BlackWidowJK One Ton Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > BlackWidowJK One Ton Build

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!1987-2016 Wrangler Jammock Black 2.0 Jeep Hammock (YJ, TJ Rancho rockGEAR promotion gear from January 1-February 29,

Unread 06-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

BlackWidowJK One Ton Build

After years of saying "One day I'll get one ton axles for my JK" i finally made the push.

Axles:

Front - Ford Dana 60 Kingpin
Artec Truss
Artec Hydro Mount
Artec Upper Link Mounts
Artec Lower Link Mounts
Artec steering arms
Artec coilover mounts
Reid Kingpin Bushings

Rear- 14bolt FullFloat
Artec Full Truss
Artec Spine
Artec Pinion Guard
Artec Lower link mounts
Artec upper 3 link mount
Artec coilover mounts
Artec JK Trackbar bracket
4wd Shaved Diff Cover

Suspension:
Front-
14" Coilovers w/ Reservoirs
Single Triangulation Setup
Artec Heavy Duty Cross member
Artec Link Mounts

Rear-
14" coilovers w/ reservoirs
Artec Link Mounts
Rock Krawler 3 Link Upper Long Arm

Wheels: Unknown

Steering: PSC 2.5 Full Hydro

Powertrain: 6.2L LS3 w/ 6l80 + Atlas II

Seats: Twisted Stitch Custom Seats

Will add to this list as it grows.

Update.

Installed Artec Heavy Duty Cross member w/ lower link mounts.
Installed Artec Raised D60 steering arms
Got my RuffStuff 1.25" Heims in for the lower control arms.
Got my Ruffstuff 7/8" Heims for the upper control arms.
Got my TMR D60 knuckle reinforcement brackets. 1/4" plates and gussets to reinforce the highsteer on the knuckle.
Rebuilt 14bolt hubs

Decided to go with the rock krawler upper 3 link kit instead of the single upper triangulation rear. So will be running a trackbar in the rear. Started to figure out placement for axles.

Next Up:

Finalize axle location
Locate and weld on control arm locations
Replace PVCpipe control arms and with 2" X .25" and weld on RuffStuff Bungs + Heim Joints
Locate and weld on front upper coilover mount
Locate and bend and weld rear upper coilover mounts.

Unread 06-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
06JeepXKHEMI

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great looking build. Subbed for sure
Unread 06-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
tkfx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Lud, ima make a suggestions so this build thread doesnt end up the same as your last. Go to imgur.com, sign up using your google account (easiest way imo), upload your pics on there (very easy, drag and drop pictures into the browser), and finally link the pics here. Your pics will never be broken because they won't be deleted and/or moved. Reason im suggesting this is because the facebook links are very unstable, and all this hardwork you will be putting into documenting this build will be for nothing if the pics don't work. BUild looks good so far, good luck!
Unread 06-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Build looks awesome, looking forward to the outcome. One questions out of curiosity, what prompted the change in plans to the rear suspension?
jeepn4life92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2015, 01:10 AM   #5
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfx View Post
Lud, ima make a suggestions so this build thread doesnt end up the same as your last. Go to imgur.com, sign up using your google account (easiest way imo), upload your pics on there (very easy, drag and drop pictures into the browser), and finally link the pics here. Your pics will never be broken because they won't be deleted and/or moved. Reason im suggesting this is because the facebook links are very unstable, and all this hardwork you will be putting into documenting this build will be for nothing if the pics don't work. BUild looks good so far, good luck!
yea last one got all messed up because i had deleted the facebook account it was linked with. these ones are from my jeep page so shouldnt have issues. but yes, i still plan to go and use the imgur for sure, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn4life92 View Post
Build looks awesome, looking forward to the outcome. One questions out of curiosity, what prompted the change in plans to the rear suspension?
spent all my money on paying off my new truck, so lack of funds and i need this build done by mid august. if i had continued with single tri in the rear, id have to replace the stock gas tank with a new fuel cell. as much as I'd love to do the triangulation in the rear, just isnt in my budget anymore. but, with the 3 link bracket, ill be able to wishbone 3 link the rear end in the future, if i decide to run that way.
Unread 07-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

Artec Industries Rear HD LCA Mounts

3 link rear axle. combined the backbone to help reinforce the trackbar mount.

Picked up a set of 4 "new" tires and wheels. unknown aluminum 20" wheels with DIY beadlocks welded on. 46" XML Military Tires.

Cut the rear up to fit the new tires in the wheel wells. Going to fab up some inner fenders to cover the exposed body and am going to reinforce the body with some 1x1 square tubing.

squeezed the tires in to see what it would all look like.

adjusted the body a bit to fit better, still need to raise the front end up about 2" and move the tires forward 1.5".

Bought these tires because they were a good deal, and why not. This jeep is a toy now anyways, I do not plan to use these tires for off road trips, was thinking of running a 43" super swamper for those.
Unread 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

Also, a video update of the progress so far.

Unread 07-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Why did you choose to go with a 3 link rear and trackbar instead of a triangulated 4 link?

Sold:
05 LJ.. Low and on 37s
79 FSJ.. 360/4speed on 38s
85 CJ-7 Renegade

Buy my AEV Pintler TJ Beadlocks. See the classifieds.
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Why did you choose to go with a 3 link rear and trackbar instead of a triangulated 4 link?
Likely packaging. And contrary to popular belief, a 3 link w/track bar rear suspension can actually out-perform a triangulated 4 link in terms of lateral constraint and roll center height.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
tkfx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
The passenger side upper control arm would have to go through where the gas tank is for the JKU. The gas tank is in a awkward position.
Unread 07-12-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

A new fuel cell wasnt in the budget at the time. But this way, if i choose to go with triangulation in the future i can run a wishbone setup.

I was going to run a 2 door fuel tank, as that would give me room, but the one i was interested in sold.
Unread 01-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
Devilnutzusmc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am building a similar TJ with the same size tires. I was debating on whether to use 14" travel shocks or 16". I would be interested to see what it looks like installed. It looks great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.