the other on this weekend. They take a little time to install since I have to do a little trimming to fit with the front fender flares and have to paint them.

I also received a package from A to Z fab with some parts for the front and rear bumpers. I have tweaked the design a little bit, but it is in general the same. I just need to get a quote to get the steel laser or water-jet cut and then I can build.

4x clevis mounts w/ clevises, HD rear bumper swing out pivot, rear bumper builders kit (2" hitch, 2x clevis mounts, mounting plates with hardware), and an aluminum hawse fairlead.

Unread 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #66
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I found both door exterior door handles and tailgate handle for $20 on eBay. When I get home ill send ya the link. I think the seller has all kinds of OEM stuff.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #67
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet build man! Lots of ideas...thx

Subscribed!

Matt
1hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #68
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Now that it's tax season, I ended up with a little extra cash to put towards the Jeep. Figured I would finally try to finish up the bumpers.

The front bumper steel order went in today. I have been tweaking the design some lately, so it is a little different than the original pics I posted above, but it is basically the same. Once I decided to get the steel plate laser or water jet cut, I made a few tweaks to hopefully make the finished project a little more professional looking.

I'm having all of my steel cut out by a local shop called Serra Laser. It appears that they also do mail orders. It helps if you can generate the cut-out drawing for them. Since I have access to CAD software, I was able to do this without much issue.

All in all it was a little less than $200 to get all of the pieces cut out of 3/16" and a top plate out of 1/4"...reasonable IMHO. By the end of this, I think I'll be in for about 50% of the price of an equivalent bumper from an offroad shop. With laser or waterjet cutting you can get quite creative with the design.

I should be able to pick up the cutouts in a few days...

Unread 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #69
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post
Now that it's tax season, I ended up with a little extra cash to put towards the Jeep. Figured I would finally try to finish up the bumpers.

The front bumper steel order went in today. I have been tweaking the design some lately, so it is a little different than the original pics I posted above, but it is basically the same. Once I decided to get the steel plate laser or water jet cut, I made a few tweaks to hopefully make the finished project a little more professional looking.

I'm having all of my steel cut out by a local shop called Serra Laser. It appears that they also do mail orders. It helps if you can generate the cut-out drawing for them. Since I have access to CAD software, I was able to do this without much issue.

All in all it was a little less than $200 to get all of the pieces cut out of 3/16" and a top plate out of 1/4"...reasonable IMHO. By the end of this, I think I'll be in for about 50% of the price of an equivalent bumper from an offroad shop. With laser or waterjet cutting you can get quite creative with the design.

I should be able to pick up the cutouts in a few days...
I just had to comment been following your build from the begining
front bumper design looks great I would add a reciever to it. probably the best thing I did to my front bumper. I use my jeep to put my camper to the side of the garage having a reciever on the front bumper makes it oh so easy
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #70
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Finished the rocker guard/slider install yesterday. These are from Shrockworks with the tube step ("YJ w/ TJ Flares"). I'm glad to have the old tube steps gone!

During the install. I primed first, painted the backside, installed, and then painted the outsides last. Finished the top edges with Ultra Black RTV...hopefully it keeps more water out than traps...

Here are the undersides, they tie back into the body mounts for stabilization when an upward load is put on the tube.

Looks a lot more hardcore with these on...

Unread 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #71
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great man! Fenders and rockers look as if they came from the same company.

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #72
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A bit of an update from the last month or so.

A few weekends back I had a friend weld the front bumper up. The parts for the front bumper were laser cut at a local shop, with the exception of the shackle tabs, which came from AtoZ. I've been slowly working on grinding all of the welds flush since to make it look like a single piece. I probably have one more evening and it should be ready. It still needs the front hoop; I have the material, but just need to go to another friend's place to use the tube bender. Here are a few pics from the front bumper build. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the lasercut pieces.

The first few are of the setup and during the weld process. Alignment was a piece of cake due to the lasercut parts. They are cut to within a few thousandths. Lots of gusseting on the backside of the bumper, especially around the shackle tabs.

Initial setup:

Adding the gussets:

Finished up - minus hoop:

Front side:

Still needs some grinding...but its getting there.

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #73
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

This past weekend I dove into the rear bumper. I haven't posted up any 3D CAD images of this one yet, but it is a straightforward design. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to mount the tire. I'm trying to get a Hi-lift and Jerry can/Rotopax into the design, but I'm having difficulty. Here are some pics from the main cross member.

The tube is 2"x4"x3/16" wall, the remainder is from AtoZ with their heavy duty spindle upgrade. This was the first time I have done any machining or welding (more than a bead or two at least). I had some experienced supervision and a really nice machine to use.

Cutting tube to length, 56"

1.5" hole for the swing arm spindle. This taxed the 1/2 hp bridgeport pretty well. Slow and lots of coolant.

Milled out the pockets through both sides for the shackle tabs and the receiver hitch.

Cut the corners off with a dry cut saw...this is a must have for anybody doing metal work. Butter!

All welded up!

A few pics of my welds. All of the "big" welds turned out quite good...lots of heat! Took me a couple of trials to get the hang of the smaller welds on the end caps, but I eventually got it.

Next step is to do the swing arm. I have some 1.75"x.120" wall round tube for that. I just need to finalize my design.

Unread 03-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #74
abc_was_here
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just went through your thread and your build is coming along nicely!

My YJ build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/abcs-yj-build-1296743/
abc_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #75
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Spent some time on the front bumper this weekend. Lets just say it took a bit of massaging to get it to fit on the frame. In my design, I tried to leave some room for the welds, but I didn't leave enough. I also didn't account for some support brackets on the front frame cross member. But eventually I got things to fit up pretty well. I did have to slot the mounting holes by about 3/8". If I built another one, I think I could make it "drop on" with none of the cleanup that I had to do.

I'm hoping to bend and weld the front hoop on tomorrow. Went ahead and primed and painted the backside of the bumper so it doesn't have to come off again. Here are a few pics:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.