My other MJ has been taking longer than I thought it would, and I wanted something to wheel over Christmas break while all of my friends are home from college.
A buddy sent me a link to this jeep for sale on Facebook.
About 2 hours later, it was on my trailer on the way home behind my friends truck.
Here's the jeep when I got it. 1988 MJ LWB 4.0 AX15, soa rear with a stock XJ dana 30. Stacked coil spacers in the front and some weird shock extenders on the bottom of the shock. Had some half decent 33s on it, with a spare.
Here's the jeep when I got it.
The first thing I did was clean it out. I filled 2 trash cans from the compost pile in the bed and trash in the cab. I did find some used straps that I can still get some life out of.
Then these came up pretty cheap. A Rear 60 with a Grizzly, and a front LP44. Both had 5.13s. I also got brand new boggers on wheels, springs, shocks, steering, and driveshaft.
Then I ordered some ruffstuff parts, and ripped the rear axle out.
I took apart the stock rear to sell the 3.55s from it. I found a lockrite inside.
My Compass(in the background) towed home the new axles, wheels, and tires.
I added a cut down ram 1500 main leaf to each pack, because thats what I had laying around. I also cut 2 ram overloads down to the length of the ruffstuff perch to act as a .75" block.
Centering the axle and tacking the perches
Then I welded in the perches and disk brake brackets
And finally on its own weight.
I could only get one shaft in to drive it out, the locker worked fine. Once it was outside, I put the other shaft in.
Here it is next to my friends TJ on 38s.
I turned it around to work on the front.
Living in the northeast, the quickest way to get the front axle out of a jeep is to cut. You can also see the rigged up shock extenders in this pic.
Anyone need a dana 30? I really need to clean up the garage.
You can see the stacked coil spacers in this pic.
Theres no going back now
I took her out to test. I think it went very well for a test run. My shortened rear driveshaft worked. I exploded the slip joint on the front though, so I made a new one from square tube.
To do still is front lift and shocks, upgrade the brakes, rear shock mounts, and finish the bumpers.
Also spent some time making a bumper for my friends dodge. He bent his hitch, trying to pull me out after my front driveshaft took a ****. The good news is my front crossmember held up to a 30' strap and a 5.9L.
Now, Im up to date. Current plans are to do the brakes, shocks, and re do the rear bumper that came on it. The welds are cracked so im gonna strip it to a bare piece of 2x6, clean it up and make some better mounts for it.