Basic Build:99 wrangler 4cyl - JeepForum.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ctjeeper91

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-20-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Basic Build:99 wrangler 4cyl

Hell all , i know the title is boring but i have no cool name in mind yet for the jeep. Bought his bad boy last June from a neighbor the first day he put the for sale sign on it. It is a completely stock 4 banger with a 5 speed and really nothing else except a newer quadratic soft top. Shortly after the purchase i plasti dipped the wheels back to make it look just a hair better. Included is a pic of it the day i got it. I will slowly be adding accessories to the jeep, some small and seemingly useless others little more elaborate and i will be looking to you all for advice and opinions on some things.

Attached Images

99 TJ 4 Banger, manual trans, Rough country 4'' lift with JKS adjustable front track bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also got a spyder web shade for the top of the roll cage and some Bartact grab handles, I will post pics of them tomorrow and let you all know my first impression of the products.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...+Handles&c=254

https://www.spiderwebshade.com/jeep-...ype/yj/sw1-tj/

99 TJ 4 Banger, manual trans, Rough country 4'' lift with JKS adjustable front track bar.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-25-2016, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I napped a pic of the Handles and you can kinda see the spider web shade. I have new brakes on order new roters, calipers, pads, shoes, and drums with all new harware. next is a lift kit thinking basic and going with Rough Country 4'' lift. Also considering a JKS adjustable track arm with 15'' pro comp wheels i would run my current 30x9.5r15 BFG all terrains till i can swing 33x12.5 mud terrains. Please let mee know what you all think. I know the lift is cheap but the jeep has 200,000 on it so i cant justify a $2500 currie lift plus shocks. (unless its really worth the cost). Remanufactured engine and axles are down the road maybe next year.Also the Jeep is not a daily driver.

Lift kit http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-906s.html

JKS http://www.quadratec.com/products/16007_001_07.htm

Pro Comp Wheels http://www.quadratec.com/cart/cart.p...600+0022+P5+07

Currie lift lit. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16251_0001.htm
Attached Images

post #4 of 12 Old 04-29-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

so of course one thing leads to another. Suspension is shot and shocks are done so i went with the lift, rough country is what I chose. Then i figure while i have the jeep apart why not do the brakes all around so that was ordered up also.Then if the jeep is that taken apart and on blocks why not POR 15 the entire frame and suspension mounts? , so that was ordered next. I also picked up a JKS adjustable track bar. To bad the wheels are back ordered till who knows when. Tomorrow will be the start day for this project and it will be at my buddies house so it will be a long process with only working sat night and Sundays but ill keep this page updated.
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 Old 04-29-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I also cant help but show how this lift is packaged up, not even some high end kits come with this much care and thought into the safe travel of the products. Ill take more photos when i crack open the rest of the kit. Also got a new steering stabilizer from rough country. Cant wait to get this project going!
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Worked on the jeep over the weekend. Rear is done and took around 6 hrs to do the suspension and brakes. Front is still in progress and i needed to order new cam bolts for the front control arms as the original ones are one with the bushings and will have to be cut out.I also started messing with the fender flares and they are turning out to be just as much work as the lift kit, with tiny bolts and nuts behind the body that would not unbolt so other means will have to be found for removal. I think overall it is going well except for a few stubborn bolts here and there. New wheels and tires should be in this week as i realized the stock stuff looks ridiculous. I went with the new Dick Cepeck Extreme Country in 33x12.5r15, and will review them over time.
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

I've always liked the stock wheels for a 4 cyl.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
post #8 of 12 Old 05-05-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So the lift is complete after a long battle with the front cam alignment bolts and realizing all they had up front was a regular washer and not a "cam" washer. So a new cam adjustment bolt kit was installed along with replacing the original corroded shock bolts with stainless steel. Also had to change my tire selection as the Dick Cepecks were on a back order. Went with the McyThompson Baja MTZ P3 in the same size. I understand the tire is a little big for the jeep being a 2.5 but a regear and locker ( maybe even 45s) are down the road and i need 33s to run many of the trails and jeep jaborees here in the north east. I also never take the jeep over 45 mph, I can get everywhere i need to go on back roads.
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 Old 05-05-2016, 04:26 PM
John82601
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great start on your build. I'm also running a 2.5 and I ran the stock 4.11 gears for a few years before regearing my axles. I never got to use 5th gear but otherwise it wasn't bad at all.

1995 YJ, 4cyl, auto, 4.88's
4" Susp, 1" BL TJ Flares
35" Cepeks on 15x10 Ultras
post #10 of 12 Old 05-11-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got the wheels and tires on yesterday, i have an alignment set up for tomorrow. Now i need some kind of spacer or bracket for the rear tire mount. On the short term to do list is a rear tire bracket, rocker guards , front bumper and winch, hi- lift jack, and a rear hitch receiver. Looking at the metal cloak rockers and front bumper with a warn vr8000 winch. Then maybe a rear auto locker or just save up for new axle assemblies with ARB lockers and 4.88 gearing.I am not planning on taking it to the trails till next year so I do have some time to figure out my axles.
Attached Images

post #11 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Had a beautiful day to Cruise yesterday, found out I need to udjust the transfer case witch was in the manual for rough country. The new suspension is worlds better then the stock one I replaced it with as far a ride quality.I also found a new use for the spiderweb shade, if I take out the side windows I can put them between the shade and the top over my head, it's a nice extra. I really love the shade in the hot sun it really cuts down on the heat at stop lights and keeps us from getting home sunburnt after a long ride.
John82601 likes this.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-23-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
ctjeeper91
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Found a Tuffy security box on craigslist and picked it up, I installed it this weekend snapped the bolts for the seat bracket off during the install but i will deal with that another day. The box is very secure and i think it is a great addition to the jeep and i can now park it with valuables in it without worrying. I also had the muffler rot out and snap off where it connects to the cat so now i have to find a good cat back system to install.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.