bclark11's 2004 D44 TJ Sport Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > bclark11's 2004 D44 TJ Sport Build Thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark11
Lift Update: 4 Wheel Parts did an alignment for me today and set up my caster, toe, axle centering and steering. Now I can proudly say that I have NO DEATH WOBBLE!!!!! It rides soo good now. The roads in Houston are terrible and the Billsteins do a great job absorbing the bumps. Moreover, some squeaks and weird noises have disappeared with the lift install!!! BONUS! Now time for tires... Stay tuned.
Welllll the DW has resurfaced. I'm trying to diagnose the cause. Can't find any good DW threads on JF. Sent a PM to Blaine at Savvy and left a voicemail yesterday at their shop... No response yet. I can find anyone locally that knows what they're doing. Arrrrrgggg.

My TJ Build Thread...
bclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #32
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The answer is should've bought currie products. Double check all torque settings.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #33
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864
The answer is should've bought currie products. Double check all torque settings.
Yeah yeah yeah... That seems to be the chorus around here. I think there are plenty of people that have had success and are happy with Teraflex. I plan on eventually replacing my stock CAs with Savvy JJ arms.

I have checked torques on all the parts I installed. I will go back through and check all bolts up front even the ones I didn't loosen while doing the lift.

Thanks for the suggestion dude.

-BMC

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #34
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Okay... so I am still battling a case of the dreaded Death Wobble. I got in touch with Mr. Blaine and he got me pointed in the right direction. Told me to do the dry steering test and look for any movement in the steering or axle support system (control arms and trackbar). I do see a little bit of movement in the tierod/draglink set up. But I am not sure if it is too much movement or normal movement... I shot a short video of the dry steer test and posted it to youtube:

Mr. Blaine told me to look for movement and replace anything that is worn out, then test drive to see if im still getting wobble. Also said I should get my tires balanced and rotated. If wobble persists then set my toe out to 3/4" and go for a drive. If the wobble stops then the issue is my upper control arms and bushings. He was fairly confident that it is my upper control arms based on the symptoms. So my goal for tonight is to get some feedback from you guys on my steering linkage movement (replace any worn out parts) and set my toe out, go for a test drive, and replace the upper bushings if needed (already purchased them in anticipation of Blaine's prediction being right).

Let me know what you think about the steering movement. I will also start a new thread with the video.

Thanks!

-BMC

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #35
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark11 View Post
Okay... so I am still battling a case of the dreaded Death Wobble. I got in touch with Mr. Blaine and he got me pointed in the right direction. Told me to do the dry steering test and look for any movement in the steering or axle support system (control arms and trackbar). I do see a little bit of movement in the tierod/draglink set up. But I am not sure if it is too much movement or normal movement... I shot a short video of the dry steer test and posted it to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqV2bUi0tGc

Mr. Blaine told me to look for movement and replace anything that is worn out, then test drive to see if im still getting wobble. Also said I should get my tires balanced and rotated. If wobble persists then set my toe out to 3/4" and go for a drive. If the wobble stops then the issue is my upper control arms and bushings. He was fairly confident that it is my upper control arms based on the symptoms. So my goal for tonight is to get some feedback from you guys on my steering linkage movement (replace any worn out parts) and set my toe out, go for a test drive, and replace the upper bushings if needed (already purchased them in anticipation of Blaine's prediction being right).

Let me know what you think about the steering movement. I will also start a new thread with the video.

Thanks!

-BMC
Video should be working now...

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, time for a death wobble update.

After talking with Mr. Blaine I have pretty clear plan of action. Here's what I've done/have planned so far:

1. Dry steering test to check for any loose rod ends or bushings. Saw some slight movement on the tie rod joint where it meets the draglink but didn't seem that bad (back to this later)

2. Re torqued EVERYTHING.

3. Had my tires balanced and rotated.

3. Set my toe OUT 3/4" as per Mr. Blaine's instruction. After doing this I went on a test drive and most of my DW had disappeared. Blaine warned me that if I had this result it meant that my upper control arm bushings were bad and I would need to replace the axle side upper bushings.

4. Blaine mentioned that i should replace them with either new factory style bushings or with the JJ ones. I went with Moog OEM style for now to make sure that was the issue. What a pain in the arse it was to get those off. The drivers side was the worst.... I had to make a pressing jig to get it out. Here is a diagram of what I did:

image-595740495.jpg

Now that the new ones are in almost all of the DW is gone. But it still feels a little weird and I'm worried that it could come back full force on me. So...

5. (Back to step 1) I redid the dry steer test and noticed that the movement in the tie rod was worse than before. So I picked up the parts to do a ZJ tie rod conversion. I figured it's a better time than any to do it and if I'm going to have to buy 2 new tie rod ends why not spend an extra 50 and upgrade. So I'll do the swap and go for a ride to see if that does the trick. If not, on to step 6.

6. Savvy aluminum control arms.

I am really looking forward to this being resolved. Need to stop spending money on this so I can start saving again for tires. Was hoping for a tax refund but it looks like I'll be paying Uncle Sam about 1,500 extra this year on top of the insane amount I've already been robbed of...

More to come.

-BMC

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #37
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

image-1271698366.jpg

Doing the ZJ tie rod swap tomorrow. Here are the parts waiting to go on (this is the tie rod and the adjusting sleeve, picking up the rod end tomorrow morning). Im thinking about shooting a video tutorial of the process. Ill put it up on youtube and monetize it. Think that would be worthwhile?

-BMC

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #38
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark11 View Post
Attachment 369608

Doing the ZJ tie rod swap tomorrow. Here are the parts waiting to go on this is the tie rod and the adjusting sleeve, picking up the rod end tomorrow morning). Im thinking about shooting a video tutorial of the process. Ill put it up on youtube and monetize it. Think that would be worth while?

-BMC
I think it would be great. That may be a simple thing for some of us but just remember how many people show up in tj tech every day asking those questions. Heck, I even watch how to videos on things I already know how to do sometimes. It doesn't hurt to improve one's skills. More power to ya!
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So... I did get the ZJ tierod swap done today. I gave up on the video tutorial plan. To hard to do with only one person. I did take some pictures of the process. It actually went in really easy. All parts and paint together was like $160 from Oreily's.

First I primed and painted the parts to match the rest of the steering components. Then beat the old puny TJ tierod out with a BFH and some PB Blaster. New tierod torqued to spec. Full width shot. Then I did the Ghettolignment to reset the toe. I'll be replacing the draglink end where it meets the pitman arm this week and getting Savvy front upper and lower CA's in a couple weeks so the home alignment will have to work till those parts go on. Don't want to have to keep paying for alignments.... I drive 20 mph max for 2 miles to get to work in the morning, should be fine.
primer-can.jpg   hanging-primed.jpg   black-paint-can.jpg   all-painted.jpg   removal-ddrivers.jpg  

removal-pass.jpg   draglink-hole.jpg   install-drivers.jpg   full-frontal-cleaned-up.jpg   drivers-align-cleaned.jpg  

My TJ Build Thread...

Last edited by bclark11; 03-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: fixing pics
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #40
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Another Ghettolignment shot...

Also finally installed the storage posts for my JKS QD's
pass-align.jpg   jks-drivers-side.jpg   jks-pass-side.jpg  

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #41
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got my new draglink sanded primed and painted yesterday. Let it dry today. Install tomorrow.

image-1940886651.jpg

image-704775698.jpg

image-2611698338.jpg

image-2077169725.jpg

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #42
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So my goals for this afternoon are to install the new draglink, double check all torques and alignment (toe in and center steering), remove the hard top and install my bikini top for the first time!

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #43
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Okay! Got a lot done today. Got the new draglink and pitman arm end tie rod end installed and greased. Also took the hard top off and tried to install my windshield header.... Apparently it is not compatible with my Mopar bikini top. FML. I may call up 4 wheel parts and see if they'll swap it out for me. Not holding my breath.

Here are some pics:

Old and new Draglink.
image-3701628682.jpg

New installed. It's amazing how fast and easy a job can be when you have the right tools (tie rod end removal fork and a BFH)
image-558572287.jpg

Topless for the first time this season.
image-1180821607.jpg

New to me Duster installed. This thing fits great -- very tight. I don't have the brackets to hold the rear flap tight to the tailgate but it works fine like this for now.
image-3265404852.jpg

Here's the windshield header that I have no use for now. Son of a...
image-3325202555.jpg

I have a bunch of small projects to get done over the next few weeks. I'll keep my build thread updated as I go!

-BMC

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #44
roman-loling
2005 TJ Wrangler 

keep up the good work man!
roman-loling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #45
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
The parts he installed from Teraflex wouldn't have caused death wobble. It is people like you who cause the fanboy stereotype on this forum. Stop trolling ******.

Sorry for th hijack OP. Looking good so far. I'm quite fond of khaki TJs.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.