Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

BBB Black and Blue YJ Build

382K views 4K replies 124 participants last post by  '92 vegas YJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Ill start by introducing myself as another newb. My name is Ashland, 20 years old, and currently live in the soon to be cold state of Michigan. I recently came in to some money so I decided to by another jeep. Before I just had a 95' jeep grand cherokee. I bought a 93' jeep YJ, 4 banger with 31x10.5x15 tires(I think the tires won me over), that needs quite a bit of work.

I bought the YJ for 2000$ (way to much). The guy I bought it from said it just needed a clutch, which I now know was not the case at all. Not only did it need a ton more but the clutch was fine. So far I have replaced the clutch (it was a little worn out), slave cylander, some kind of pressure piston that cost 200$, a motor mount, some thing that connects the motor mount to the frame, a new trasmission support/skid plate(also cost alot) and a new valve cover.

Right now ive put about 1000$ into it and havent even been able to drive it but if I have any luck ill be able to drive it home tomarrow, were the more cosmetic work will begin. I will have pictures of it up asap.

#201 ·
Well, I just got finished doing the bastard pack lift. I got about 2.5 in the front and what looks like about 3 in the back. I was really only hoping to get about 1 inch or so and improve the ride. I had to end up doing a t-case drop due to the bad vibes :mad:

It was a VERY labor intensive project, the threads and post on here are somewhat mis-leading in how hard this is going to be. At least for me it was hard. Maybe having a proper shop with access to lots of air tools and someone to help you would make it go lots smoother. Me........I did the majority of it in my gravel driveway. ( I had cardboard to lay on)

I did buy a large vise, 6 inch I think, a large pry bar (3 or 4 foot), a electric impact wrench from harbor freight (worth it's weight in gold if you don't have a compressor), and I already had a angle grinder with cut-off wheels, lots of bud lite lime, and a set of mechanics gloves (trust me)

things I wish I had doing this
-air compressor (obviously)
-large press...for the frame shackle bushings (you'll see :teehee:)
-a lift, crawling under the jeep and bending over all the time sucks
-not started doing the lift and just saved up for a OME lift :cool:

---the back IS sitting up slightly higher, I actually did the front approx a year ago and just finished the rear yesterday, so I'm hoping for a little settling of the rear to even out, if not ...oh well

oh, and it's sitting on 235/75/15's until my wallet can afford some 31's

pics
only front done here

front pack finished

taken last night before the t-case drop (SYE later, got a fresh trans and t-case in the shed waiting to go in that that will go on)

hate to retype this so I'll prob copy and paste in the bastard pack thread as well

good luck

#204 ·
Finished the bastard pack! It was a pain in the as* but I happy with the turn out. I did the lift, a ZJ pitman drop, a TC drop, took off my track bars, took off the sway bar, relocated the brake lines to the bottom of the frame and of course the truck shocks. I also did some flexing this morning and it did awesome. heres some pics. first two are after and before.

Attachments

#206 ·
That turned out REALLY good! If you're looking for extended brake lines for the front there is also a "cheap" solution. You can run two passenger side brake lines from a 99 dodge 2500. I will dig up a link for ya! I think I paid $12.50 or so a side from rockauto.com and they are much longer.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=967944

You can just search H380344 as a part number!

#208 ·
Cool deal, just curiously how does your hard line run under the hood? My lines for a while have just been hanging, the small bracket before the soft line on both sides have been just hanging, and it seems like the hard line may have been out of place? Mine runs down the passenger side of the frame and down.

#209 ·
My drivers side runs staight down from the master cylander to the frame, along the inside of the frame untill the wheel and on top of the frame was a hole were the begining of the soft line bolted and the hard line connected. The passanger side ran from the master down to the frame, to the grill, ran across tne front of the grill to the other side, ran along the passanger side of the frame to the tire were it mounted the same as the other side. Along the entire frame there are little clips that hold my lines in place, but yes the lines should bolt to the frame right were the hard line meets the soft line. I dont run bump stops on my jeep so to relocate my lines i just fliped the lines to the under side of the frame and put the soft line bracket bolt into the front bump stop bolt hole.

#212 ·
Ok guys here we go. Other than the injurys to my hands the weekend went really smooth. I cut my nuckle on my left hand with the grinder, went down to the bone(had the cutting but on) and smashed the finger on my right hand with my new tire carrier. Sooo every thing is broken in in that sense lol.

The corner went really smooth and was pretty simple, took me a total of about 5 hours. Here some pics of that. Sorry about the cell pics.

Done all by hand, no rollers or bending tools, just a vise, hammer, and grinder.:2thumbsup:

Attachments

#213 ·
I couldnt be happier with the out come, just needs a little bond were the welds were ground smooth.

Now for the S10 blazer tire carrier, that was a pain. It took me about 8-10 hours, mostly grinding. The stocks mounting brackets had a curvature that conformed to the body lines of the blazer so i had to grind them down flat, cut the bottom bracket down and cut and re-weld the top bracket to the correct angle to match the yj body line. I also had to extend the stock blazer latch. I extended it 4 inches but I think I will be cutting down to 3 inches later.

I also built some support bracket for the sides of the tub so the carrier didnt rip the bolts through the corner. heres some pics.

Attachments

#216 ·
more pictures

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.