Bbuschs' stealth Rubicon build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Bbuschs' stealth Rubicon build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #61
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You can listen to me or them, up to you. They're wrong, though.
It's not necessarily who I'm listening to but rather finding someone who can track down the issue and fix it. So far four shops have been unable to find or diagnose the problem with the outcome I desire. I should drive some other rigs and see how tight they steer, I am just affraid the problem isn't going away (at least until I upgrade my entire front end with a high steer setup). Like the mystery pop noise I have had for 6 nearly 7 years and noone can seem to figure it out this is one of those issues I have basically learned to live with (like I said before, my rig drives and steers very nicely so many others wouldn't even notice this issue).

Thanks for your input, if you know anyone in Northern NV/CA that you are sure can figure this one out let me know and I'll take some business their way.

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #62
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Could also possibly be the steering gear itself? I have heard of a few occurances where folks had similar issues with the '03 + steering boxes and it was resolved after swap to a PSC (or the like) box. Of course, this assumes you run the stock box still?

I have an '03 sport with a nearly identical setup to yours (i.e. Nth (AEV) long arm with their front trac bar setup, currie steering, 35" MT, etc.) and I have not had any issue with a dead spot and I tend to be quite picky about street handling as well. Input seems to correspond directly to output (for the time being). Just another thought to rule out
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #63
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^^
Thanks for the thought, I upgraded to a PSC box several years ago for this very reason but it didn't resolve the issue. I have decided to look for a new Jeep Mechanic as I have not been too happy with mine for a few different reasons.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this subject are well received. Thanks

My Rig

Unread 11-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #64
d42bible
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice build. I love the Tahoe area..
d42bible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #65
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you do any of your own work? What's your level of understanding as far as steering goes? This isn't a tough problem to figure out. The culprit of the slack should be pretty obvious if you know what to look for and where to look for it.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #66
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another assumption here that it has already been addressed, but do you run the original trac bar that came with that nth kit? If so, that is a factory wj bar (as i amsure you know) with the factory rubber bushings. I changed mine to a JKS wj bar and also swapped the bushings at both ends to high durometer poly ones from Kevins offroad that also uses a much larger bolt on the axle side. This really went a long where towards "tightening" up my front end so just another thought.
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #67
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

@Imped

I agree that this shouldn't be a tough problem but it has proven over the years to not only be tough to figure out but a trail of swapping out parts to see if it helps the "tightness" as VTjeePTJ said. I drove her down to Reno over Mt. Rose on Tuesday and then returned with her last night and the steering actually feels good, just not perfect. Also haven't replaced a part on my front Swayloc so I am open on the front.

To answer your question regarding my understanding of steering systems... I am no engineer but I have some basic understanding for TJ's as I have owned one for 16 years and have run across several issues when it comes to steering over those years. What frustrates me the most is that I have taken the rig to several shops over the years and all at some point after throwing parts at it give up by saying something like.. "awe that's just how TJ's drive" or "there is really nothing you can do unless you change the setup". This includes a well respected shop in Rancho Cordova, CA, nothing I can really do except continue to seek out other shops/help. I don't know maybe this is true and my Jeep is as good as it's gonna get but it sure leaves something to be desired. A few weeks ago I took her into a local gas station here in Incline that works on cars and we lifted her up and checked all the bolts/bushings and everything seemed tight and in good maintenance order. I have her worked on once a year doing an overhall in the spring as well so she is well cared for, I like to be in good working order for wheeling season and the following winter. There is not any noticable play in the steering and I just had my alignment done last Friday. The rig has many upgrades including a WJ tracbar (fairly recent replacement), Currie HD tierod, PSC steering box, PSC steering pump with cooler and Aluminum Reservoir, upgraded swaybars and custom work done to the tracbar axle end to beef up and strengthen that particular weakness. Just some info on my rig and background.

@VTjeePTJ

I actually replaced the tracbar with another WJ bar a few years ago and regreted not going with the JKS afterwards. Went on advice from Jim (who at that point was working for AEV in Michigan after he sold the company) to stick with the GCherokee tracbar. I appreciate the suggestion, I think I may order one and give it a shot. I do believe it could be in the tracbar connection even tho I keep a close watch on my bolts and bushings on the front end.

My Rig

Unread 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If everything else does seem to truly be up par in terms of wear, adjustment, etc. I would definitely recommend doing the JKS bar WITH the high durometer bushings that Kevin's offroad has custom spec'd for the Grand Cherokee guys. When I first installed my AEV setup, I did run the factory WJ bar with the rubber bushings and I was just never quite thrilled with the "feel" of the front end. Not that it handled poorly, more just that it didn't feel as tight as I had hoped. The JKS bar with the new bushings and larger Axle end bolt made a very noticable improvement in terms of the tighter "feel" of the front end. I actually even noticed it felt much more solid offroad and seemed to control the front end better through rutted trails.

BTW, I had admired your jeep in the past on ROF as well as here and the overall proportions/tucked belly/semi-sleeper look, etc. were exactly what I wanted for my jeep, and now have. So thanks for that bit of inspiration Best of luck getting this issue licked!
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #69
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d42bible View Post
Very nice build. I love the Tahoe area..
Thanks, I have invested years and lots of time on her! As for Tahoe I am very blessed to get to live here. This is a tough place to survive so every year I get to stay I am thankful.

My Rig

Unread 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #70
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going to be spending money on a track bar, you want the Currie 9120TJJ, not the JKS. Have you performed a dry steering test and watched each end of every link individually? That will direct you to the culprit. Don't assume that shops, even 'reputable' ones, know how to properly diagnose stuff like that.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #71
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJeePTJ View Post
If everything else does seem to truly be up par in terms of wear, adjustment, etc. I would definitely recommend doing the JKS bar WITH the high durometer bushings that Kevin's offroad has custom spec'd for the Grand Cherokee guys. When I first installed my AEV setup, I did run the factory WJ bar with the rubber bushings and I was just never quite thrilled with the "feel" of the front end. Not that it handled poorly, more just that it didn't feel as tight as I had hoped. The JKS bar with the new bushings and larger Axle end bolt made a very noticable improvement in terms of the tighter "feel" of the front end. I actually even noticed it felt much more solid offroad and seemed to control the front end better through rutted trails.

BTW, I had admired your jeep in the past on ROF as well as here and the overall proportions/tucked belly/semi-sleeper look, etc. were exactly what I wanted for my jeep, and now have. So thanks for that bit of inspiration Best of luck getting this issue licked!

Thanks for the connection, I will definitely check them out for that tracbar. Also glad you like my build, I am just looking to have a capable trail rig and keep things mild looking on the exterior.

My Rig

Unread 11-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #72
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you're going to be spending money on a track bar, you want the Currie 9120TJJ, not the JKS. Have you performed a dry steering test and watched each end of every link individually? That will direct you to the culprit. Don't assume that shops, even 'reputable' ones, know how to properly diagnose stuff like that.

While at the gas station a few weeks ago we did just that, inspected the joints on everything including the suspension. I had my CA bushings relaced last summer and no off roading since (rig was down all summer due to dual battery setup so I didn't wheel this year). I did stand there and look over the steering with the mechanic and watched key areas but then again I am not a "professional". I have seen rigs loose in the front while dry steering on pavement and mine has no sign of what I have witnessed before. I am going to continue to monitor my front end and will check it again this weekend.

I drive a BMW and they have tight steering compared to most vehilces and I want my rig to drive similar to that. The tighter the steering the happier I'll be.

I was able to replace the aluminum piece on my ORO Swayloc today, nice to have the swaybar connected again. I don't know if I would have gone with the ORO product had I known the replacement of this piece would be considered routine maintenance.

And finally fixed

I had to flex her out for the pin to line up with the sway bar, thank goodness rocks are a dime a dozen in Tahoe. Winterized the rig last week including a new windsheild, stud tires, oil change, rear diff changed and tire alignment

I have a new OME/ARB steering stabilizer on the way as well as some Rubicon Express rear sway bar extensions, will mount in a week or two. The tracbar is something I am looking into at this point, hopefully I can find one that will really tighten up my front end.

My Rig

Unread 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #73
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Imped, I will call Currie about that tracbar. I am not a huge fan of Currie but they do have some great products.

Almost forgot to post the Line X job, they did amazing work, very impressed! Had them apply the UV protectant so it shouldn't fade.

My Nifty Catch All floor mats should be here in a few hours via UPS, can't wait to order the Recaro seats!

My Rig

Unread 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #74
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just showed up

So brown just showed up and to my frustration the rear cargo mat was the wrong color (drop shipped from Nifty). My LED's were wrong as well, it seems a quarter of the time packages show up incorrect... such a waist!

The front mats on the other hand look great. They have a nice tight feel and look very clean over the Line X.

Nice shot of the tuffy box

Rear mats

Probably be another week or so before I get the rear cargo mat installed, bummer.

My Rig

Unread 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #75
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Normally I would agree. However, the nth trac bar bracket/brace mounts the frame end in double shear so the end of the currie bar wouldn't work if you wanted keep the bracket, which in my opinion is a nice design since it braces off the opposite site frame rail. If I am mistaken and currie does make a bar that has the frame end turned 90 degrees, then forgive me.
VTJeePTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.