bgwyllys61's XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > bgwyllys61's XJ Build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-28-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
Brads_nky_yj

bgwyllys61's XJ Build

I am posting all of this info for my friend Will (bgwyllys61) since he doesnt like the computer that much and doesnt know how to post stuff lol. So anyway here it is.

The Jeep:
1997 Jeep Cherokee 4dr
4.0 Straight 6
Automatic transmission

The Goodies:
HP Dana 44 from 70's Bronco
Ford 9 inch
5.13 Gears
35x15.5x15 Super Swamper TSL/SX
Welded Front
Spool in the Rear
Trimmed fenders
Low COG
Complete Custom Front Suspension

Now the information:

We started today with myself (Brads_nky_yj), Will (bgwyllys61) and my friend Nate (wranglerswrock) around 10:00am. The first thing we did was sat around and chatted about nothing and then about jeeps and then decided to work on the XJ. Today's challenge was going to involve re-gearing both axles to 5.13 gears and getting the axles under the jeep.

We first started with the rear. Here is the Ford 9 Inch all set up and put in place. It took forever to get the axle all set and fine and all that nonsense. It ws nice not having to deal with shims tho. Sorry no pics of the third member on the table, I didnt think about taking pics then.

Here is a pic of the RuffStuff U-Bolts, Spring Perch and U-Bolt Plate. This thing is SOO beefy and is SOO strong!!! I am definatly ordering my 8.8 swap kit through them.

Here are the MASSIVE tires. The 35x15.5x15 Super Swamper TSL/SX's:

Then I had to take Nate home so he could go to work. I then returned to Will's house to continue work. We then decided to start work on the Dana 44. EDIT: We tore the Dana 44 apart before Nate left. It sucked and took alot of smashing, heating up, cussing, chiseling, pounding and pushing but everything came off and looks great now!! Plus we went to the parts store a few times.

The empty Dana 44:

Will removing an old pinion bearing. Again this was the first time any of us have re-geared ourselves and everything turned out very well and looks great. Thank God for that book from Randy's Ring and Pinion and all those cool tools.

For now Will is going to be running the front Dana 44 welded and the rear open until he can find that spool or locker he wants. Here are some photos of Will welding up the Dana 44 and then after shots once it was all tucked away nicley into the housing ready to have the axle shafts put back in.

Unread 12-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
Brads_nky_yj

Before massive fender trimming to fit these huge tires on these full width axles: We hope the ride height only to be about 2-3 inches higher than it is in these photos. The rear suspension is stock except for an Add A Leaf and the front is some sort of sweet Johnny Joint/Radius Arm/4 Link thing Will is finishing tomorrow.

And a shot of the only fender we got trimmed tonight, due to it being so late and us being overly frikin tired.

And here are the last 2 shots before my stupid camera crapped out on me. This is how it sits as of now, but Will will be finshing the front suspension and re-installing the axle shafts tomorrow so hopefully it will be on wheels and he will be sending me pictures as he is doing it so I will make sure to post em up.

And my baby, sitting outside in the rain this whole time.

Unread 12-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

for the record, i am the original Will and why the hell wasnt i invited?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook

Last edited by spyder6; 12-28-2008 at 09:30 AM..
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Brads_nky_yj

For the record you were but you told me you were in La Grange. remember???
Unread 12-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
bgwyllys61
1997 XJ Cherokee 

gettin a late start today, had to spend a little time with the Lady of the house this morning, should have some progress pics later
bgwyllys61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Brads_nky_yj

Just post up the links to the pics when your done Will or send em to me and I will post em up. Cant wait to see that front done. Maybe even have the Jeep on tires too!! You could drive it almost...only if you had steering!! lol
Unread 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

this town isnt big enough for the both of us.

is this XJ going to be ready for HnH on the 3rd?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Brads_nky_yj

in all reality probably not. If he gets all the parts in and what not by then, then yes but its still iffy. It would be sweet tho!!
Unread 12-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
bgwyllys61
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i hardly got anything done, i feel like absolute crap today, this cold is starting to catch up with me, i got the 9" assembled, and the brake lines run for it, put one tire on, and realized ive got some major trimming to do, so i started on that, ill send you a teaser pic of the rear
Unread 12-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Brads_nky_yj

yeah I knew the back would have to be trimmed a fair amount. I will down there again this week helpin Nate with his 8.8 and stuff so I should be able to stop by for the hour or two you have free a couple of those days. At least get everything trimmed and the axle shafts and front hubs all set up. Maybe even get the radius arm front done.
Unread 12-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
bgwyllys61
1997 XJ Cherokee 

im hoping that if nothing else i can bust *** new years day, and just about get it done, you have any plans? haha im praying my steering shows up by wednesday, then ill be good to go
Unread 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Brads_nky_yj

i will most likely be down there new years day so I could definatly help out. It would be awesome if you could come with us on the 3rd lol Ok here are some new pictures from today.

Some pictures of how wide this thing is gonna be: 35x15.5 TSL/SX:

Here is some of how close the tires are. And remember this is a LOW COG build, so the rear suspension is only an AAL kit, thats it.

Hopefully we can get almost everything knocked out by the end of this week. Hopefully the steering shows up this week. Enjoy!!
Unread 12-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
bgwyllys61
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i actually started on the rear trimming, as you can see, but since this pic was taken i have extended my wheel well to the back about 3 inches or so, good thing is, i dont have to drive this thing to HnH if we get it done
Unread 12-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
Brads_nky_yj

very true!! im just praying we can get it out of the garage lol
Unread 12-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
bgwyllys61
1997 XJ Cherokee 

it'll come out or ill just take the garage with me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.