Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

BBB Black and Blue YJ Build

382K views 4K replies 124 participants last post by  '92 vegas YJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Ill start by introducing myself as another newb. My name is Ashland, 20 years old, and currently live in the soon to be cold state of Michigan. I recently came in to some money so I decided to by another jeep. Before I just had a 95' jeep grand cherokee. I bought a 93' jeep YJ, 4 banger with 31x10.5x15 tires(I think the tires won me over), that needs quite a bit of work.

I bought the YJ for 2000$ (way to much). The guy I bought it from said it just needed a clutch, which I now know was not the case at all. Not only did it need a ton more but the clutch was fine. So far I have replaced the clutch (it was a little worn out), slave cylander, some kind of pressure piston that cost 200$, a motor mount, some thing that connects the motor mount to the frame, a new trasmission support/skid plate(also cost alot) and a new valve cover.

Right now ive put about 1000$ into it and havent even been able to drive it but if I have any luck ill be able to drive it home tomarrow, were the more cosmetic work will begin. I will have pictures of it up asap.

#741 ·
Tore into the Jeep today with no unexpected damage. Front drive shaft is fine just needs a new u joint. The t case surprised me though, all the internal parts are in perfect condition even the chain so I'm going to try to sell a few of the parts and put the money toward new parts. Also replaced my front shocks under warranty.

And this is the rest of the t case i still have to separate from the trans.

#748 ·
ashland82391 said:
Bent one spring back pretty close to where it was before but i found out i need new u bolts because the rocks chewed the ends bad...

Before

After

I hope after awhile it will settle the rest of the way.
I'd be careful with those springs. They can't be as strong as they should be after they've been bent and bent back. What brand are they? The company might warranty them out, I know I've seen people bend super lift springs and super lift warranted them. Or maybe you can call them and they can sell you just a main leaf?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#763 ·
But if you don't mind me asking, how'd they get that bad? :confused:

Scratch that.. I see where you caught air, AND drug it through rocks. Fair enough haha.

#764 ·
Made progress today,i would have finished it today butI'm waiting on my trans mount to get in. it ripped right in half when i hit the rut.

Out!!!

One half of the mount, i checked the motor mounts and they are still good.

Then i realized the tj trans was set up for a external slave so i had to switch everything over. I will do the external mod when i have the extra time and money.

I had to swap the center section and bell housing.

Oh! And i found this yummy stuff in the old trans. Not sure how it got so much water in there.

New trans all put together and i put her in.

#767 ·
Yeah, they wouldn't warranty them because they weren't defective. The guy said i could mail them to him and he would take a look at them but I'm not going to waste my time.

The plan for now is to take the military wraps of my rear springs and put them up front to support the main spring and then I'll just throw the front second leafs in the back replacing the military wraps.

#768 ·
ashland82391 said:
Yeah, they wouldn't warranty them because they weren't defective. The guy said i could mail them to him and he would take a look at them but I'm not going to waste my time.

The plan for now is to take the military wraps of my rear springs and put them up front to support the main spring and then I'll just throw the front second leafs in the back replacing the military wraps.
Man that sucks. Too bad I just got rid of 2 RC lift springs that would have worked for a while for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.