BlackPearl's 89 YJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > BlackPearl's 89 YJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 06-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

BlackPearl's 89 YJ Build

Purchased this 1 owner 1989 Wrangler from Michigan for a steal - pretty sure the previous owner never had the top or doors off even. Stock sized tires, and every single vacuum hose still in place - that has all already changed! Plans for the Jeep are as follows:

So far, the Jeep needs:
- Frame repair - DONE
- Tub repair (purchased replacement section)
- Floor repair (driver's side)
- New tires and wheels (purchased - 33" BFG MT KM2's) - DONE
- Lift (2.5" Rubicon Express with booms) - DONE
- 4bbl Holley 390 with Offy intake - DONE
- TJ Flares (purchased)
- HEI coil - DONE

and some general TLC. It only had one owner since 1989, I don't think he ever had the top off. Jeep needs a lot of work, but I have the aggressive goal of getting it to Attica by Mid-June.

Pictures below are of the snowy trip home after it was picked up this February.

jeep-1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

Unread 06-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

"Before" picture of the engine compartment, preview of what the new tires and wheels will look like (springs disconnected), and frame repair - bought a stock piece off ebay - nice and strong now!
engine.jpg

preview.jpg

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

Unread 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Progress this weekend included clearing the way for the lift kit that will arrive this week, rebuilding the used holley I bought, and getting rid of the trackbars
ubolts.jpg

no-axles.jpg

Unread 06-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #4
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Installed the Rubicon Express 2.5" springs, MORE booms, and new hardware yesterday. It was very refreshing to be done dealing with rusty bolts. I'm really surprised how tall it is! These are 33's and I haven't clearanced the wheels wells yet for the TJ flares.

Today new brake lines go in front to rear, radiator and grill get installed, and might get the intake and carb on there as well!
jeepwithlift.jpg

Unread 06-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

subbed
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
ckruzer
Jeremiah 33:3

1987 YJ Wrangler 

You must be eager to get it on the road!!! Because you have a work zone, this winter do you plan to pull the tub and do the whole frame?

Phillipians 3:20 - "For our citizenship is in Heaven..."

My President is Jesus
ckruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup - I figure I'll have this Jeep for quite a few years - pulling the tub now would guarantee that I would not be enjoying much of summer this year and want to make sure the new bride sees some payoff for the significant investment in parts so far

As long as we both continue to enjoy wheeling together, I have no doubt that it will be torn down again and again. Parts broken, parts upgraded, frame improved, etc.

Ideally, while I'm enjoying it in this format, I'll find another frame in better shape and a southern tub as well. Until I exhaust those efforts, I'll roll with what I've got.
Unread 06-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
ckruzer

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thats what i did. I found another frame. its on the farm right now... need to bring it to the house to do the welding mods. I cant decide if I am going to use my 87 tub or look for a 95 tub. I put a cheap RC lift on it for now. Will get something better when i put either j10 d44 or f250 (44/60) axles under the new frame.

My President is Jesus
Unread 06-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Big day yesterday, got the cooling system buttoned up, new valve cover gasket in place, 4 bbl intake mounted, brakes bled and new lines run, front end reassembled, and all the wheels torqued down and ready to roll.

Things left to do before it hits the road:
- Plumb up carb and get linkage figured out
- Install new distributor from CRT (whenever it finally gets here...)
- Install TJ flares

I'm actually really surprised how high it sits for being a 2.5" kit - I would have thought the 33's would be much closer to making contact. Guessing it will settle some once I get it on the road. Nice part is, I can already tell this suspension will be smoother, just by putting some weight on any corner, I can get it to move - so I know nothing is bound up.

Can't wait to get this thing onto a trail!
jeepthurs1.jpg

jeepthurs2.jpg

Unread 06-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Today, this happened!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI65F6UXX2Y

Runs so well! I love this setup, one hot wire to the distributor, one vacuum hose, one wire for the tach, no other wires to the engine (other than sensors and the starter).

Next steps, trim away the excess wires, mount the battery tray, get it timed, plumb up an air intake I got for it - then it's time to take it for a spin!
Unread 06-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
ckruzer

1987 YJ Wrangler 

So you did a hei and holly carb? Which ones? Did you do a posi lock on the d30 axle?

My President is Jesus
Unread 06-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did a CRT HEI - worked just as advertised so far (all 15 minutes of run time)

Holley 390 on an Offenhauser intake - bought it used off here, rebuilt it, good to go

I have the posi-lock kit for the front, need to get that installed before I'm ready to wheel - broke 3 of the 4 bolts off on that, so I need a little time with a drill and extractor to get that cleaned up.
Unread 06-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
BlackPearl96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Some progress after work the last two days:
- Got the posi-lock kit in - honestly not impressed - I have about 2 feet extra cable, so currently the person in the back seat will be in charge of putting the jeep into 4wd...
- Got linkage for the carb figured out, just fab'd up a bracket - electric choke is wired up too
- Got it timed properly, purrs nicely, it ran so poorly before (when I first bought the Jeep), that I only hoped the engine was good under all of the failed components, so far so good!

So today, it went for a drive!

It was a short drive, just around the neighborhood, but the Jeep did well! All new brakes work well, suspension is smooth, charging system working, carb working well.

Things left to do:
- Mount and plumb the coolant overflow tank (obvious from the video)
- Install air intake system (stay tuned for that...)
- Finish decluttering excess wiring, there are a LOT of "extra" wires now
Unread 06-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #14
ckruzer

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl96
Some progress after work the last two days: - Got the posi-lock kit in - honestly not impressed - I have about 2 feet extra cable, so currently the person in the back seat will be in charge of putting the jeep into 4wd... - Got linkage for the carb figured out, just fab'd up a bracket - electric choke is wired up too - Got it timed properly, purrs nicely, it ran so poorly before (when I first bought the Jeep), that I only hoped the engine was good under all of the failed components, so far so good! So today, it went for a drive! Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOuBf3RkSKY It was a short drive, just around the neighborhood, but the Jeep did well! All new brakes work well, suspension is smooth, charging system working, carb working well. Things left to do: - Mount and plumb the coolant overflow tank (obvious from the video) - Install air intake system (stay tuned for that...) - Finish decluttering excess wiring, there are a LOT of "extra" wires now
Is there a reason you went for the posi-lok rather than the perma-lok kit? The cable can be shortened if you buy some crimps from the local hardware store and cut t a piece of the cable out. Great way to treat a new product.... Lol. The permalok kit permanently moves the shift fork over. Soon I will yank that and just put a solid axle shaft in.

My President is Jesus
Unread 06-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
ckruzer

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl96
I did a CRT HEI - worked just as advertised so far (all 15 minutes of run time) Holley 390 on an Offenhauser intake - bought it used off here, rebuilt it, good to go I have the posi-lock kit for the front, need to get that installed before I'm ready to wheel - broke 3 of the 4 bolts off on that, so I need a little time with a drill and extractor to get that cleaned up.
I would like to find one too, so I can get rid of this Chinese weber fake.

My President is Jesus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.