BlackWidowJK One Ton Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

BlackWidowJK One Ton Build

After years of saying "One day I'll get one ton axles for my JK" i finally made the push.

Axles:

Front - Ford Dana 60 Kingpin
Artec Truss
Artec Hydro Mount
Artec Upper Link Mounts
Artec Lower Link Mounts
Artec steering arms
Artec coilover mounts
Reid Kingpin Bushings

Rear- 14bolt
Artec Full Truss
Artec Spine
Artec Pinion Guard
Artec Lower link mounts
Artec upper 3 link mount
Artec coilover mounts
Artec JK Trackbar bracket
4ws Shaved Diff Cover

Suspension:
Front-
14" Coilovers w/ Reservoirs
Single Triangulation Setup
Artec Heavy Duty Cross member
Artec Link Mounts

Rear-
14" coilovers w/ reservoirs
Artec Link Mounts
3 Link Upper Long Arm

Wheels: Unknown

Steering: PSC 2.5 Full Hydro

Powertrain: 6.2L LS3 w/ 6l80 + Atlas II (I sold my LS3 and 6l80)

Seats: Twisted Stitch Custom Seats

Will add to this list as it grows.

Hi there, I'm Ludski. But you can call me Ludski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-03-2015, 01:50 PM
06JeepXKHEMI

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Great looking build. Subbed for sure

05 LJRubi Currie 4" Springs, Savvy Fox shocks, MC trackbars, MC CA's single adj lower double uppers, 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pros on 17x9 ATX Ravine, MC Overlines front, Genright rear, Revolution 5.38s, Carolina Driveline driveshafts, MCAI
post #3 of 15 Old 06-03-2015, 02:35 PM
tkfx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Lud, ima make a suggestions so this build thread doesnt end up the same as your last. Go to imgur.com, sign up using your google account (easiest way imo), upload your pics on there (very easy, drag and drop pictures into the browser), and finally link the pics here. Your pics will never be broken because they won't be deleted and/or moved. Reason im suggesting this is because the facebook links are very unstable, and all this hardwork you will be putting into documenting this build will be for nothing if the pics don't work. BUild looks good so far, good luck!

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tks-yellow-krait-ljk-buildup-2337401
post #4 of 15 Old 06-03-2015, 03:18 PM
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Build looks awesome, looking forward to the outcome. One questions out of curiosity, what prompted the change in plans to the rear suspension?
post #5 of 15 Old 06-04-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfx View Post
Lud, ima make a suggestions so this build thread doesnt end up the same as your last. Go to imgur.com, sign up using your google account (easiest way imo), upload your pics on there (very easy, drag and drop pictures into the browser), and finally link the pics here. Your pics will never be broken because they won't be deleted and/or moved. Reason im suggesting this is because the facebook links are very unstable, and all this hardwork you will be putting into documenting this build will be for nothing if the pics don't work. BUild looks good so far, good luck!
yea last one got all messed up because i had deleted the facebook account it was linked with. these ones are from my jeep page so shouldnt have issues. but yes, i still plan to go and use the imgur for sure, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn4life92 View Post
Build looks awesome, looking forward to the outcome. One questions out of curiosity, what prompted the change in plans to the rear suspension?
spent all my money on paying off my new truck, so lack of funds and i need this build done by mid august. if i had continued with single tri in the rear, id have to replace the stock gas tank with a new fuel cell. as much as I'd love to do the triangulation in the rear, just isnt in my budget anymore. but, with the 3 link bracket, ill be able to wishbone 3 link the rear end in the future, if i decide to run that way.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-09-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

Some Flex Testing

Picked up a set of 46" Military Tires on 20" Beadlocks

No, these are not the off road tire, as they are rated at 10500lbs each, so my jeep is not going to flex the sidewalls. I intend to use a 43" Super Swamper Sticky or 44" Pitbull.

post #7 of 15 Old 07-09-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

Also, a video update of the progress so far.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-09-2015, 10:46 AM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Why did you choose to go with a 3 link rear and trackbar instead of a triangulated 4 link?

06 WK 5.7 Hemi Overland - Daily
87 MJ Chief 57k original miles... getting built in the backyard. 37s, waggy axles, D300, 6 speed, etc.

Gone - 05 LJ on 37s, 79 FSJ Chief on 38s, 85 CJ-7 on 31s
post #9 of 15 Old 07-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Why did you choose to go with a 3 link rear and trackbar instead of a triangulated 4 link?
Likely packaging. And contrary to popular belief, a 3 link w/track bar rear suspension can actually out-perform a triangulated 4 link in terms of lateral constraint and roll center height.

OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
post #10 of 15 Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM
tkfx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
The passenger side upper control arm would have to go through where the gas tank is for the JKU. The gas tank is in a awkward position.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tks-yellow-krait-ljk-buildup-2337401
post #11 of 15 Old 07-11-2015, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

A new fuel cell wasnt in the budget at the time. But this way, if i choose to go with triangulation in the future i can run a wishbone setup.

I was going to run a 2 door fuel tank, as that would give me room, but the one i was interested in sold.

post #12 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Devilnutzusmc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am building a similar TJ with the same size tires. I was debating on whether to use 14" travel shocks or 16". I would be interested to see what it looks like installed. It looks great

5'11" interested in blondes, I love long walks on the beach....oops wrong site!
post #13 of 15 Old 02-19-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

Lost a lot of my earlier photos, i apologize for that. That account was apparently a trial account. So these ones shouldnt get deleted in the future.

Currently running 6.5" lift height in the rear and 6" in the front.

Removed this thing.

Rear Axle W/ the artec armor and the Rock Krawler 3 link long arm.

So much room for activities.

Front Suspension.

Currently, there is a 16" Fox coilover. And I am using the standard height Artec coilover mounts on the frame side and then they mount on top of the truss. This limits my up travel to about 2" (when i did my measuring, i didnt realize their rubber bumpstops were 2.5" thick. So, i might just cut those off, OR what I am also considering...

A. Go with the Artec taller coilover mounts (this will gain me 3-4" of up travel).
B. ^ mount + find a way to get the coilover to mount above the control arm bracket. The problem with this for me, is that my lowers are mounted near the centerline of the axle and there isnt much space between the joint and the truss. And if i go with a standard style shock mount, and raise it upward, it'd be near the truss height.
C. 14" Coilover (gain about 2.2" of uptravel)
D. 14" Coilover and taller mount. (will allow me to run the Jeep lower for when i run the 43" off road tires)
E. Cut off the Fox bushing bumpstop on the coilovers (will be running airbump stops)

Thoughts?

New Cage Concept

Since I am going for the JK8 style, I plan to cover the rear doors by extending my poison spyder customs corners to the B Pillar. Deleting the rear seats (obviously).

The Rear Coilovers Will Mount to the hoops along the rear of the frame. I will also have a removable cross member

post #14 of 15 Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ordered the raised Artec mounts, hopefully here this monday. This will gain me 5" of additional up travel, give or take.

Welded together my rear control arms and fabbed up some coil mounts. Going coils in the rear for right now. Just so I can roll it out of the garage for other projects. Found some Cherokee coils I had lying around and cut off about 3 full coils to give me around 6.5" of lift in the rear. I will switch to coilovers in the rear soon, but this will at least get it so i can roll it out of the garage on its own weight.

No rear jack stands!!
First time in 331 days that the Jeep isn't on all 4 Jack stands!!!

Now that the rear is nearly finished up. Time to look at the front suspension.
Once the front mounts get here and i mock up the 16" coilover, i can decide on the spring rates and sizes.
But im thinking ill end up with 6.5" lift up front. Just have to decide on spring rates and sizes, but im hoping for around 6" of uptravel at ride height. i'll have about 7" of usable uptravel until my links get wicked close to my oil filter.

post #15 of 15 Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
ludski
2009 JK Wrangler 

So, April was a big month. Spent almost every hour of everyday prepping the Jeep for Jeep Beach. Which, didnt end up happening because my truck broke down the day before we were supposed to leave...

ANYWHOM...

For the first time in a long while, I got to drive the Jeep. PROGRESS!

Got some shots of how she sits at this point.

Now, some info about these chrome delights....
My previous beadlocks were a DIY that i bought attached to the tires, well, when i was airing them up, the weld snapped in half and blew up. Ended up getting a concussion for a week. The welds werent bad, it happened because the bead of the tire is about 1.5" thick and it caused the beadlock to cone and well, just ripped the weld. So these were for sale locally, and i needed something for Jeep Beach. I am painting them black and they are in NO way permanent. 20" beadlocks arent cheap...

Second, I swapped out my brawler rockers for body armor for the time being. These ones ARE in fact green, so i am going to paint them gloss black and probably weld on some rock rails/steps, since the itty bitty GF is having trouble jumping in.

As for the rollcage, I wanted something that is similar to the JK8, but Im not paying $30k for parts. SOOOOO, im deleting the back door opening and made this cage. The cage is not done, as i still have have more bracing to do. It was just "enough" for Jeep Beach. The rollcage also sits 2" lower than stock, i did this so that 1. more weight lower, since this Jeep is already so tall. 2. i dont plan to keep the windshield on all the time, so it'll be better to have it sit lower. (more than enough headroom). i have to add an A pillar and windshield spreader bars as well as many more body to frame mounts.

I also went ahead and made my own front bumper. I used to have the PSC BFH bumper, and i loved it, but i didnt want the winch sitting on top of the bumper and blocking air through the grill. SO, i went ahead and made something that has my winch sit low and out of the way. My tires also stick past the bumper by an inch, so, WOO to that. It's made from 1/4" base and 3/16" everything else. Still have to add 1 more bolt on each side that will line up to the PSC bolt holes. I also went and added 2" tubing with 1/8" wall to add that extra "something" and to also cover that bit of winch you can still see.

Also got the steering welded up, and boy, 2.5" full hydro is AMAZING. i can turn the 46" tires at 0 psi with MY PINKY FINGER! Because full hydro doesnt recenter anymore, i am going to do an aftermarket steering wheel. Yes, i understand the airbag concern.

also, GOT RID OF THE ANGRY EYES, WHAT WHAT.

Video Update:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.