The Black Stallion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Black Stallion

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave on AEM Intakes from XT!

Unread 06-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Black Stallion

Yup, you guessed it, a black TJ build.

This is it when I brought it home:

It already had 4" springs and 33s. Otherwise it was a pretty much stock 2000 Sahara. Since then I have mostly fixed things that were either done wrong, not done at all, or broke prematurely such as u-joints, ball joints, Heater Core and a re-manufactured transmission.

This is what I have added so far:
  • Currie Poly adjustable bump stops
  • Metalcloak Aluminum Arms all the way around
  • JB Conversions HD SYE
  • Tom Woods drive shafts front and rear
  • Converted it from a Manual to an automatic with an AW4 late last year.
  • Front Aluminum Antirock
  • Brown Dog Motor Mounts

The plan changes and evolves as I learn more and more about the capabilities of the Jeep and what I want to do with it. This Jeep will also be handed down to my daughter (now 12) who already drives it and wrenches on it. I want a solid build that is also reliable and can be fixed even if she's away from home at college, etc.

My wishlist (which seems to change constantly)
  • HP30 Front
  • D44 Rear
  • 3-Link Front
  • 4-Link Rear
  • Metalcloak or Poison Spyder Front Fenders
  • 1" MML & 1.25" BBL
  • Savvy 3" Springs
  • Savvy Aluminum Rocker armor
  • Savvy Corner Armor
  • OX Lockers front and rear
  • 4.88 or 5.13 Gears
  • 35" Tires
  • Revolution shafts front and rear

And this is what it looks like today:

elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
BRC_1980
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is it the pic or do or are your wheels the same width as your tires?
BRC_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC_1980 View Post
Is it the pic or do or are your wheels the same width as your tires?
It is not an illusion. The wheels are 15x12 and the tires are 12.5. That's how I bought it. I'll get new wheels whenever I go up on tire size.
Unread 06-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So this is what I have acquired so far:

I scored an HP30 for $100 a couple of weeks ago. Come to find out, this gem was in the pumpkin:

I'll pass along all my internals and re-gear it and should be good to go with little effort (I hope). Maybe the Metalcloak UCA joints will be out by then...

The 44 however its a bit more complex. I bought an entire axle off an LJ. However, the pinion is bent and the driver side tube is dented (and slightly bent). It came with Alloy USA shafts, a spare stock shaft, brand new 4.56 gears and Master Install kit. So overall it wasn't a bad deal. I sold the gears to recover a bit of money and the rest sits in my garage. Recently I bought a housing from a buddy who decided to go for an 8.8 instead of building it so I got the housing. This one is straight but needs UCA brackets. Not sure which way I'm gonna go on this. My long term goal is a four link rear but I am not sure I am ready to do everything else that is needed to accomplish it at this time.
Unread 06-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What was left of my Jeep budget just got slashed. On the good side though, I just ordered a Trektop NX to replace my 10 year old top. If this top is half as good as it seems, I will be a happy camper.
Unread 06-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to post yesterday. My 4.88 gears came in. Thank you Ricky for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.