bigdhamYJ's 1993 YJ Build... SLOW - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > bigdhamYJ's 1993 YJ Build... SLOW

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #136
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Long time no update. Turns out running your YJ with no coolant in it will cause the temp gauge to come back to life and lead to overheating.. Whoops. I knew my radiator had a leak, but I guess I overlooked it. Upon filling it with some coolant, the temp gauge went back to not working (which is normal) and she seems to run cool again. I'll be ordering a new radiator next and most likely wiring my electric fan to a toggle switch soon that way I can cut down some of that heat.

bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #137
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you may need to get a new temp sensor...maybe.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #138
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Sounds like you may need to get a new temp sensor...maybe.
Just maybe.. I have an aftermarket gauge I bought literally a day after I got the YJ (almost 2 full years ago now) and just haven't gotten around to hooking it up. I'd like to figure out how to make the stock gauge work again because I personally think it looks a little cleaner but I don't know where to start on it. It sits below 0 and when operating comes up maybe an 1/8" to the base line. When it started to overheat the other day the gauge moved up to 180, but doesn't move anymore now that I've put coolant in it.
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #139
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you ground out the wire going to the sensor on the back of the head does it peg the gauge?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #140
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Louie4, thanks for the replies. I haven't gotten around to investigating the gauge problem yet. I'm currently just trying to get the Jeep drivable. She's been sitting in the driveway for about 3 months, started regularly, with about a 1/4 tank of gas. The other day while cruising the neighborhood, the top end of each gear, the Jeep would sputter, chug down in idle, and lose all power. It would run good up to about 1800-2200 rpms, and then above that would just lose all power from the engine until it dropped down below 1800 rpms. Now, on start up she runs like crap, idle is high about 1000-1100rpms but the Jeep is chugging, shaking, and making all sorts of odd noises. I've replaced the cap and rotor to no avail, and am now kind of at a loss. I'm going to check the spark plugs and wires, but other than that I don't know where to begin!
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #141
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdhamYJ View Post
Louie4, thanks for the replies. I haven't gotten around to investigating the gauge problem yet. I'm currently just trying to get the Jeep drivable. She's been sitting in the driveway for about 3 months, started regularly, with about a 1/4 tank of gas. The other day while cruising the neighborhood, the top end of each gear, the Jeep would sputter, chug down in idle, and lose all power. It would run good up to about 1800-2200 rpms, and then above that would just lose all power from the engine until it dropped down below 1800 rpms. Now, on start up she runs like crap, idle is high about 1000-1100rpms but the Jeep is chugging, shaking, and making all sorts of odd noises. I've replaced the cap and rotor to no avail, and am now kind of at a loss. I'm going to check the spark plugs and wires, but other than that I don't know where to begin!
Pull the codes out of it. Here's how to do it:

http://www.wranglerboard.com/f9/obdi...reference-262/

It sounds like a sensor problem so this should help diagnose it.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #142
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lou, I gotta hang my head on this one. She had enough fumes in the tank to start up and run like crap. I took a gas can and put a little gas in the tank.. Smoothed right out. The gas gauge was still reading a 1/4 tank so I had ruled that out, but I forgot the last thing my dad did with it was hook it up to his trailer and pulled it a few miles to mow my grandmas grass. Used up the last little bit of gas that was in there I guess.
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #143
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdhamYJ View Post
Lou, I gotta hang my head on this one. She had enough fumes in the tank to start up and run like crap. I took a gas can and put a little gas in the tank.. Smoothed right out. The gas gauge was still reading a 1/4 tank so I had ruled that out, but I forgot the last thing my dad did with it was hook it up to his trailer and pulled it a few miles to mow my grandmas grass. Used up the last little bit of gas that was in there I guess.
Haha!

I know I have looked over the simple things many times before on my jeep and have racked my brain with the complicated stuff only to kick myself later.

Glad you got it figured out.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #144
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Most definitely. Thanks again Lou. Now here's something that has me stumped. I have checked every angle and my jeep has been sitting In the circular driveway (the slightest incline) for about a week and just the other day literally started spewing gear oil from the top of the 8.8 diff breather hose. It sounds so off the wall I feel absolutely stumped on this one. I moved it in the driveway to see if the slight angle was causing it from what I've read online but it doesn't seem to make sense that it would push gear oil all the way up the breather hose and spurting out the top JUST sitting..
image-1543719899.jpg   image-3436873657.jpg   image-2642650522.jpg  
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #145
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

No problem. That issue with the leaky breather baffles me. Maybe try parking 180 degrees and see if it still does it? Either way, I would expect it to leak while driving on the road. Maybe take the hose off and make sure the line and the fitting are clear? I don't know how that would help but that's all I can think to do.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #146
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

long time no update! No driving the Jeep.. No wheeling the Jeep.. and really, no mods or work on the Jeep. I've been slacking! It needs an inspection and I need to get my shock tabs straightened out and prettied up on the front! I did put a new radiator in the Jeep because the old one leaked, but other than that she's just been a driveway queen/paperweight. As for the gear oil leak, when I park it the opposite way, it never happens haha.

With a little help from my new friend, this was probably the easiest thing I've ever replaced on the YJ!

And coming soon...
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #147
bigdhamYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

After sitting for a while, and being out of inspection for almost 5 months, blue has finally made her way back to the road! She's sporting the rejection sticker for now because the drivers caliper decided to seize up for about 20 minutes and started smoking and just put on an all around show. I was trying to get everything done and make it to school a little early, but that didn't happen, I replaced the caliper and now I need to bleed the brakes, replace a headlight, and then do nothing but drive it! Feels good to be back to the grind. Haven't messed with the Jeep in months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.