Black is the New Black? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Black is the New Black?

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Black is the New Black?

What's up JF, just bought my Premium Membership and finally changed my name from "lolvtak" to this and I'm feeling frisky so I decided to make a thread. A little boring background on me is I'm from Long Island, NY the capital of no good legal wheeling unless you love sand which I don't. I'm moving to Dover, PA in 2 weeks with my girlfriend to start a new degree (teaching) and to be close to Rausch Creek and the annual Jeep show in York.

I bought my 2002 TJ on February 11 of 2009 and this was the first day when I brought her home.

Obviously completely stock at the time, the first thing I did after looking through JF was paint the headlight bezels black, remove the bumper endcaps, paint the stock wheels black (they were rusting), and take it to the beach for some mild fun.

Next step was to cut the fender flares because I found a great deal on some crappy 33's and wheels.

The tires I got were some random brand 33" AT that had dry rot all over the them but I got 4 of them for 100 bucks. A few weeks later one of them stopped holding air completely so I just got 2 BFG AT for the rear and went wheeling upstate. (Sorry I have no wheeling pics, I have too much fun while doing it and forget.)

Then went to the Hamptons for some more beach action.

Next thing I did was fall in love with Rugged Ridge's XHD Modular front bumper and stinger combo so I bought it.

Snapped this picture after tugging out my buddy's bushes for him.

My next step was to buy Rough Country's 2.5" lift but winter hit before I could install it.

Had a lot of fun all winter helping people out of the snow.

Finally spring came and I installed my lift with a friend.

Couldn't have been happier with the quality of the ride and the price was great.

While doing the lift we had to throw away my old sway bar links and I decided to get new links, a steering stabilizer and I later found a good deal on a steering box skid here on JF, this is a good pic of all 3 of those. I also finally got another two BFG AT to replace the front two crappy tires.

I also decided I hated my carpet and ripped it out, followed by a good day of Raptor Lining and eventually Iggee seat covers. My interior really came together after that and the few misc things I had thrown in previously. Love the Raptor Liner its holding up VERY well except for a few small spots which I prepped poorly. For those wondering I feel like it's best to prep by grinding down to the bare metal then scuffing with a Scotch Brite pad and finally wiping down with acetone.

The Iggee seat covers fit quite well but since I'm picky I was thinking of having them permanently sewn into the seats for that ultimate fit.

The latest idiocy I've gotten into is giving my friend my front fender flares a little to test out my grinder's cutting power and hopefully order some flat fenders soon. I also recently ordered an XRC-8 winch from Quadratec. Started to get the surface rust off my frame and paint that as well as paint my wheels black.

Some flexinnnn and my favorite beach.

That's all for now while I save money for my move to PA. Once I'm down there I'll be getting flat fenders, new axles, more lift and 35" BFG KM in preparation to do some real wheeling. I'm always looking for more friends and Jeepers are some of the nicest people I've ever met in the car world especially coming from the import tuner scene.

Fischey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
SugarBear
1969 CJ5 

Looks good man Looks like your jeep will be going places.
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Xerxes
1999 TJ Wrangler 

nice Jeep. and welcome (soon) to PA!

|::Sahara Owner::|
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Haha thanks, I'm excited PA seems so nice. It will be a nice change from expensive and bustling NY.
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed my XRC-8 winch yesterday and got to use it a few hours later! Went to the beach at night with some friends to have a fire and hang out, before we left I started driving around the dunes and ended up stuck in some really fluffy sand, tied my winch line around a huge log and pulled myself out. This thing rocks picture will be up tomorrow after I do some more cutting to my fenders.

If anyone is in the York area and wants to go wheeling let me know I'm always down!
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! Especially the Raptor liner!

You DO know that PA has very strict fender laws? ZERO tire is allowed to stick out or you get slapped on the pee-pee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good dude. If the liner was prepped poorly it will start to peel as it gets some age on it. I am taking mine down to get media blasted inside. I hate sanding all those spots on the inside.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Looks great! Especially the Raptor liner!

You DO know that PA has very strict fender laws? ZERO tire is allowed to stick out or you get slapped on the pee-pee
I'm getting Smittybuilt Flat Fenders soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Looks good dude. If the liner was prepped poorly it will start to peel as it gets some age on it. I am taking mine down to get media blasted inside. I hate sanding all those spots on the inside.
I used a grinder and a large scuff pad it was cake.

If anyone is in the York area and wants to go wheeling let me know I'm always down!
Unread 08-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you need to bumpstop some to keep the tire off the fender. Looks good though.
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Looks like you need to bumpstop some to keep the tire off the fender. Looks good though.
Well would I still need to extend my bumpstops after another 2 or so inches of lift?

Unread 09-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
mazegang
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to Dover!!! Get to know Mike and the guys at Mt Zion on Rte 74 N of the square in Dover. Good guys with lotsa Jeep know how! They do a monthly pilgrimage to Rausch. The next one is on Halloween weekend. Check their website out too.....mtzionoffroad.com

My 35 1250s stick out one solid inch from my flares. No cops have stopped me yet. Local boys are the NYRPD...Northern York Regional Police Dept. They will give you grief for no doors before tires sticking out.
mazegang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't updated this in forever, been so busy settling into PA and everything I haven't had much time for the Jeep, I finally went to Rausch Creek a few weeks back though and here are some pictures, finally some pictures of my XRC-8 as well.

For those of you who aren't tired of hearing how great the Rough Country 2.5 is here is a great flex shot.

Got to use my stinger a little here.

Overall I had a blast and my TJ performed well above my expectations, I thought my tires would hold me back. They didn't, I did fine in everything and didn't even have too much trouble through mud. Of course I still want some MT in the future but I've settled down about my tires and learned to love them for their all around comfort on the road and performance off-road. I had some clearance issues with my t-case skid but that's to be expected. I'll be taking out the skid drop because I found out it wasn't really necessary on my 2.5" lift.

Though I don't have much income down here to do mods I will be working towards some things slowly so the progress will come.

Unread 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
mazegang
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great work man! Like the liner alot.
Penn State University --- Class of '96
Unread 10-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
Fischey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh btw maze I'm going up to Penn State this weekend to see their game against Northeastern, can't wait.

Unread 11-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #15
mazegang
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet!!! Make sure you hit the Skellar or Zenos. Good stuff.
Penn State University --- Class of '96

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.