Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

bgwyllys61's XJ Build

7K views 64 replies 8 participants last post by  Bloodcraft1987 
#1 ·
I am posting all of this info for my friend Will (bgwyllys61) since he doesnt like the computer that much and doesnt know how to post stuff lol. So anyway here it is.

The Jeep:
1997 Jeep Cherokee 4dr
4.0 Straight 6
Automatic transmission

The Goodies:
HP Dana 44 from 70's Bronco
Ford 9 inch
5.13 Gears
35x15.5x15 Super Swamper TSL/SX
Welded Front
Spool in the Rear
Trimmed fenders
Low COG
Complete Custom Front Suspension

Now the information:

We started today with myself (Brads_nky_yj), Will (bgwyllys61) and my friend Nate (wranglerswrock) around 10:00am. The first thing we did was sat around and chatted about nothing and then about jeeps and then decided to work on the XJ. Today's challenge was going to involve re-gearing both axles to 5.13 gears and getting the axles under the jeep.

We first started with the rear. Here is the Ford 9 Inch all set up and put in place. It took forever to get the axle all set and fine and all that nonsense. It ws nice not having to deal with shims tho. Sorry no pics of the third member on the table, I didnt think about taking pics then.

Here is a pic of the RuffStuff U-Bolts, Spring Perch and U-Bolt Plate. This thing is SOO beefy and is SOO strong!!! I am definatly ordering my 8.8 swap kit through them.

Here are the MASSIVE tires. The 35x15.5x15 Super Swamper TSL/SX's:

Then I had to take Nate home so he could go to work. I then returned to Will's house to continue work. We then decided to start work on the Dana 44. EDIT: We tore the Dana 44 apart before Nate left. It sucked and took alot of smashing, heating up, cussing, chiseling, pounding and pushing but everything came off and looks great now!! Plus we went to the parts store a few times.

The empty Dana 44:

Will removing an old pinion bearing. Again this was the first time any of us have re-geared ourselves and everything turned out very well and looks great. Thank God for that book from Randy's Ring and Pinion and all those cool tools.

For now Will is going to be running the front Dana 44 welded and the rear open until he can find that spool or locker he wants. Here are some photos of Will welding up the Dana 44 and then after shots once it was all tucked away nicley into the housing ready to have the axle shafts put back in.

See less See more
#2 ·

Before massive fender trimming to fit these huge tires on these full width axles: We hope the ride height only to be about 2-3 inches higher than it is in these photos. The rear suspension is stock except for an Add A Leaf and the front is some sort of sweet Johnny Joint/Radius Arm/4 Link thing Will is finishing tomorrow.

And a shot of the only fender we got trimmed tonight, due to it being so late and us being overly frikin tired.

And here are the last 2 shots before my stupid camera crapped out on me. This is how it sits as of now, but Will will be finshing the front suspension and re-installing the axle shafts tomorrow so hopefully it will be on wheels and he will be sending me pictures as he is doing it so I will make sure to post em up.

And my baby, sitting outside in the rain this whole time.

#9 ·
i hardly got anything done, i feel like absolute crap today, this cold is starting to catch up with me, i got the 9" assembled, and the brake lines run for it, put one tire on, and realized ive got some major trimming to do, so i started on that, ill send you a teaser pic of the rear

#10 ·
yeah I knew the back would have to be trimmed a fair amount. I will down there again this week helpin Nate with his 8.8 and stuff so I should be able to stop by for the hour or two you have free a couple of those days. At least get everything trimmed and the axle shafts and front hubs all set up. Maybe even get the radius arm front done.

#12 ·
i will most likely be down there new years day so I could definatly help out. It would be awesome if you could come with us on the 3rd lol Ok here are some new pictures from today.

Some pictures of how wide this thing is gonna be: 35x15.5 TSL/SX:

Here is some of how close the tires are. And remember this is a LOW COG build, so the rear suspension is only an AAL kit, thats it.

Hopefully we can get almost everything knocked out by the end of this week. Hopefully the steering shows up this week. Enjoy!!

#13 ·
i actually started on the rear trimming, as you can see, but since this pic was taken i have extended my wheel well to the back about 3 inches or so, good thing is, i dont have to drive this thing to HnH if we get it done:2thumbsup:

#22 ·
yeah I would love for you to come with us. That would make the total 5 or 6 definates and like 4 maybes. Plus whoever else wants to come. I am still waiting on Nate to tell me when he is planin on doing his axle, but if he doesnt let me know soon I will be down Thursday to help you. We WILL get everything knocked out. I will show up at 10(oh gosh thats New Years Day...might have a headache lol) and I will leave when I need to...or around 10 or so lol But yeah hopefully Nate does his axle Friday that way I can come down, help you all day..crash at his place Thursday night and do his axle Friday..hmm..maybe maybe...Oh and then while Im down there you can let me use your welder for some practice...not joking either lol

#23 ·
works for me, just as some advice, drink a glass of water, eat a pepcid, and take some ibuprofin before bed, you should wake up feeling pretty decent, thats what i do, and its always worked. may not be 100%, but its alot better than being stuck in bed all day. 10 sounds good, that means i should get about 6hrs of sleep :cheers::tea:

#24 ·
yeah Im not gonna drink too much actually and I never get hung over unless I drink alot of whiskey/wine. I figure we can get it all knocked out thursday. You work on the whole front suspension stuff and I will assemble the axle and try and get the steering done. If you get the other rear trimmed and put sheet metal like ya did today before thursday we should be good to go!!

#26 ·
yeah let me know how that goes with the new clutch assembly tomorrow. I really hope its all fixed. You got a High Lift now, you bend your tie rod..bend it back lol but honestly you wont break anything man. The park has so many different trails. I need to get my steering box skid and hellas wired up by saturday..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.