Axles Available Now!!! Need help determining if they will be appropriate for build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Axles Available Now!!! Need help determining if they will be appropriate for build.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
mspropst

Axles Available Now!!! Need help determining if they will be appropriate for build.

So I've been offered a few axles by someone locally. I've got a 95 Jeep I'll be doing a total rebuild on and dropping a 308 bhp, 479 lft-lb engine in it (diesel).

What I need to know is if any of these axles would hold up to that sort of power (+/- upgrades)....
  1. GM 10 bolt front, welded with 5.38 gears, heavy duty tie rod with hydro assist tabs, flattop knuckles both milled and drilled, no calipers and missing the hub/rotor from one side : $125
  2. Driverside drop waggy 6 lug 44 NON FLATTOP knuckled, missing the longside shafts and no calipers , stock gears $100
  3. Centered drop rear waggy 44, partially disassembled, no brakes $100
  4. Offset 44 rear with tubes that are trashed, and 1 broken shaft no brakes but it has 5.38's and a spool in it as well as heavy duty diff cover $100

OR $300 for it all.

I was looking at either Dana 44 or 8.8 or 9 swap hoping to not have to cut the axles. Any of these good candidates?

mspropst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
mspropst

I'd be running 35s/37s. Not sure exactly what diff setup I'd be going just yet.
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
mspropst

Also since I'm looking at 35s/37s, I wasn't sure that the non-flattop was an issue since I'm not going crazy high lift wise. Just wasn't sure which of the rear options I should go with, if any?
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am no expert, but with almost 500lb/ft of torque and 37's I would say no. I am thinking you need something more like D60's or 14 bolt.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I am no expert, but with almost 500lb/ft of torque and 37's I would say no. I am thinking you need something more like D60's or 14 bolt.
I agree. At least go to a beefier rear axle. You can buy 14 bolts for less than $200. D60 fronts are another story, though.
The engine in my project made 370 hp and 408 lb. ft. of torque on the engine dyno, so I ditched my D44 rear axle and replaced it with a 14 bolt. Since I sunk a bunch of coin into a Waggy 44 front axle, I'm stuck with it for a while, but someday I'll replace it with a D60.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.