bigdhamYJ's 1993 YJ Build... SLOW - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > bigdhamYJ's 1993 YJ Build... SLOW

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #76
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I should title my build "nothing but problems" because it feels like I can never keep up with things that need to be fixed! Got a new battery yesterday to find out that the wire that runs to the starter isnt making a connection and my new lights worked fine last night and this morning only one comes on! Love the jeep but man she loves to constantly kick me when I'm down!

image-1885596998.jpg   image-979873776.jpg   image-3333309278.jpg  
bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #77
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finally got around to changing my transmission fluid. I knew it was bad, but I'll edit with details later. For now, here's a sample of what I found in the old fluid...
image-4261272631.jpg  
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #78
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Too bad it wasn't on heads. Then it would have been good luck.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #79
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good on ya Louie! Those Defenders turned out sick on your YJ! Needless to say, the sizeable chunk next to the penny was one of many to rocket out when I drained my tranny fluid earlier. Should have put the penny on heads... Maybe that'd help me swap an ax15 or something haha!
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #80
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ordered the MORE shock mount kit for the rear today, should be in tomorrow. I am going to try my hand at a detailed install for this! If I've done the math right, (and my measurements are accurate) I should gain 2" of up travel, exposing 4" of the shock and allowing for 4" of up travel and 8" of down travel when off camber (flexed) if I set up bump stops accordingly. I may be completely wrong, because often times I am, but we shall see! This should remedy the rear shocks being a little big, and next up will be the fronts.
Unread 08-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #81
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

And here we go... Unboxing the package... Step #1! I did buy them from Quadratec because surprisingly they had the cheapest price, AND I ordered them yesterday, they literally took less than 24 hours to get to my door. say what we may about the Quadratec empire, but that's business, and good business nonetheless! So here are my detailed unboxing pictures. These things are BEEFY and I can't wait to install them. Hoping to knock em out tomorrow!
image-3790860375.jpg   image-1341224109.jpg   image-2237189160.jpg   image-285383388.jpg   image-1282673964.jpg  

image-1442341314.jpg   image-3845091793.jpg   image-853108360.jpg  
Unread 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #82
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've got lots of pics for the write up, but for now I will say this, it will be done Sunday afternoon because it's not going as smooth as I'd hoped. The kit is great, it's just user error. My measurement for the guide pin was more than off. :/
image-2915515274.jpg  
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #83
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

And here we go. As much detail and info as I can provide on installing the M.O.R.E rear shock mounts (they raise the shock mounting point 2" so that you can gain up travel, or just run longer shocks on your stock or modded rig, which still results in more travel!).

I found this easiest to take off the tires, and put it on jack stands. Most of this is necessary but I'm sure you could take off the shocks without removing the tires, yadda yadda yadda...

Removing the shocks depending on your set up is pretty basic and simple. For me it's a 3/4" Socket and a 3/4" wrench (top and bottom mounting points).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnndddddd they're out!

Both the fuel filter skid/protection plate and the tail pipe heat/flex plate will need to be removed and modified. The filter skid has 4 3/8" screws and the flex plate has 3 of the same 3/8" screws.

Here is the fuel filter skid

And this is the heat shield

Here is the mock up of the bracket and checking for clearance on the tub. I didn't think the bracket should touch the tub and I left about an 1/8" of clearance on both sides just to be on the safe side.

Here is the monster that is required to drill a hole in the frame for the guide pin. It is a 1/2" hole that has to go through the mount and then the frame for the guide pin (I later learned that the easiest way to drill this hole is to step up bit by bit rather than go at it head on with a 1/2" bit... ). This kit has the guide pin on the bottom and then mounts up to the factory shock mount with the factory nut.

Here is where I ended up with my drivers side hole which was just an overall flop. I was off by about a 1/4" inch with my measurements and the drill was clearly not held as straight as it should/could have been.

With a little help from my Dad, and one of his favorite drill accessories, the hole was drilled upwards to meet the proper location, and no wider than it needed to be.

Here is my dad using that particular bit with one of our little helpers. Needless to say, if it weren't for my old man I'd probably never finish half the projects I want to or actually start on my Jeep. He's great at fixing my screw ups, and just being about the best help anyone could ask for. :lowdown:

With the first side done and mounted up, the shock is clearly about 1.5" inboard, but it's that way on both sides and seems to be just fine.

the steel brake line here was pretty close to the top of the bracket, so to make sure it didn't rub or chafe we put a small amount of rubber line across and between the two so that that could be avoided.

The other side was pretty smooth, but the muffler and tail pipe were in the way of our drill. If we had a right angle impact/drill this could have been avoided but we simply unbolted the exhaust hangers and pulled the tail pipe down while we drilled through for the guide pin. I don't have as many install pictures of the passenger side, because it's pretty much the same as the drivers side, and we were ready to just knock it out.
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #84
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the skid plates and what not that had to be "modified" for the kit to fit and function properly. I simply spot checked the fitment and then traced it out and cut it with a grinder. Both cuts worked out great and fit fine!

Adding another sticker to the side was probably the finishing touch, but it seems I forgot to take pictures of the exhaust heat shield cut. It's pretty simple and just a small cut that helps clear the bracket. This install was fairly simple, I just wish I would have taken my time a little bit more rather than dive in head first. A few helpful pointers from Dad (along with his help) this install went smooth. I went from having 2" of shock stem exposed to now having Just shy of 5" of shock stem exposed on one side and right over 5" of shock stem exposed on one side. I am not too sure about these gains, but I know the shocks don't bottom out anymore in the rear so that was my main goal. I will try and take some more approximate measurements at a later date, but for now, it works, and it works good!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I would recommend this kit to anyone thinking about it!
Unread 09-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #85
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's gear oil...? No idea where it came from but I can't see any leaky spots on the Jeep. I'm usually the only one who parks there... Investigation time!
image-3879609731.jpg  
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #86
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing like a nice day of maintenance and cleaning. Oil changed, motor mounts about to be replaced, and finally put together my receipt folder.
Unread 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #87
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's what was left of my driver side motor mount. It's about time, and I can honestly say this is the first component I have replaced all by myself with no trouble and without any help! 'Twas a productive afternoon.
image-328414033.jpg   image-1301518521.jpg  
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #88
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Next project? Figure out why the heater stopped working, do some rust repair, whore myself out in search of a new soft top, and repair some rotting sheet metal... Rust Rust Rust, I'm quickly losing the battle with rust. My next big goal (8.8 and spring over being first) is to regear to 4.88's. I've been on the fence and regearing just seems to be the most productive and necessary mod, because a motor swap isn't on the list. Also over the next few months I'll be considering a transmission. An ax-15 swap would be my ultimate goal, but until then, I'll be finding some way to repair or replace my rapidly dying ax-5.
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #89
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man... Yeah, we can build those shock mounts for the front if you want. Let me know I can check our vendor account on 4.88's and see if I can get you a good price on them too.

Check the electrical connections on the heater/blower motor... isn't much to make them work.

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #90
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Works for me bud. We'll have to catch up some time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.