Bedwell's Jeep Sahara Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Bedwell's Jeep Sahara Build

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #31
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update: May 21st 2012

Progress is getting ready to come to a stop. I can't move forward until I figure out how to adjust the shifter linkage and to be honest it is kicking my ***. I ordered the bracket kit and still have not had success in getting it too work. I am honestly that frustrated I may pay someone for an hour of labor to come help me fix it and get the belly up done.

Anyway, Eric on Friday came and delivered my parts!

(HP30, Currie Control Arms, Transfer Case Shifter Bracket, Correct Speedo Gear)

I then got the heavy pig up on some jackstands I had:

As I mentioned before, we have been having alot of trouble with the shifter linkage, so I decided to work on the front axle.

We stripped down what I needed to put on the new HP30, a couple bolts, an axle nut and new carter pin, and the rotors and lug nuts.

After that, I was pretty much frustrated with the shifter linkage, so we cleaned up the garage before I messed something up. We will just have to figure it out another day.

And thats it for now, I will give a couple folks a call who may know how to adjust the linkage, because once it shifts correctly and the belly up goes on, out comes the front axle!

https://www.youtube.com/user/RockCrawlinJeeps
Bedwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update: May 26th 2012

To say that we made progress is an understatement. Words cannot express the gratitude I have for the help I received from Paul (Boodyrider) and my friend Greg as well as Ryan (rj91jeep) for the parts and misc items. Yesterday (5/26/12) we put about a grand worth of labor into the Jeep and almost 12 hours. I will try and remember all the stuff that we had accomplished as it is a long list.

Greg and I went to TSC to pickup new skid plate bolts and some decent spray paint. After that we stopped at Advanced Auto and picked up a spring compressor that will be rented and returned. Next we then headed home to find Paul already there and waiting.

We then crack into getting the shifter bracket done. I really want to thank Paul here again since he has done this mod before and we got it done in about 20 mins. After getting the linkage adjusted, our progress once again came to a halt.

I was missing parts for the Speedo Sensor/Gear, so Paul set off to Ryan's to grab a couple misc peices and Greg and I head to Advanced Auto in Hanover PA to pickup a trans mount as mine was in a poor state and completely broken.

We had made it back before Paul and installed the transmission mount. Paul returned a short time later and we then got started on installing the belly-up pan now since everything else was already completed. (BL, MML, SYE, Shifter Bracket Kit)

We removed the old mount from the stock transfer case skid and installed it on the new Under Cover Fab Ultra High Clearance Belly-Up. With some work, we then got the bolts a few threads in and had the skid hanging. Next we tightened down the skid only to find out that I was having tub clearance issues. So out came a large pry-bar and a sledge and some "massaging" of the tub. Made sure everything shifted correctly and tightened down the skid.

The Belly-Up was finally done! No more drop! (I was given the task then of adding fluid to the case, what a pain in the ***!)

So after making alot of progress, we then decided to tear out the front axle. I did not accomplish alot here, other than being the parts ***** and holding the lights and handing tools. Paul took the lead and with in no time we had the front axle out with all the control arms, misc steering and the housing. Next we measured the new Currie Control Arms to the correct length and installed them on the housing. We had to drill out the bushing to get a greasable bolt through for the uppers.

After that we had came to a halt with the new trackbar, so Paul set back off again to Ryans for a huge *** drill bit (9/16ths) so that we could properly drill out part of the frame.

Since he was gone for about 45 min, myself and greg installed the Skid Row Steering Box Skid.

Paul then returned and we then installed the trackbar to the frame end. We then dragged the new HP30 under the Jeep and got all the contol arms mounted and the trackbar to where it should be. That was all in one day, and I was dragging by the end of the night. Once again I want to give a HUGE thank you to Paul, Greg, and Ryan for the progress we were able to make with your help.

We still have a ton of work to do to the front end but it can be completed soon, and then back to Eric so he can install the 8.8 and getting the rear setup!

Unread 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Over 1000 views, anybody following my build?

Update: June 21st 2012

The trackbar was a pain to say the least. The mount on the axle side had been bored out a bit so we decided to drill out the trackbar to accept a larger 7/16 bolt to secure it. After about 4 bits, almost a can of wd-40 and frustrating work, I hand it over to my step-father. He takes it to work and gets it machined out with a drill press and an hour and a half of labor! The inside of the trackbar must be made out of alloy or super strong steel. Grade 8 bolt ran through it and all secure.

We took a few days break and on my only off-day of the week I wanted to work on the Jeep real bad.

My step-dad and I were able to install the new OME 2.5" HD Springs and Shocks really easily. I am glad I only rented the spring compressor as it was absolute garbage and luckily we had enough droop/flex to get them in with the prybar.

Springs and Shocks Installed:

After that we decided to work on the Steering setup. That also went on pretty easily too and in a few hours got the new Currie Steering with the OME Steering Stabilizer all set up.

Now on to the brake situation. I have gone through approximately 3 rear sets of drum brakes. While everything is apart I discussed this over and plan on running a set of 35s. It leads me to believe that my front calipers are not in good working order or even that there may be air in the lines.

So I called Eric @ KnowWhere2Jeep to have him expedite a setup of Centric Rotors and Calipers, and a set of Black Magic Brakes. I will be going over the braking system and will be installing longer steel brake lines as well when we go to redo the system. I swear I haven't been this anxious for parts since I dropped the Jeep off at AOI the first time around when I got it lifted, so close to being done on my end!

That is all of an update for now! I am going to give Paul a call tomorrow to see if he can come over in the morning to assist with some suspension cycling. I fear that I am going to run into some binding in the front. Might even try to stretch the front an inch or two if possible!

So to get it out of the garage I need to following:

Basic Alignment and Suspension Cycling
Front DS hooked up.
Refill Fluids (Front Diff and Transmission)
Charge/Change Battery
Some fresh gas.

After that I will be able to get it out of the garage for a real cleanup. I need to blow out the frame since there is a good bit of dirt/rust build up for Rausch Creek and give it a good bath.

Then its too be loaded up on a trailer and up to Eric for an 8.8 swap, so close to wheeling again.

Unread 10-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm following your build. Jeep is looking great. Which control arms are you using again? I'm really thinking about a set of those OME springs.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #35
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
I'm following your build. Jeep is looking great. Which control arms are you using again? I'm really thinking about a set of those OME springs.
Currie Arms, much better than the prior Rough Country.

Unread 10-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #36
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are lots of us following the build. You have done a fair amount of work to that puppy!

What made the Rough Country lift undesireable to you?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #37
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by responder View Post
There are lots of us following the build. You have done a fair amount of work to that puppy!

What made the Rough Country lift undesireable to you?
Quality. You have to remember I had that lift close to 3 years at this point before removal. This was also there most basic kit, it was wore out. Rough Country seems to have improved since then, but I still would not recommend them. Granted I have not posted many wheeling photos, but if you check out my website link on the first page we went trail riding once every couple of months, and mostly rocks. This was also my daily driver for quite awhile too. The springs never seemed to settle, the shocks were junk, the bushings wore out, etc. It was also my first purchase after saving for months working a minimal wage job, so I regret it because it was an spur of the moment and I didnt do any research. I most likely would have waited and actually sold this Jeep, and turned the prior CJ7 I had into my wheeler. But thats not the case, and here we are.

Unread 10-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #38
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will take what you have said when I go to purchase mine.
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #39
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by responder View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will take what you have said when I go to purchase mine.
Not a problem, I would strongly recommend the OME Kit.

Update: June 27th 2012

Well I was making good progress in hopes of getting this thing out of the garage finally. So I decided I would hook up the driveshaft as I could knock that out by myself.

I first dropped by the belly up pan and gave it a proper coat of paint.

The went and hooked up the driveshaft.

A few days went by and then decided to start getting the final pieces in order. I went to bolt the skid back up and all 3 of the holes on the left side of the frame strip out. So I am unable to make any more progress on the motor at this time. I ordered nutserts and hopefully will be trying to take care of those soon.

So since I was out of luck there, I decided to turn back to what we could work on. Went with the Centric/Black Majic Kit as that is a excellent upgrade without doing a very expensive setup. Tonight we installed the new extended brake lines, Centric Rotors and Calipers and Black Majic brakes. I will be running the same components on the Ford 8.8 in the rear.

That is all for now, here is a basic rundown of what needs to get fixed:

Fix frame nutserts, bolt up trans skid.
Top off Fluids (Transmission, Front Diff)
Bleed Brakes
Get the 33's back on and out of the garage!

Then it will be off to Eric @ KnowWhere2Jeep for who knows how long, he has a mountain list of stuff to work on.

Unread 11-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #40
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeps looking great.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #41
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Jeeps looking great.
Thanks! Its going to get better, I promise.

Unread 11-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #42
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

Well we made it out of the garage! Sunday (07/01/2012) we accomplished a good bit. I had my buddy Greg come over and we got started on the nutserts, what a pain but after we got the process down we made short work.

We first grinded down the welds on the outside of the nutsert. After little progress my step dad comes out and got them done real quick. He grinded them down and took the air hammer and knocked them out. Greg then tac welds the nutserts in place and then does multiple passes and I step in after the welding and clean it up flush with a grinder. After a couple of hours we had the skid bolted back up.

We then took the battery charger and hooked it up real quick and got it a fresh charge, it was reading on red at about 8 volts. After about 10 or so min we took a chance and it fired right up. We checked the transmission fluid and the little bit that leaked out from when the transfer case was off did not affect it, it was still reading on max.

We then bled the brakes to make sure I could have some stopping power. After that I hooked up the breather tube for the HP30 and we were off to roll out of the garage.

Backing out in 4WD with a locker was interesting. It look me a few times but we got it out of the garage. I can really feel the difference with 4.88 gears! It is super low and feels awesome. I can also tell the motor is alot closer to the body now as it has a little bit of vibration but not where it shakes you to death. I think it is fine at the moment but may take a look at it later down the road.

The next day (07/02/2012) I finally gave it a well deserve cleanup with a pressure washer and a wax. Cleaned up real nice and fixing to get it up to Eric after he returns from vacation.

Pics:

Belly Pan installed and no more t-case drop:

Going from the garbage 4" Rough Country lift to the 2.5" OME with Currie Arms. As you can tell the rear has not been taken apart, thats Eric's job.

All cleaned up:

Unread 11-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #43
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update: July 16th 2012

The Jeep is up in PA at Eric's house for the 8.8 overhaul. We got it trailered up to him on Saturday morning in the downpour. A long list of upgrades are in store, so it will be there for a few weeks. I wish it could be done sooner but thats the timeline so there won't be any updates from me for a while. Hopefully he will take some build pictures and keep everyone in the loop.

A few notable upgrades: Ford 8.8 with 4.88s and ARB, Currie Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, JKS Swaybar Links and Trackbar.

Unread 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #44
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update: August 15th and 16th

Combining a couple posts into one:

Got some updates from Eric, Jeep should be finished by Sunday, and I got another list of things I wish to accomplish before it hits the trails for camping and offroading next weekend.

1. New Tire Carrier/Rear Crossmember
2. Rear Corners, Rockers, Misc. Paint/Body Work
3. Install Halltrail Engine Skid
4. Install Halltrail Rock Sliders
5. Install New Optima Yellowtop and Fuse Panel
6. Check all electrical
7. Cleaned up and ready to wheel

Should be a fun week.

Ordered my Crown Rear Bumper (Warn Knockoff) Tire Carrier today with the AtoZ Fabrication Frame Tie-Ins. Holding off on the Battery since it really hasnt been driven in 6 months to see if the alternator just needs to have it charged up or it actually needs to be replaced.

So for wheeling next weekend I need to do the following:

Install Rear Bumper
Install Halltrail Skids and Rockers
Fix Battery Issue
Camping Supplies

Then getting it prepared for winter. (Hardtop and Full Steel Doors)

Unread 11-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #45
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

August 20th 2012:

Well Jeep didnt get finished on Sunday, but had to go up there and drop of my spare and other misc stuff.

Progress looked great, and should be done tommorrow. However that puts me in a serious time cruch as I need to get everything packed up and my additional skids on before we leave. Also that puts me in a bad situation with the gear "break-in" period. I have read up that I need to do about 20 miles and let cool down, then do 20 or so again. Then it states to go about 500 total miles and then change the fluid. My only problem is that I need it done before friday...

Any comments on the gear break in period?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.