Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

BBB Black and Blue YJ Build

382K views 4K replies 124 participants last post by  '92 vegas YJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Ill start by introducing myself as another newb. My name is Ashland, 20 years old, and currently live in the soon to be cold state of Michigan. I recently came in to some money so I decided to by another jeep. Before I just had a 95' jeep grand cherokee. I bought a 93' jeep YJ, 4 banger with 31x10.5x15 tires(I think the tires won me over), that needs quite a bit of work.

I bought the YJ for 2000$ (way to much). The guy I bought it from said it just needed a clutch, which I now know was not the case at all. Not only did it need a ton more but the clutch was fine. So far I have replaced the clutch (it was a little worn out), slave cylander, some kind of pressure piston that cost 200$, a motor mount, some thing that connects the motor mount to the frame, a new trasmission support/skid plate(also cost alot) and a new valve cover.

Right now ive put about 1000$ into it and havent even been able to drive it but if I have any luck ill be able to drive it home tomarrow, were the more cosmetic work will begin. I will have pictures of it up asap.

#434 ·
Well, I had an idea today so I put my Martha Stewart skills to work.

Tints and shades Rectangle Gas Linens Hardwood

Cloud Tape measure Automotive tire Sky Wood

Sleeve Rectangle Grey Tints and shades Electric blue

Sleeve Automotive tire Waist Dress Wood

I decided to make an insulation/sound proof blanket that will stick to the underside of my soft top. I have no idea if it will work so we will see.
I have a 2" thick peace of cotton sheet in between black fabric.
I'll install it tomorrow and take pics.

#437 ·
ashland82391 said:
Well, I had an idea today so I put my Martha Stewart skills to work.

I decided to make an insulation/sound proof blanket that will stick to the underside of my soft top. I have no idea if it will work so we will see.
I have a 2" thick peace of cotton sheet in between black fabric.
I'll install it tomorrow and take pics.
So you are doing this to lessen the noise? It's cool that you have the skill to fab tops and stuff like this. I couldn't imagine install something like that in mine for more heat I get cook out as it is!

#438 ·
Honestly, I bought the fabric and cotton a few months ago and it was just sitting in my closet so I decided to do this out of boardom. I hope it helps with noise but I don't expect a huge result. I do expect some good results for heat though. I really want to get that scoop that you have because my heat isn't that great.

#439 ·
well today in anticipation to getting my o2 sensor in the mail I took off the old o2 sensor and man with that rusted. so to prevent myself from more work I did everything I could not to strip the o2 sensor.

sprayed it with WD 40
Stonemason's hammer Wood Bumper Automotive tire Gas

cut off the wires

Road surface Asphalt Concrete Soil Event

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Building material Wood

broke off the o2 part with a bar

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Bicycle part Automotive exterior

Wood Tool Metal Soil Natural material

Fluid Gas Fish Scaled reptile Auto part

and presto I was able to put a 6 point socket over the nut. there was no way I was going to try a 12 point wrench because it would have stripped for sure.

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Road surface Asphalt Wood Grass Pest

#441 ·
Do. You have an o2 socket? They are a ton easier and only cost like 10 buck, totally worth the money even when you only do 1 a year hahahahah

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum

#443 ·
Ya autozone has them they are just a 7/8 deep socket with one side cut out for the wires, makes jeep life a little easier. But the jeep looks good and give you props on a motor swap by your self over the weekend.

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum

#445 ·
Put a new muffler on today! Got a magna flow and I love the sound, much deeper then the stupid thrush turbo and a lot quieter since it was blown out.

Pics

Attachments

#457 ·
Hey man just thought I'd stop by n say hey....haven't read the entire thread yet but it's late...and hey wouldn't we all love a shop...lol I'd settle for a flat piece of concrete driveway in front of a shed or garage...especially if it had elec....lol I build with uneven mud side yard and extension cords...lol...any way never sell yourself short at what you can accomplish with a few select tools and massive amounts of beer....oh and in my experience(self proclaimed super genius) most things are never as easy as some folks make them out to be nor as hard as others say...at least if I do it I either know it's done right or that if it's not I can only blame the jeep...lol

#460 ·
Well, I have a couple thoughts to share, LOL there good thoughts, The stuff your doing to your Jeep is all good stuff, your learning to make the most out of very little, if you had all the money in the world and paid to have it all done you would have a very nice jeep but would it really feel like it is yours. the way your doing it its yours , you know when you hear a noise where its coming from, you know the feel before and after a mod. Now it is nice to pay to have a big thing repaired or upgraded but I like the feel of doing this myself, My rock sliders were just a pile of stuff in my garage but now they look awesome to me because they are on my Jeep and I welded them, ground them painted them and mounted them. they are very simple looking but they only cost $20 and I learned a few things while doing them. You get the Pride of doing it, but also the experience. and thats the BEST part lol.
The other thought and I have experineced this too, every repair or mod feels like a trail fix lol thats the dirt floor barn or parking lot mod that you do!
So Keep up the good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.