Bbuschs' stealth Rubicon build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Bbuschs' stealth Rubicon build

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #76
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great looking Jeep, i like the 35's and the TT. I'll be going with 35's will do the TT later. When you rebuilt the engine, why not a stroker? it made mine come to life!..

Offshoredrillin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #77
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJeePTJ View Post
Normally I would agree. However, the nth trac bar bracket/brace mounts the frame end in double shear so the end of the currie bar wouldn't work if you wanted keep the bracket, which in my opinion is a nice design since it braces off the opposite site frame rail. If I am mistaken and currie does make a bar that has the frame end turned 90 degrees, then forgive me.

The Currie unit is very beefy but the JKS looks nice as well. I don't really care to go back to the stock mounting location (plus I don't know any ill effects it may have with my Nth lift) so I can run a more expensive trac bar.

Any thoughts... Does it make since to scrap the Nth front trac bar setup for the Currie TJ unit? If I do go with the Currie unit should/would it work properly with the Nth lift?

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #78
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
Great looking Jeep, i like the 35's and the TT. I'll be going with 35's will do the TT later. When you rebuilt the engine, why not a stroker? it made mine come to life!..

Thanks for the compliment. As for the engine rebuild, I was on a time factor. I needed the rig back in ten days or less and had already done my homework on the Hesco rebuild. After I fixed the motor I really was/am sorry with the performance and overall "feel" the motor offers. I found a stroker ready for swap after the fact and was sorry I didn't go that route. I would not go Hesco parts again nor will I sink very much more money on this motor (other than preventative maintenance). The stroker is something I considered and now regret I didn't make happen.

My Rig

Unread 11-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #79
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusch View Post
Thanks for the compliment. As for the engine rebuild, I was on a time factor. I needed the rig back in ten days or less and had already done my homework on the Hesco rebuild. After I fixed the motor I really was/am sorry with the performance and overall "feel" the motor offers. I found a stroker ready for swap after the fact and was sorry I didn't go that route. I would not go Hesco parts again nor will I sink very much more money on this motor (other than preventative maintenance). The stroker is something I considered and now regret I didn't make happen.
totally understand the time factor, i have a fabtec kit with spacers and jks trac bars front and rear, which i like, but do to time constraints i had someone do it for me, well its not set up like i want and he didn't use anti-seize and first salt snow a few years back, they are stuck tighter than a nun's you know what. I'm going to upgrade my stuff to savvy and Currie and put this on my daughters 05 Rubicon. I also notice you didn't mention spacers for the rims/tires. I've had a couple other guys tell me its close but not needed. I think I'm going to go that way as well. I bought my stoker straight from Golen and Chad was great to deal with bigger injectors too and i love the way mine is now.
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #80
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusch View Post
The Currie unit is very beefy but the JKS looks nice as well. I don't really care to go back to the stock mounting location (plus I don't know any ill effects it may have with my Nth lift) so I can run a more expensive trac bar.

Any thoughts... Does it make since to scrap the Nth front trac bar setup for the Currie TJ unit? If I do go with the Currie unit should/would it work properly with the Nth lift?

I highly doubt strength will be an issue with either the JKS or the Currie Bar. As far as getting rid of the nth bracket to go back to the stock mounting orientation with Currie bar, there is certainly nothing wrong with that (as long as you also put the stock pitman arm back on). Ton's of people run that bar and abuse the setup with no issue. I chose to not do that on my personal jeep simply because I like the extra piece of mind that the nth bracket gives by bracing off the opposite side frame rail and mounting the frame end in double sheer. I actually used to run a Currie T-bar with my old 2" lift and had no issues with it. It is now living happily under a buddy's jeep. That is just my $0.02 though so take it for what it's worth
VTJeePTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #81
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The JKS bar will bend before the Currie will, that's been proven. The tube is thicker and is heat treated while I believe the JKS just uses non-treated DOM. The JKS bar will hit the diff cover before the Currie bar will due to Currie's offset JJ. Lastly, the Currie uses a 5/8" bolt instead of the JKS's 9/16" bolt at the frame end. This isn't a big difference but it can be torqued quite a bit tighter, resulting in a bolt that won't ever loosen up on you. Also, it takes a 5/8" bit to totally remove the factory taper so you've got more bracket surface against the 5/8" bolt vs. a smaller 9/16" bolt. The Currie TJJ comes with a bushing that uses a 1/2" sleeve for a larger 1/2" bolt and I'd recommend going that route.

I ran a JKS bar and now run a Currie bar. It's the best off-the-shelf bar available, period. You'll obviously have to remove the Nth bracket. If you'd like to spread the load to the opposite frame rail, this wouldn't be tough to accomplish using some tube.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #82
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I am leaning toward swapping in the stock pitman arm then removing the Nth part and upgrading to the Currie TB. Hope it's worth the coin, still gonna make some calls to Savvy and Currie but looking forward to some positive feedback so I can pull the trigger on the purchase.

Installed my MPAC rack today, looks great and is very functional!

Top pack sports my winch remote, the orange pack is my medical bag

Tailgate closed

Side seat pack, fits perfectly for small quick access tools that I use often

And finally my door packs, they are very handy and fit perfectly allowing the door slots to actually be functional.

Organizing the rig was my goal with these packs, easily accessible and efficient, very happy with the look. Ordered the Recaro seats today in black Leather, they should be here in 4-6 weeks!

My Rig

Unread 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #83
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to be placing my order in tomorrow, as soon as they come in I'll post some pics for ya. Thanks for the info as well!
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #84
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like the tailgate storage , might have to steal that for mine .
Unread 11-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #85
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
I'm going to be placing my order in tomorrow, as soon as they come in I'll post some pics for ya. Thanks for the info as well!
Sure, post em up in here.. would love to see em!

My Rig

Unread 11-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #86
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I like the tailgate storage , might have to steal that for mine .
Everyone's setup is different but for me these packs work great and don't take up as much room as a toolbox. I think Springtail has a sale going on right now on the rack itself.

Ultimately by next summer I want an ARB Freezer Fridge mounted in the back with a rack mounted above it, that will for the most part complete the major things I want done to the inside of the cab.

My Rig

Unread 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #87
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Slowly but surely I'm getting the rig's interior back together.

The rear seat still looks good but I'm considering a cover to match the front seats. I like having the rear seat as an option in case I have lots of company in town.

Here is an unexpected PITA. Can't seem to get the seatbelt base to hook correctly onto the lower roll bar, now it has locked up and I can't get it to extend out. Such a headache!

Ready to install this, turns out I didn't need the RE rear swaybar links

And I'm dealing with this mess right now. This has been driving me crazy since April. For some reason my rig has developed a ground issue and my accessory 12v wire is having issues. To top it off I had to send my Alpine off to be serviced at Alpine as it seems to not be working as well.

Finally got my rear plate installed properly, turned out ok.. given the tools I was delt.

Hopefully by years end I'll have my dual battery management system going (Kodiak Industries) properly. Also I plan on installing the Currie tracbar very soon.

My Rig

Unread 11-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #88
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

And a few pics of how the rear turned out. The carpet mat really adds to the look I was going for.

My Rig

Unread 12-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #89
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I think I have finally worked through the stereo issues. I called Alpine and they replaced the face plate to my CDA 9855 receiver, after all the wait and headache the fact that the face is brand new again is worth it. They basically have repaired and replaced my eight year old player to practically new again with lots of new parts.

I was dealing with a bad ground issue, CD player was having issues (Alpine didn't even figure it out first round) and the 12v acc. wire was driving me crazy. Problems have persisted since April but my stereo is seemingly working as of this evening, just in time too.. the new seats should be in by end of next week. I went for a cruise tonight and the system sounds so nice, I have been going for so long without sound and was finally able to jam those new PC 165's in the JeePods so I'm feeling pretty good right now!

New face plate to go with my new interior

And finally everything is back together. I can not wait to get those new Recaros installed, the interior will feel complete again.

My Rig

Unread 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #90
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

They finally arrived, total time from order to delivery was six weeks.

Leather quality is very nice, the seat feels very similar to the seats in my BMW 3 series.

Not yet mounted, looks like this will not be a simple swap.

Well it looks like I need to do more homework. The stock brackets don't exactly bolt up so I will need to either have something fabbed up or I need to find an adaptor plate.

My Rig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.