BigT2317's 2005 LJ Rubicon build part II - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > BigT2317's 2005 LJ Rubicon build part II

97-06 Jeep TJ 03-06 LJ 4" Rough Country Suspension liRancho Shocktober is here for fall 2015!!!!You Pick the Size and Style of Lift Kit. We will Find you

Unread 05-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

BigT2317's 2005 LJ Rubicon build part II

Okay guys and gals, if you didn't know, my last LJ Rubi was totaled about a month and a half ago. Wife was driving and she lost control, rolling it 1.5 times and ended upside down. Insurance totaled it and I was left with a decision, 1. Rebuild my jeep and keep on going or 2. Get a new project.

We decided on a new project but it had to be a much smaller scale project than rebuilding mine since I own a newly started pre-owned vehicle, new open trailer and new enclosed trailer lot and am extremely busy. A buddy of mine offered a deal on his 2005 Rubicon so I snagged it and now it's time to plan how I want it and change things up a tad.

My old build thread is http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bi...20/index6.html
Old jeep: IMAG0691 by bigt2317, on Flickr

The new jeep is quite built already but definitely looked a little too hardcore for me, I like a near stockish appearance while still being super capable. With that said, on to the pics when I got it.
IMAG0799 by bigt2317, on Flickr
UCF aluminum windshield armor by bigt2317, on Flickr

The biggest things I'm changing out are the tube fenders, wheels, rear stinger/carrier and the cage. I'm not fond of metal cloak armor, not that it's bad, it just doesn't do it for me. I'm swapping these out for Genright aluminum armor, same go for the sliders but in steel. The wheels will be traded out for a set of 17" Raceline monsters, rear bumper is traded for a swag bumper without carrier (I'm running spareless) and cage will be pulled for a proper cage.

Here are some of the spec's on the new jeep that the previous owner put together:
Black 2005 Long Wheelbase LJ with stock motor automatic transmission 241 transfer 27,000 miles and lots of extras.
Custom heavy duty 9 rear end with Chromalloy 35 spline axles, 513 gears and ARB air locker ARB high volume air pump with attachment to air tires
Custom Dana 44 front with heavy Cs, RCV Performance CV front axles life time warranty 513 gears and ARB air locker, and ARB Diff cover
ORI struts front and rear
Rock crawler long arm lift -three link front and four link rear
hydro assist steering
Electric line lockers rear
Ford ton disc brakes
Aluminum Radiator
Metal cloak fenders front and rear for clearance of 37 Goodyear MTRs
12,000lb Mile Marker Wench with synthetic rope, in cab controls
Spod electric panel to run extra electric equipment
Corbeau Seats
Cobra CB
Gas tank skid
Spare tire carrier tied into roll bar
Poison Spyder bead Lock Rims (5)
Aluminum Front Bumper
KC Fog Lights
Nice easy to use soft top and hard doors interior and fenders are rhino lined.

Flickr pictures
Crawler Hauler build FOR SALE
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There are a couple of questions I have after digging into this thing a little. Front axle.... What is it really? Here are some pics
IMAG0905 by bigt2317, on Flickr
IMAG0904 by bigt2317, on Flickr
IMAG0907 by bigt2317, on Flickr
IMAG0908 by bigt2317, on Flickr
IMAG0909 by bigt2317, on Flickr

The bolt pattern is only 5 on 4.5 and the axle tube diameter isn't too big so maybe a waggy 44 or early bronco? I haven't dug too far into it, just snapped some pics so if a better picture is need to identify let me know. The rear axle is a currie 9" with 35 spline shafts, and is really wide compared to the jeep, I haven't measured wheel mount to wheel mount but from outside of tire to outside of tire is around 84" with 37x12.5 and a 17x9.5 wheel with a 3.5" offset.

The front axle is running 1.5" spacers to get close to the rear track but the front is still 6" narrower, around 78". I was looking at getting a Raceline Monster set of wheels in 5 on 5.5 but the rear axle shafts aren't drilled for anything other than the 5 on 4.5 so I'm stuck there for now. Maybe when I go one tons, I swap them out for an 8 lug set.

One thing I hate about this one is the automatic, I just don't like them. I know it's weird but I seem much smoother with a manual than an auto, I feel disconnected with the jeep and what I want it to do.

I'll post up more progress and pics as I get them but if anyone knows what axle the front is please chime in!
Flickr pictures
Unread 05-07-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
06JeepXKHEMI

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Man thats quite the rig you got there, both 1st and 2nd!!! Not sure on axle, a narrow track waggy 44 is 62-63 wms and f250 full width with 12.50 is 80", based of quick google search.. But please let me know if/when you part with body parts or anything else as Im looking for cloaks, sliders etc..
Unread 05-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
Man thats quite the rig you got there, both 1st and 2nd!!! Not sure on axle, a narrow track waggy 44 is 62-63 wms and f250 full width with 12.50 is 80", based of quick google search.. But please let me know if/when you part with body parts or anything else as Im looking for cloaks, sliders etc..
Thanks! This one is for sure less road worthy than my last. My goal is to make it friendly on the street while a beast on the trail and it has to look somewhat tame. I'm not into the "hey look how cool I am" stuff that a lot of jeeps show.

I'm going to put the jeep on jack stands and measure wms to wms and get more info to see if that helps out. All those parts are already up for sale locally, I'd rather not ship them because everything is steel and it'll be expensive but if I get in a bind and need to unload them then I'll let you know.
Flickr pictures
Unread 05-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
StanF
Web Wheeler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed
StanF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
MisfitSeven
MAiL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the front axle is the stock rubicon Dana 44 with the WJ knuckle.
Unread 05-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
Looks like the front axle is the stock rubicon Dana 44 with the WJ knuckle.
That would be a good reason why it's still a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and I'm almost positive the axle tube diameter is 2.5". What I was stuck on is the high steer arm for the drag link.

I'll do some more digging into it and see what I find.

Thanks!
Flickr pictures
Unread 05-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
06JeepXKHEMI

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds good man, let me know if anything we can work something out. Subbed for progress on this
Unread 05-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
MisfitSeven
MAiL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Those heim joints look pretty puny...
There should not be any misalignment spacers on your tie rod. Also, the bolts in heims on the tie rod are upside down.

I would like to see pics of your pitman arm and front track bar mounts, frame and axle side.
Unread 05-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There should not be any misalignment spacers on your tie rod. Also, the bolts in heims on the tie rod are upside down.

I would like to see pics of your pitman arm and front track bar mounts, frame and axle side.
Dang, I didn't see this until now. I'll get some more pics for you to see. The heims are pretty loose so I was planning on replacing them soon. I'd rather stick with a tie rod end for longevity purposes but I don't want to mess with inserts and whatnot for them
Flickr pictures
Unread 05-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I placed an order today with Genright! I'm so excited to put my own touch on this jeep and tone the hardcore look down a little bit. Here is a list of what I ordered:

CNR6012-LJ Corner Guard set, Full STD, Aluminum
RCG-6003-Rocker Guards, LJ, STD w/ Side Bars
TFF-2730-Hi-Fenders, G3, Aluminum, TJ 4" High
TFF-2HIF-Inner Fender Well, TJ Hi-Fender
TFF2500-TJ Hi-Fender, INNER Mounting Kit
TFR1050-Aluminum Hi-Fender 4" Rear Tube Flares
TPG-2012-Tub Panel Guard, Tall, Alum Pair TJ/LJ

Next up will be a full custom cage, new Corbeau seats, some ORI piggyback reservoirs and new Raceline Monsters! I've always wanted the Monsters since they came out so I finally get my wish.

Here is my swag bumper I just got. Hopefully the "bling-ness" goes away once I paint it black.
[IMG]UCF aluminum windshield armor by Travis Reid, on Flickr[/IMG]
Flickr pictures
Unread 05-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Here are some more pics.

[IMG]IMAG0967 by Travis Reid, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG0969 by Travis Reid, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG0968 by Travis Reid, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG0966 by Travis Reid, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG0964 by Travis Reid, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG0965 by Travis Reid, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a video of the free play in the knuckle which is drilled out. Would it be best to try and put some tapered sleeves and use standard tie rod ends or just get new heims? The Jeep may see around 2,000 miles per year on road so it's no DD.

Link to flickr, hopefully this works....
http://flic.kr/p/t1zHDC
Flickr pictures
Unread 05-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
Tommy R
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I vote to install a tapered sleeve and convert to tie rod ends.
Unread 05-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
bigt2317
Mall Crawler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I vote to install a tapered sleeve and convert to tie rod ends.
That's what I was thinking to but what about an adjuster sleeve for easy alignments? I don't think my current tie rod will have enough room for a sleeve so I'd have to do like the heims and unbolt the tie rod ends and adjust them that way. Wouldn't that wear the tie rod ends out faster having to remove and reinstall a lot?
Flickr pictures
Unread 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
Tommy R
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt2317 View Post
That's what I was thinking to but what about an adjuster sleeve for easy alignments? I don't think my current tie rod will have enough room for a sleeve so I'd have to do like the heims and unbolt the tie rod ends and adjust them that way. Wouldn't that wear the tie rod ends out faster having to remove and reinstall a lot?
Would a stock style drag link work? Not sure if that knuckle has the tie rod end location in a substantially different location. It would suck to have to now pony up for a Currie (or similar) drag link, but if you want to drive it on the street (and I know y'all do), it's what I'd do.

I've got a stock steering setup in the garage if you want to do a mock up test fit. Just let me know...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.