Bagged and body dropped 83 wagoneer build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Bagged and body dropped 83 wagoneer build

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Bagged and body dropped 83 wagoneer build

Ok so I posted a pic thread the other day to feel you guys out on this forum to see if people were even interested in seeing this jeep get built sense it's a nontraditional jeep build ( pic thread here)-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/l...-look-1849170/

Ok so a little back story back in August I went to kill devil hills NC to pick up this 86 wagoneer , when I get there it's in a lot worse shape than it was described and pix had shown well anyway I had already driven 4 hours and the price was low enough I got it anyway for a parts truck .

So here are some pix of it when I got it home , the truck pulling it is my 2011 v8 solid axle swaped Colorado and my trailer is a 18' pj trailer buggy hauler incase anyone is wondering . After digging around and poking it I found the roof is really the only thing with bad rust on it

The bad

This will be coming out for a gm good wrench crate 350 that I have

The rewood job someone did was just pealing right off so I quickly removed it this morning

Some wheels I got that I might use

So a few days later I found a junk yard near by that had a wag with a good roof and rear window and was planing to go that Friday to pick it up , they wanted $350 for both , that Wednesday I was looking on Craigslist and found a "85" wagoneer for $450 obo so I called the guy and Thursday afternoon I was off to the mountains of va to go get it

I get there with my trailer , the wag does not run , his house is on the other side of a washed out creek that my trailer will never make it across and there is almost no room to turn the trailer around , so I managed to turn the traile around in this very small flat area at the side of the creek , unhooked the trailer , drug the wag down to the trailer and winched it up and as we are winching a helicopter keeps making big circles around the area we are in and slowly starts making smaller and smaller circles until they stop about 25-50' above the trees and hover over the small clearing we are in and one of the pasangers leans out the side and starts taking pictures of us and the area ( not to sure what all that was about )

So anyway here is how it looked at dudes house

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

so only 2 rust spots found on it so far and there in the rockers so that's an easy fix andthe passenger side window motors need replaced

Here are the pix from when I got it home

So I washed the mud out from under the truck , washed it and tried some cleaner wax on a few spots and it actual shines up nice , ill do the whole thing later before I get it on the road and I looked all over the truck searching for rust and the only place that has rust is the two spots in the rockers so that will be an easy fix and the only dent is in the front fender lip , looks like the tire cought the edge at some point

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

So now I'm going to skip some stuff as I did more cleaning on it and I bought a set of black 22" wheels from my buddy cheap but quickly decided not to use them and traded for some chrome 22s and then traded them for two good 700r4 transmissions

So here is a pic of one sitting in the grass in front of the stock tire

Here's some pix of the Gm Goodwrench crate 350 that ill be swapping in , this motor is in a parts truck I have 84 chevy k10

Got an s10 front frame and two piece drive shaft from my buddy that was scraping a project he was working on

I then ordered every new part to completely rebuild the front end and new drop spindles and drilled and slotted rotors

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok some of this is just copy paste from another forum so some of it might not make sense and ill try to edit that out

Ok so I'm thinking I'm going to ditch the wood grain now and get some stainless trim from a 70s model wagoneer and I have a full phantom billet grill insert comming for an 81-87 chevy c10 that I'm going to cut up to make my 85 wagoneer grill shell a phantom like in the drawling I just did below

I also have a 66-78 razor grill swap comming and I'm trying to find some 70-73 front fender wrap around marker lights . Ill post pix below of the grill and lights on other people's wags so you get the idea .

Here is the exact grill that should be delivered today

What one looks like installed

Marker lights I'm trying to find ( might have a lead on some ) they are very hard to find

And I'm thinking about seriously doing a two tone like this but diffrent colors , like roof, stripe and wheels all the same color and then do the body another color just not sure what now

I'm thinking that I really like the dark green that the wag is now as it has a nice gold pearl in it but I have always wanted so thing with a flaked roof but the only color I can think of that looks good with the dark green is white so maybe what ill do is go back with the stock green but add a ton more gold pearl and than maybe (not sure yet ) do either a cream white roof, stripe and rims with a diamond/crystal medium flake , or do a bright white with the same flake and mix in a green pearl .

What's do you guys think ?

Ok back to the topic of my wagoneer , got some more parts for it . Got two grills and some rare marker lights

As you can see the garage is a wreck right now so to help make room and get the garage organized I built this shed , still needs paint but will hold all the extra crap from the house and garage and I can keep the lawn mower in there instead of the garage

Also traded the 22s for not one but 2 used 700r4 trans one is a gm reman that is used and came out of a friends suburban that worked fine in that he took it out for an ls-4l80e swap the other came out of his parts truck and not sure how good it is but worst case it's a good core for a later rebuild if needed

So now that the shed is built ill be cleaning the garage this weekend and working to get the wagoneer in the garage to start taking it apart to start the bag, bodydrop ,& drive train swap

Haha ! No but I did get the new to me body side trim today

And this billet grill is going to need a lot of work to make fit in the 85 grill shell but here it is just leaning on the grill

And I got the shed half painted , still needs a second coat of solid stain and then paint the trim and doors but I should get that done tomorrow , once that's done ill start bringing stuff over from the garage to make room for the wagoneer to go in the garage finally

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not the typical build , but should be cool anyway. After I finish my YJ I will be starting my own non traditional build on my 47 Willys.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok finally some pix of some work actually getting done

Laying frame , still needs 2-3/4" stock floor body drop , the bigger rusty rim and tire is 30" tall the wheels I'm going to do are 20s with 27.7" tall tire and the small white wall is like 25.5" tall for reference

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

When I'm more awake tomorrow ill try and edit this some so it looks better or makes more sense
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
GuyPatterson

I'll admit i questioned your vision when I saw the drawing; but after seeing of the actual body drop, I'm a believer.
GuyPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sub'd

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
jorhay
1997 ZJ 

I like it
jorhay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Took the body off the frame today , that used up most of my time as only two bolts actually unthreaded the rest just spun in the cages that the square captive nuts were in because they suck lol

I also started figuring out how big the notch needs to be and how much room I actually have for it

I also took some half *** measurements for a fuel cell just to see what kind of room I have and if and how much I needed to rais the floor behind the notch to make the gas tank bigger

So my ruff measurements put me at raising the floor 8" to the top of the notch cover and doing that will give me a tank that is about 24"x32"x13"
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
ownTer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Amazing stuff. At first i didnt think i would be on board with this idea. But i love it!!! Cant wait for more updates.
ownTer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok so I just did the math on that tank size and I will be making it much smaller those measurements make it 43.22 gallons so I'm thinking ill reduce it down to an 18-20 gallon size
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks , I have been very surprised that so many jeepers are liking it , I know there are plenty of people who likely hate what I'm doing to it
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. I wish I had your talent. Keep up the cool work!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.