blitz134's 2006 Rubicon LJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > blitz134's 2006 Rubicon LJ Build

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

blitz134's 2006 Rubicon LJ Build

I'll keep the first post set aside as a summary post.

Here is a pic of when I got it (9/21/2014)...and it basically still looks the same, except for the front bumper:

Current Specs:

2006 Unlimited (LJ) Rubicon

Drivetrain:
4.0L
42rle auto
4.10 gears (stock)
NP241OR tcase (4:1)
33x12.50x15 Hankook Dynapro MTs
Eagle Alloy 058 Aluminum Wheels (15x8, 3.25" BS)

Suspension:
3.5" Rubicon Express Superflex w/ Adj. Arms
Currie Front Track Bar (CE-9120TJS)
Currie Anti-rock - Front (CE-9900)
Rancho 5000 shocks

Armor:
Savvy Front Bumper
LOD Tire Carrier
Unknown Rock Rails (not stock)

Misc Accessories:
Warn M8000-S Winch
Cobra 75 WX ST CB w/ 3' Firestick Antenna
Weathertech Floor Mats
Pioneer MVH-X560BT Heat Unit
Viair 400H Air Compressor, mounted under hood
Diehard Platinum Battery, 34/78DT

1990 YJ - Trying to sell - Previous Build
blitz134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A little background. I've been a bit torn since I have dumped a lot of money into a 1990 YJ over the past three years on a complete rebuild (Build Thread). I LOVE that Jeep and I have a ton of time in it, but unfortunately I came to terms with the fact that it won't work well for me in the long run.

A few weeks ago my wife and I did an long distance (5 hr drive) wheelin' trip during a hot weekend in SoCal. We were forced to drive up late and then bail early on the camping so that we could drive back at night to avoid the heat. And after 12 hours on the trail, we were completely filthy from the dust and sweat. All in all, it was a very uncomfortable wheelin' trip that my wife said she wouldn't repeat. Plus, other life plans make a two seater Jeep (when you have gear to take) not an option. So I started to keep my eyes out for an LJ Rubicon to give us extra space and a bit more comfort. I figured the Rubi would be best for me since I don't ever expect to go bigger than 35s and it is hard to build an equivalent Jeep for the price. This thing rides like a Caddy compared to my YJ...but I still think there is something about driving a leaf-spring, manual trans SWB Jeep that I will miss. If I lived back on the east coast and didn't have to deal with 100+ degree heat regularly, super dusty trails, long commutes to trails, or big hills/mtns, I would love to keep my YJ...but now it needs to go.

Here is what I got:

It obviously has the 4.0L, with 63k on the clock. This one is an auto and seems to have some options added to it plus a hardtop. Aftermarket parts include a 3.5" Rubicon Express Superflex lift with Rancho 5000 shocks. 33" Hankook Dynapro MTs (brand new), LOD rear tire swing carrier, and unknown brand of front bumper and rock rails. Cobra + Firestick CB setup. Milemarker 10500 lb Hydraulic-powered winch.

Overall it looks to be in pretty good shape. Some paint scratches, it has been offroad, as evidenced by some scuffs on the LCA mounts, but the sliders and tcase pan are clean so I don't think its been too beaten. The trans and ECU are brand new from what I can tell (car fax shows the trans replaced by the dealer), and from what I have heard about the 42rle, I feel a little better having a new unit in the Jeep since I know it hasn't been abused yet.

Unread 09-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Spent some time going through things on the new ride and did a little maintenance. Not too much that I think I need to address right now since it steers easily and seems to run well. Here is what I noticed

- The front driveshaft has some witness marks from where it has contacted the trans skid. Seems that when the trans was replaced, the dealership reinstalled a new skid plate.
- Sway bar heim joints are just so slightly loose. An anti-rock will replace it before too long.
- Possibly a very small amount of play in one of the steering linkage joints. I'll monitor it for now since I want to do the Currie setup. The linkages on this thing are so flimsy...I can deflect them by just pushing on them.
- Tiny drip from the bottom of the oil pan. Looks like I'll have to tackle the pan gasket and rear main seal. Done it on my YJ...not looking forward to it, but its not a terrible job either.

Maintenance wise I did the following today:

- New wipers all around
- Oil change and Tcase fluid change
- New Serpentine Belt
- New spark plugs (Autolite APP985)
- Air cleaner was replaced by dealership
- Brakes were done by dealership

And my first "mod": Switched out batteries between the YJ and the LJ. Diehard Platinum:

I'm going to try to drive the Jeep as is for a while, especially while I am trying to sell the YJ. The only thing I want right now is a soft top setup. I don't want to get too crazy with this build, but I want a solid, reliable Jeep that can run most trails and serve as daily driver, and I want to be somewhat weight conscious. Here are my initial thoughts:

- 35s of some flavor
- New wheels...not sure what yet, but a little more backspacing
- Regear to 5.13 (this is a must...Jeep is currently quite sluggish)
- Derale trans cooler with fan
- 1.25" body lift
- Flat belly/Underarmor
- CV rear drive shaft
- New front bumper...a little narrower and less weight
- Currie anti-rock and steering
- Blackmagic brakes (already have this, need to install)
- Warn M8000 w/ synthetic line (currently on my YJ) to reduce weight over heavy hydraulic winch with steel line (55 lb vs 103 lbs)
- Weld tube steps to the current rock rails
- Savvy Gas Tank Skid
- Different rear bumper/tire carrier setup to hopefully reduce some weight

Unread 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
BRC_1980
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Was this that good priced one on Craigslist?
BRC_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC_1980 View Post
Was this that good priced one on Craigslist?
I hope so, haha. I did find it on craigslist, but from a dealer. After taxes, registration, etc, I cringed since I wasn't expecting a pretty good chunk added on top of the final price. I thought my price was okay (given CA standards)...but not outstanding like some of the steals I have heard about on this site. There has been a nicely built, low mileage 2006 TJ Rubi on CL for 20k for a couple of weeks now, and I did get mine for a bit less that that. Plus there were other unbuilt LJ Rubi's listed at 22-25k. I figure that the LJs carry a premium, as well as the Rubi name plate...but if any Jeep will hold its value, this one should.

While this one has a couple of parts that I wouldn't personally choose, they are functional now and I'll easily be able to sell them. And the suspension is a pretty good kit that won't immediately need to be ripped off. I made out okay.

Unread 09-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
BRC_1980
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh ok. The one that looked the same was a little cheaper but private party. It actually looks like the same drive way lol. Love it though and you haven't even started!
BRC_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #7
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rode up to Big Bear (~2 hrs) to pick up a used soft top, door surrounds, and frame today. Got some 303 Aerospace protectant and Nexus plastic polish on order to freshen it up a bit. The top still has some life left, but needs a good cleaning and window polish.

I'm trying to resist the urge to spend money...my wife isn't too happy with how much web wheelin' I've been doing looking at new parts! I need to sell lots of things first.

Unread 10-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pretty exciting mod! I'm trying not to spend money yet. I thought the front seat sat way too low. Added 1" seat risers to the driver's side...cheaper to make these than buy them.

And a question: Is this an issue? If so, how big of an issue? Rear track bar is stock with the Rubicon Express bracket. Seems that it is already a little bound up. I have adjustable uppers and planned to do a tummy tuck relatively soon so a CV rear dshaft would likely be in order. Likely will do a Currie bar at some point...but just trying to get a feel on if I should try to fix it in the mean time.

Unread 10-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Still not much going on. The soft top brackets finally showed up at the dealership, so I put the new-to-me soft top on. For a 10 yr old top it is in good shape and cleaned up well. I like the 303 Aerospace protectant. The Nexus worked well too to remove the scratches, but they are still hazy. Good enough for now. It is so much quieter than the YJ soft top.

Pulled the lift kit and sliders off of my Xterra today. The wife is "inheriting" it since her old Subi is about done for. She didn't want it lifted...and I wanted to try to get the original MPG back. The money I make from the lift and sliders will go towards the Jeep. I'm thinking Savvy front bumper and front Currie Antirock. I'm curious how much weight I'll cut when I swap the M8000 w/ syn line from my YJ and the new bumper.

Unread 10-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Weathertechs arrived today.

Getting ready to pull the winch soon...next weekend? A new power steering hose is on the way so I can pull the winch...which is hydraulic.

Unread 11-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #11
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just documenting what I'm doing...

No more winch:

Had to replace the high pressure power steering hose since a longer one was used to reach the winch hydraulic motor. Pretty cheap part...$13 from rock auto. Not as bad of a swap as some of the posts made it seem. Once the bumper is pulled off it is easy to get to the power steering line nuts just under the grill. Messy job though. It seems to have quieted down the PS pump too...less whine now.

Making good progress selling old parts so I think I'm going to be placing a nice order with a local company soon. I weighed some parts. The Milemarker winch is about 20 lbs lighter than advertised (maybe they were including a winch plate?). But with the new bumper and Warn M8000-S from the YJ I'll cut about 70 lbs off the front end.

Unread 11-04-2014, 05:25 AM   #12
dadkinsemt
Lost

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the world of LJ. Like the idea you are going with. I'll keep an eye on this.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's
Mile Hi jeep club, Patrol 9

MY BUILD
dadkinsemt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice ljr! Congrats!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 12:26 AM   #14
blitz134

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hopefully the build will be more interesting after today...Amazon shipment delivered and a little trip down to the Savvy warehouse, which is really close to work.

The goods:
- Derale Atomic Trans Cooler (Amazon) - missing the hardware though, need to call
- Centric Rotors (Amazon) - had the Black Magic pads already from the YJ, but never installed
- Novak Tcase shifter for the 241
- JKS motor mount lift
- Currie Mini Skids
- JKS 1.25" body lift
- Savvy Gas Tank Skid
- Currie Rear Tracbar with bracket
- Savvy Under Armor with Engine Skid
- Savvy Front Bumper with fairlead, hooks, and hoop
- Currie Front Anti-rock (pick up tomorrow)
- Currie/Savvy Ultimate Steering (pick up in a week or so)

It will probably be closer to Christmas/New Years before I have time to get most of this installed. I have a lot of painting to do between now and then. I do plan to install the bumper this weekend, if I can get it prepped and painted this week, along with the Anti-rock and the winch. I'll likely get the brakes done too since the rears need attention.

It's gonna be hard to stay out of the garage, but I'm going to be gone for two weeks soon, so I won't have much choice.

Unread 11-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #15
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz134 View Post
Hopefully the build will be more interesting after today...Amazon shipment delivered and a little trip down to the Savvy warehouse, which is really close to work.

The goods:
- Derale Atomic Trans Cooler (Amazon) - missing the hardware though, need to call
- Centric Rotors (Amazon) - had the Black Magic pads already from the YJ, but never installed
- Novak Tcase shifter for the 241
- JKS motor mount lift
- Currie Mini Skids
- JKS 1.25" body lift
- Savvy Gas Tank Skid
- Currie Rear Tracbar with bracket
- Savvy Under Armor with Engine Skid
- Savvy Front Bumper with fairlead, hooks, and hoop
- Currie Front Anti-rock (pick up tomorrow)
- Currie/Savvy Ultimate Steering (pick up in a week or so)

It will probably be closer to Christmas/New Years before I have time to get most of this installed. I have a lot of painting to do between now and then. I do plan to install the bumper this weekend, if I can get it prepped and painted this week, along with the Anti-rock and the winch. I'll likely get the brakes done too since the rears need attention.

It's gonna be hard to stay out of the garage, but I'm going to be gone for two weeks soon, so I won't have much choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.