Blitz134's 90 YJ Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Blitz134's 90 YJ Build

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #46
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Put a long day in today and a few hours yesterday evening. I'm ready to disassemble and start some paint work. Here is a bit of a step-by-step guide to the fender install.

First off, remove the fender flares, hood hold downs and disconnect the support arm underneath the fender. Pull the fender-to-grille bolts too.

Time to mark and start cutting. Here you can see where I marked 1" from the hood lip and also around the hood hold-down support bracket. I made all of my cuts with a 4" angle grinder with cut-off wheel. There are a couple of plug welds in the hold-down support bracket. A little work and they came off.

This next part took a little thought to figure out. The fender back by the tub is made up of two layers of steel. I removed the outer layer before attacking the inner layer. To get this off, make a cut just forward of the rear fender seam by the tub. Then start cutting away at the rear of the wheel well opening (kinda like you are trying to make more clearance for your tires to flex). There is a pinch/welded seam near the edge so you'll need to cut back close to the inner wheel well liner, but not through it. You know you have it when the outer fender layer comes free.

The next cut is through the inner liner from the wheel well.

Then, if you didn't cut deep enough from your 1" mark, you'll need to finish the cut through the inner sheet metal layer.

Unbolt the four inner bolts (you can cut off the inner panel to give better access, if you'd like) to remove the inner fender panel from the tub.

Back up front, I cut the front of the fender down the center of the grille. I tried to follow some of the natural partition lines as I went. On the Poison Spyder Jeep, they cut further back, eliminating the bolt holes all together. But I wanted to try to have a means to attach the front of the fender liner to the new fenders.

Now you can try to position the new fender in place. There were still a couple of relief cuts that needed to be made, and I had to use a drift to get some of the holes to line up. Also, you'll need to push the rear of the inner fender liner back a bit to open up more room behind the tire. After that clamp and drill the holes to attach the new fender to the liner. Overall, I think these fit pretty well, but they did take a little bit of force to get in the final position, especially with the grille. Here are a few more pics:

I also started the hood louver install. Pretty straight forward. Drilling the 22 1" diameter holes was a pain. I have a pretty nice drill, but it kept killing the batteries. A jig saw worked well for cutting the openings after the holes were drilled.

Over the next few nights, I should be able to get everything disassembled, sanded, primed, painted, and reinstalled.

1990 YJ - Trying to sell - Previous Build
blitz134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #47
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Finished the fender and hood louver install today. Also put in a freshly repainted front grille and used some color match paint to "pretty up" the hood a bit. Still need to paint and install the side panels, should be able to do that by the end of the week. I'm pretty happy with the results, wish the paint could have been better on the hood and cowl. It looks decent in the pics, but the reality is that one day I'll start to really wheel again and it won't matter...I'm sure folks are getting tired of seeing what my neighbor's condo looks like.

I'll probably start to work on the 8.8 rebuild/install again soon and start to look at getting supplies to make some rocker protection so I can take the old tube steps off.

Unread 08-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #48
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you should trim the ends off of that front bumper, unless you're planning on getting an aftermarket one...
Unread 08-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #49
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxi4evr View Post
you should trim the ends off of that front bumper, unless you're planning on getting an aftermarket one...
I thought about trimming it, but I plan to make my own front bumper...although 5 minutes with a cut-off wheel will fix it up. I'll get to it eventually! Not quite sure of my path forward at this point...I kinda want the 8.8 in so I can actually run some trains, but the tube steps and bumpers make me cringe.

Unread 10-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #50
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A bit of an update...been super busy with work lately that has been keeping me from home with some travel...

Installed the 8.8 a couple of weeks ago. I don't have any pics from the axle rebuild, but I tried to freshen it up a bit. Riddler diff cover, new outer seals, 1351 u-joint adapter, new e-brakes. Pads and rotors were in good shape. Axle is out of a '99 Explorer, 4.10s with Limited Slip. Took it to a buddy's shop to do the swap since he has a nice welder and knows how to use it. Finished the swap in a single, but long, day. Had some brake issues.

Jeep outside the shop:

Pretty simple to get the new axle in...remove D35...put in new axle...tack in perches (I reused the originals)...remove axle...weld up perches...reinstall

Shock mounts...MORE brand...mounted horizontal to help keep them from hanging up on things. This required relocating the upper shock mounts...more in a bit...

Here is how we handled the driver side brakes. Reused the YJ line and distribution block. Bought a pass-side line and installed on the driver side. Welded a stud and a little mounting plate to hold things in place.

Installed a pair of the MORE upper shock mount relocation brackets. These were a complete pain. They want you to drill two 1/2" diameter holes into the frame...and through the upper shock mount horn. The steel is super hard and kept killing bits. We ground off the "stud" and just welded the heck out of these.

Here it is installed:

I'm currently running without shocks until I can get my exhaust rerouted (completely!). A little bouncy going down the road! I am getting some vibes at high speed especially while coasting...after install I measured the pinion being about 4* lower than the dshaft...will probably try some 2* shims (why I haven't cut the u-bolts yet). We also had a heck of a time getting the brakes to feel decent. They are installed in the correct orientation, but it took about 3 bleeds to get things right. All seems good now though.

I took care of the ebrakes today. Used jbolty's method with the brass barb fittings. Swaged some crimps into the steel cable to hold things in place.

I also put the Jeep in 4wd for the first time in about 8 months. I like the new gear ratio: smoother from a dead stop, regained 5th gear. I don't like the high-speed vibes currently, brake pedal is still softer than original, and I find my self downshifting to 3rd more around town (which grinds horribly on the downshift). Time to replace the trans next.

Unread 10-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #51
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet build, would love to do something like this some day when I have my own place
Unread 11-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #52
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Work is finally settling down a bit. Been away from home during the week for most of the last three weeks. Today was my first full day back.

While I was away, I had plenty of time in the hotel to look at Jeep parts. I came across a pretty good deal on a Tuffy center console that was in great shape and close to work. It actually looks like someone unsuccessfully tried to break into it. Easy install, glad to have cup holders, finally!

Also, took the Jeep in to get the exhaust redone today. 2.5" mandrel bent, stainless steel pipe with Flowmaster 50. I'm pretty happy with the guy's work. This is a pretty subdued muffler. I used to run a FM40 in my S10 with a 4.3L and the drone would start to wear on you after a while. I figured it would be even worse in the Jeep, so i went with the quieter muffler. Here are some pics:

I had him route the downtube like a TJ. It sits just a bit above the bottom of the oil pan. If I hit the exhaust I've got bigger problems:

This is the only part I didn't care for too much, exhaust support on the bottom of the frame rail...just behind the front pass leaf mount. I might have to fix this, or else some rock will.

Here is the muffler...

Here is the tailpipe. I think I'll have enough clearance, I took some measurements and it looks good:

And the outlet of the tailpipe:

I believe everything is tucked up high enough, at least within a 1/2" of the bottom of the frame rails.

Exhaust clears the shocks so those are mounted again. With my elevated lower shock mounts on the axle (parallel to ground) and the MORE upper shock relocators, I only have about 4" of shock rod showing...which is about half way. I need to try to flex the rear to see if I'm going to bottom out on the shocks, otherwise I'll have to grind off and reweld the shock-axle mounting tabs to extend them a bit to get the flex back.

Unread 11-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #53
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I also started rebuilding the hard doors last weekend. I almost got rained on the other day and the gf gets cold easily...so I'm giving in for a few months until it turns to the dry season again. It actually does rain in SoCal...believe it or not!

I'll get some pics up once the rest of the parts come in. This is my second order with teamwrangler.com and I'm pretty frustrated with them. Last order, it took three calls before they were able to give me an order status...and they never called me back, I had to call them each time. I guess in today's world I just expect parts to ship within 3 days. It has been over a week now and no update...I'm basically waiting on them to get me parts so I can finish the doors up.

Unread 11-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #54
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A little update...no major work going on but finally trying to fix some small things...

Quadratech fitted floor mats. I like the fit of these. I need to trim the nubs of the bottom to keep them from moving around. I might bolt them down too...not sure.

Got a new rubber boot for the fuel vent/roll over valve. 30 bucks...a bit ridiculous...hopefully this prevents the smell of fuel I get on occasion and the fuel burping that dumps fuel on the ground.

New intermediate steering shaft. Previous one had some play, I also thought the lower bearing was bad. New one has just as much play in it, but the shaft is tight again.

And fab'd a battery hold down. 1" wide piece of steel and bent up some 5/16" all thread.

Finally did a full flush job on the coolant system. Previous owner had only run water in the system and it had rusted quite a bit. I had meant to do this a while ago when I was installing new parts, but I never got around to it. Flushed it some last weekend, then added some Prestone coolant system cleaner (the heavy duty one..."made for neglected cooling systems"). Drove around for the week and did a final flush last night. Took several hours to get the flush water to run clear. Then topped it off with fresh coolant.

New door weatherstripping will be in this week (finally!), so I can finally put the refreshed doors back together and on the Jeep. It has been getting a little bit of rain lately and it is kinda chilly in the morning.

Ordered a CB kit as well last night. The offroad club I'm looking to join requires a CB...among other things I need to install (bumpers with recovery points!).

Unread 11-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #55
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome build man... I'm excited to see a few YJ's being rebuilt. I'm working on mine, but it's a bit slow because of other projects and fundage -_-, but it's coming along. Let me know if you ever come up north (Eugene, Oregon area) and we should meet up for a beer and some trails?
samseifert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #56
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samseifert View Post
Awesome build man... I'm excited to see a few YJ's being rebuilt. I'm working on mine, but it's a bit slow because of other projects and fundage -_-, but it's coming along. Let me know if you ever come up north (Eugene, Oregon area) and we should meet up for a beer and some trails?
I was just up your way over labor day week. Weather was perfect. GF and I went to a wedding on a small farm south of Portland and then spent the week traveling around the state. Bend (Three Sisters) area, Crater Lake, etc. I'd be curious to know what you think about the weather up there in general...we both liked the area a lot but the constant drizzle seems like it could put a damper on things.

Unread 11-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #57
samseifert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it's pretty damp for a couple months, but it's not bad. We don't get any extremes either way and its not as wet as Seattle. Summers are great, winters are mild. If you can get a job up here, or do yours from here, it's a great place to live. Costs are pretty low, laws on 4x4s are pretty lax... I sure as hell keep coming back :-)
samseifert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #58
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Now that I finally have the doors installed, I'll make a little post about the rebuild process. Door rebuilds have been documented in other pages, so I'll skip the details, here is a good reference though:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ga...2/index67.html

First, I stripped the doors down. I had the typical cracks by the vent window so I welded those up. Reinforced it with some angle iron in a similar way to the link above. Then they were primed and painted with some Duplicolor color match paint. It seemed to work okay for the hood. In hindsight I wish I hadn't done this...it looks okay...but a little inconsistent coverage and scratches really easily.

I bought a master weatherstrip kit and black outer door handles from teamwrangler.com and some new window cranks and black textured ABS door panels from Ebay. After three weeks I finally got the teamwrangler order (2nd time it has taken them forever to ship, and they never return your calls). Weatherstrip fits nicely, but the cheap window hinges I installed a while back caused a little misalignment on the doors and the pass-side weather stripping hangs up a bit when you close it. Overall, I am pretty happy with how things have turned out, I just need to do some tweaking. I have some black nylon webbing that I will use to make door pulls; just need to break the sewing machine out.

You can really see the uneven coverage, the Duplicolor spray cans just don't put out a thick layer of paint, this was two cans per door. The camera does make it look worse than it is though, it isn't nearly this noticeable.

Unread 11-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #59
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today I dug into a couple of other small projects. First, fixed the wobbly tilt steering column. Here is a good source:

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

My Jeep, as I believe most YJs do, has the multi-function turn signal indicator that also does the hi-beams, so things were a little different than the above link. Here are a few images along the way.

Lock plate removal using the special tool. This made it a piece of cake, without it would have been nearly impossible. The spring behind the plate is quite stiff.

You take out a lot of parts along the way! I enjoyed trying to figure out how everything inside of the column worked, now I know how the turn signals are cancelled, the horn makes contact, the tilt system works, how the wheel locks in place, and how the key works with the rest of the system. There are a lot of small devices in there that someone put a lot of thought into. Unfortunately they forgot to call out lock-tite on some bolts.

Eventually it looks like this:

And these are the four bolts (three in view) that have backed out and cause the floppy column.

Then it all goes back together in reverse order. Glad to have that one struck off the to-do list.

Then started to work on the CB install. I mounted under the heater controls:

I'm hoping to run out to my buddy's shop tonight to fab the antenna mount so I can finish up tomorrow. Going to mount a 4' Firestick.

Unread 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #60
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Been slowing down a bit lately...holidays and such...done a few upgrades...been wheelin' twice now. Once out to Joshua Tree, easy trail but got to play on some sand hill climbs. I need lockers! Second was out on a local dirt road after some rain. I don't know why I didn't take any pictures...just enjoying having the Jeep out.

Installed a new Tom Woods front drive shaft. I had a lot of play in my old one, seems to have helped with vibrations, but I still have some.

Put on longer front brake lines. These are from a 90 1500 chevy truck, 2wd. Had to rebend a new driver side brake line. I did have to do a slight edge grind to get these to "seat" correctly on my caliper. I should have plenty of room to flex now.

And, finally...a pic of a dirty Jeep...unfortunately in the driveway...oh, this shows the CB antenna location too. I welded a small plate on the tail gate bump bracket.

I'm off to the local Jeep Club meeting now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.