Blitz134's 90 YJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Blitz134's 90 YJ Build

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #31
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Repainted the hard top over Memorial Day weekend. I was going to go with black, but some friends convinced me to stay with a lighter color since the black might be really hot down here in SoCal. I used Rustoleum textured dark pewter paint, it is a couple of shades darker than the original gray (Real life seems darker than in the pics). I like how it turned out. Also painted the inside with it as well. Plugged some existing holes in the top from a roof rack using some two-part epoxy clay. I want to tint the windows soon.

Before:

During, with a coat of primer.

After:

Also installed a dual power outlet. Picked up at the parts store for 5 bucks. There was already a stud on my dash, and another hole that a PO had drilled. These two lined up perfectly, so I didn't even have to get the drill out! Powered it using the wiring that used to go to the cig lighter that I removed a couple of months back.

Ever since the lift I've been having issues with the tranny kicking out of 2 and 4th gear due to the tcase drop on. I ordered a Tom Woods CV shaft with AA SYE kit last week. Should be here this week so I can install it this upcoming weekend. That should eliminate the kickout problem and hopefully take care of some minor driveline vibes that I seem to have. Hopefully I get tires and rims this week too...just waiting on them to show up.

Unread 06-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #32
Sasquatch4x4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good. i like how much detail you're putting into this thread and your descriptions of what you're doing. good job!
Sasquatch4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #33
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see the new meats. I also had a problem with 2nd and 4th when I had a t-case drop. I think a lot of it was the rubber boot, especially in the winter when it was not very pliable.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #34
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its been a couple of weeks now. The jeep has been confined to the garage while I waited to have have time to work on it and waited for parts to show up.

Dropped the t'case to do a SYE install. Turned into a lot more work and a t'case rebuild. But today I finally finished it up and was back out on the road. I've missed driving it.

Here are some pics along the way. First one of the stock d'shaft. The slip yoke stuck out quite a ways.

Dropping the t'case was pretty straightforward. Here is the gf taking it apart. She isn't much for working under the Jeep, but seems interested in helping out when there is stuff to do on the bench. She took the entire case apart by herself, with the exception of the front output yoke nut. Too bad she couldn't do the rest of the rebuild, but she was working out of town for a week and I wanted the Jeep back together.

Everything comes apart pretty easy. No Bud Light for me...just homebrewed Belgian Strong Dark Ale!

Here is the new shorter shaft:

I had a lot of material on the magnet. Seems that the Mode fork has seen a lot of wear. At this point I decided to do a complete rebuild with parts from Southwest gear. They sent me the wrong input shaft bearing so I got it local from O'Reilly. I don't think it's their fault though, since it seems hard to "guess" which t'cases have which bearing.

After two weeks I finally had the t'case back together yesterday.

Had some issues with the center pins that came with the new 8deg shims, but some 5/16"x 3" socket head cap screws from Lowe's fixed the problem. Driveline angles look okay (hard to tell from the pic). I think there are less vibrations, especially when slowing when off the throttle but with the clutch engaged. Removing the t'case drop helped with the tranny kicking out of 2,4, and rev.

Still waiting on the tires to show up...gonna call tomorrow. Its been a month now!
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #35
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

My program manager from work offered me an old JVC CD player that he had lying around. I'm not too interested in sound quality with two 4x6s in the dash, but I've been wanting a little bit of music lately. Installed the Cd player, it turned on but no sound from the speakers. A little detective work led me to believe the amp in the head unit was bad.

Found a used Alpine head unit on craigslist a few miles from my place for $40. Seemed reasonable enough. Installed it yesterday, but it didn't fit right with the JVC adapter, so I had to reinstall the correct one tonight. I'm actually afraid I won't be able to get the head unit back out now since everything was a tight fit.

Here is a shot of the new head unit!

I should have a new post tomorrow night, too, with some pics! And then one on Thursday. I'm kind of excited about the new "parts" that I've been waiting on. I had to change my order, but I should be happy with what I'm getting.
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #36
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pics as promised. Got out of work early so I ran down to the offroad shop to pick up my new rims. ProComp Series 98. These are flat black steel, 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing. Loaded them up and then went to the tire shop to get them installed with new meats: 33x12.50 Cooper Discoverer STTs.

I had some BFG KM2s on order, but after waiting 6 weeks I decided to change. These are $20 cheaper per tire and most reviews on here have been great. Figured I'd give them a shot.

Obviously, I haven't driven on these too much, but they seem pretty quiet and I like the looks. Didn't take too many weights to balance them either.

Overall, I think it looks like a totally different Jeep. I was taking a look through my build thread last night and I'm actually amazed at how different this Jeep is now. I finally feel like I'm at a point where there aren't any major issues that need to be sorted out (tires were the last, old ones were really dry rotted). There are still plenty of things to tackle, but its been serving me well as a DD back and forth to work; it is a lot more fun to drive than my Xterra.

I really want to go wheelin' now, but I'm going to have to wait until I get the new rear axle in with 4.10s. My current setup of 3.07s in the back and 4.10s in the front won't work to well in 4x4!
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
Superyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Stt's look great, nice build so far.
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #38
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good. What's next?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #39
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Looking good. What's next?
Thanks! Already had someone ask about the tires while I was sitting at a stoplight on the way to work this morning. No doors on the Jeep is fun, drive through people love it and I've had several people talk to me at stop lights.

Next big thing: going to pick up an 8.8 on Tuesday. Has 4.10s in it. Hopefully I can get that installed in August. Weekends are really busy for a while.

In the mean time, I want to finally get the YJ flares on. I think I can work on those after work during the week.
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #40
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post
Thanks! Already had someone ask about the tires while I was sitting at a stoplight on the way to work this morning. No doors on the Jeep is fun, drive through people love it and I've had several people talk to me at stop lights.

Next big thing: going to pick up an 8.8 on Tuesday. Has 4.10s in it. Hopefully I can get that installed in August. Weekends are really busy for a while.

In the mean time, I want to finally get the YJ flares on. I think I can work on those after work during the week.
Chris I haven't upgraded my account yet so my PM's are full and I can't send any out. Here's my response to your PM.

Quote:
For the spring plates I used the 8.8 ones and cut the shock mounts off. I just recently made my own as the Explorer ones were not that great. I bought some u-bolts from Rough Country for $30. The the spring perches I reused the ones that came on my 8.8. I cut them off and moved them over a bit. I reused them because they have a lower shoulder and I didn't want to lose any more lift since the 8.8 tubes are bigger and I'm SUA. I do have a buddy who used the M.O.R.E. 8.8 install kit that came with the perches, u-bolts, spring plates, etc. For the brakes I got extra parts from the junkyard from another Explorer.

The shock mount relocation brackets aren't too bad to install. The biggest thing to pay attention to is how you rotate it on the stock shock mount. I should have rotated mine down a bit as I have smashed my old shock tubes on it under heavy compression. So before you drill any holes or weld mock it up and make sure you don't have any interference. I made my own shock tabs for the 8.8 but in hindsight I wish I would have just ordered some from Ruff Stuff. The amount of time and energy I spent making the tabs I could have bought them for cheaper. I did put them flush with the tube. I'm not very happy with my setup but it works for the time being. I wish I would have mocked it all up and tested it properly.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #41
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not much going on with the build lately, still busy with other things. Did manage to pick up the 8.8 a couple of weeks ago. Started to tear into, but didn't have much time. Ordered some other parts too, just waiting to get the call so I can go and pick them up.

But I did finally take the Jeep in some dirt yesterday!. My mom was in town from GA and we headed up into the Santa Ana mountains just behind my place to the very top of Santiago Peak (~5600'). Nothing extreme (no 4wd required, especially important since I can't use mine yet), but a ride I have been wanting to do for a bit since it is so close. Went up Maple Springs Truck Trail and hit the Main Divide Truck Trail that runs down the spine of the Santa Ana's. Weather was nice, although a little warm up top...pretty clear though, could see all of Orange County and out to Catalina Island, northwest to downtown LA, and north to Mt Baldy and San Gregornio. Jeep did well, check engine light came on a couple of times on the way down, need to investigate, and some tire rub in the back when I drop off of rocks (TJ flares will fix that).

Here are some pics. First two are less than 50 ft after hitting dirt for the first time.

A few pics of the mountains/view/trail:

Jeep up at the top of Santiago Peak (5600')

Saw this little guy on the way down!

Unread 08-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #42
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quick post before I fly out to Denver for the weekend. Installed rear TJ flares last weekend. Pretty straight forward. There really aren't too many options on how to install them since you are limited by the interior tub to the front of the wheel well. I totally removed in fender liner too and sprayed some rubberized undercoating in its place. They turned out well. I thought it might make the jeep look awkward in the back, but I'm happy with the results.

I should start to work on the fronts next weekend, but I won't be doing TJ flares!
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #43
RexVault

What a nice transformation!
RexVault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #44
sxi4evr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

great work, keep it up!
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #45
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

More stuff! This was totally an impulse purchase, I in no way currently use my Jeep in any way to justify part of this purchase, and the other part is really just for looks (maybe a little function).

Poison Spyder gear...drove out to their shop on Tuesday. I have to admit I was a little bummed to find out that they shipped my fenders to someone else earlier in the day, so they didn't have them available when I arrived. I was so aggravated that I didn't take the time to check out any of their vehicles; in retrospect, it was stupid to do that since they shipped them out the next day and threw in a free t-shirt!

Hood Louver!

3" Tapered DeFender Flares! These are Beefy...3/16" steel!

Install should start Sunday. I do plan to do some paint work to the hood and upper cowl to spruce things up. Not sure when I'll get finished though, definitely more than a day's work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.