Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

BBB Black and Blue YJ Build

382K views 4K replies 124 participants last post by  '92 vegas YJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Ill start by introducing myself as another newb. My name is Ashland, 20 years old, and currently live in the soon to be cold state of Michigan. I recently came in to some money so I decided to by another jeep. Before I just had a 95' jeep grand cherokee. I bought a 93' jeep YJ, 4 banger with 31x10.5x15 tires(I think the tires won me over), that needs quite a bit of work.

I bought the YJ for 2000$ (way to much). The guy I bought it from said it just needed a clutch, which I now know was not the case at all. Not only did it need a ton more but the clutch was fine. So far I have replaced the clutch (it was a little worn out), slave cylander, some kind of pressure piston that cost 200$, a motor mount, some thing that connects the motor mount to the frame, a new trasmission support/skid plate(also cost alot) and a new valve cover.

Right now ive put about 1000$ into it and havent even been able to drive it but if I have any luck ill be able to drive it home tomarrow, were the more cosmetic work will begin. I will have pictures of it up asap.

#3 · (Edited)
So, everything worked out pretty good yesterday. Got a call at 11am saying that the jeep was done. I took my newish baby home (drives like a dream and shifts great) and started a little work. Fixed wind sheild wipers, the internal wiper arm disconected from the motor. Found out when I got it home that the hard top was only held on by two loose bolts:oops: so I got that all fasened down. Then remounted the seat belts because there original mounting spot were rusted out. I must say ive grown attached to the money eater already.

#6 ·
For the past few days Ive been working on the heep. Mounted the hard top, relocated the seat belt mounts, fixed windshield wippers, chager fuel filter, made relocation mounts for mirrors, changed all four shocks(had to cut the 18year old ones out with a tourch, replaced the front driver side brake hose and line, replaced both front brake pads, calipers, and rotors. It was a long couple of days but I eventually got everything done. I probabley could have got it all done in a day if everything wasnt so fricken rusted!!:brickwall

#18 ·
thats a pretty common thing to do with these YJs. Search spring over axle (SOA). when you do that you get about 5 inches of lift using stock springs. There is alot more involved with it tho than just relocating the springs on top of the axle. And it can get expensive. Also if your gonna go thru all that work you might as well at least upgrade the rear axle. :highfive:

#33 ·
but that kits not a complete one like RC. The RC kit comes with..
-shocks
-swaybar links
-track bar brackets
-transfer case drop
-new U bolts
-brake line relocation brackets.

so that $160 deal isnt a deal when you have to go buying everything its lacking :cheers:

#35 ·
:rofl: ive been there! like i said just get a complete kit from somewheres like rough country. i know there not the best brand but ive had nothing but good experience with them. Price is hard to beat and there customer service is outstanding. Start with that and go from there.:thumbsup:

I forgot to ask but what are your plans with the jeep? A lot of on road use or dedicated toy? what type of wheeling? Mines a DD and weekend warrior and mine suits me just fine.

#36 ·
I forgot to ask but what are your plans with the jeep? A lot of on road use or dedicated toy? what type of wheeling? Mines a DD and weekend warrior and mine suits me just fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah ill be a weekend warrior i dont have enough money to have a dedicated toy lol. I havent done any offroading with it yet besides run around in my grandpas back yard to make sure the 4 wheel drive worked, but I hope to once I replace the rest of the brake lines later this week. There not in very good shape and I dont want to risk braking one.

#40 ·
Yeah they are pretty rusty. we have replaced the driver side already and we are using copper lines, which are amazing!!!! you can bend the stuff with your hands and it only cost like a dollar more at autozone.

Yeah it has to have at least a two inch lift on it. im pretty sure its got aftermarket shackles on it because they look pretty big. ill post a picture of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.