Another YJ Build......GenRight Style - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Another YJ Build......GenRight Style

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #46
caddyman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeepGuy View Post
Questions: What shift kit is in your 3speed? How much did it cost? Do you like it or would you just swap it out for a aw4 or ax15 if you were to do it again?

Also what brand SOA springs are those and how much lift do they provide over stock leafs SOA?

Just curious. Thanks
The three speed transmission was set up that way before I bought it. To be honest I not sure what I would rather have, auto or manual? This is my first Jeep and I almost didn't by it because of the auto transmission but it was a really good deal and I was looking for something cheap because I was going to modify it anyway. My next major project will be to put a LS1,2 or 3 in and I will need to change the transmission. I have friends that run NV4500 and other that run 4l60 or 4l80's. I will just cross that bridge when I get to it.

The SOA kit was also on the Jeep when I got it but the springs are Rubicon Express 1.5", I would say the over all lift is 6-7", I cleared 37" with no problem.

Hope this answered your question, let me know if you have any others. I have taken a lot of detailed pictures along this build, I've only posted a fraction of what I have taken.

The picture I posted is a before picutre with the SOA sitting on 37" Krawlers

yj-jeep-build-part-1-007.jpg  
caddyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #47
ThatJeepGuy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea that answered my questions pretty well. I wad curious to see if the shift kit have you any dramatic improvements over stock. Thanks again. Keep them pictures coming!
93YJ / 4'' lift / 33'' mtzs / aussie locker in hpd30 / pos d35 in rear(for now) / xrc rock sliders & rear xrc tube fenders tj style/ AJ's offroad rear bumper and tire carrier / LP10000 Superwinch / SQUARE HEADLIGHTS

No farms no food

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-tube-fender-write-up-1325289/[/url]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/thatjeepguys-pennsylvania-jeep-build-1365784/[/url]
ThatJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
caddyman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeepGuy View Post
Yea that answered my questions pretty well. I wad curious to see if the shift kit have you any dramatic improvements over stock. Thanks again. Keep them pictures coming!
Sorry, not sure what type of shift kit it has but it has a good/harsh jerk when it shifts.

The only thing I really don't like about the transmission is that there is no over drive and with 4.88 I'm max'ed out at 50-55mph.
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #49
ThatJeepGuy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyman

Sorry, not sure what type of shift kit it has but it has a good/harsh jerk when it shifts.

The only thing I really don't like about the transmission is that there is no over drive and with 4.88 I'm max'ed out at 50-55mph.
I think that has more to do with 37"s than the gears. I'll be shutting up now
93YJ / 4'' lift / 33'' mtzs / aussie locker in hpd30 / pos d35 in rear(for now) / xrc rock sliders & rear xrc tube fenders tj style/ AJ's offroad rear bumper and tire carrier / LP10000 Superwinch / SQUARE HEADLIGHTS

No farms no food

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-tube-fender-write-up-1325289/[/url]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/thatjeepguys-pennsylvania-jeep-build-1365784/[/url]
ThatJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #50
caddyman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I installed the front link brackets, made the links, tie rod, drag link, and trac bar, then mounted everything for mock up.
jeep-build-part-11-031.jpg   jeep-build-part-11-039.jpg   jeep-build-part-11-041.jpg   jeep-build-part-11-045.jpg   jeep-build-part-11-042.jpg  

jeep-build-part-11-048.jpg   jeep-build-part-11-050.jpg   jeep-build-part-11-054.jpg   jeep-build-part-11-055.jpg  
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #51
Adrian Hallows
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Caddy, Looking good mate. Anymore updates? You have some great photos there
Adrian Hallows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #52
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So on the rear were you able to get the full 5" stretch with the ext tank? I got just under 4 with cycling suspension on mine just curious I have an 8.8 and wasn't sure if that was the cause. I wanted to go the route you are going but it was a bit to much for me but it looks great! The gen right stuff is top quality.
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #53
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Amazing build!

Jealousy, I have it
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #54
caddyman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Hallows View Post
Hey Caddy, Looking good mate. Anymore updates? You have some great photos there
Thanks,

The "mate" through me off, I had to do a double take that you are in Australia!

I love the internet and JF.com, how else could someone from Australia be checking out my Jeep build.

That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb577 View Post
So on the rear were you able to get the full 5" stretch with the ext tank? I got just under 4 with cycling suspension on mine just curious I have an 8.8 and wasn't sure if that was the cause. I wanted to go the route you are going but it was a bit to much for me but it looks great! The gen right stuff is top quality.
Thank you,

I didn't use the EXT tank, I used the COMP tank. I was able to stretch it 6" but have room to spare with the D44. Someday I might go with a D60 and should have room without doing anything to the links.

[url]www.InlandJeepFreeks.com[/url]

My Build:

[url]www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/another-yj-build-genright-style-1326607/[/url]
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #55
caddyman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I ran into a little clearance issue with the frame and drag link. I just notched the frame a little and now the issue is gone.

Shock hoops and cross over bar are tacked into place and just checking the final fitment and cycling the suspension.

Next I will be working on the bump stop can's and finishing the belly/engine skid plate.

To Be Continued.........
jeep-build-part-13-006.jpg   jeep-build-part-13-007.jpg   jeep-build-part-13-005.jpg   jeep-build-part-13-002.jpg   jeep-build-part-13-024.jpg  

jeep-build-part-14-007.jpg  

My Build:

Unread 05-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #56
Kamikaze
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome build. Your skill is amazing. I really envy you jeep. Keep it up.
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #57
Tamatacan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah this is one awesome build.
Tamatacan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #58
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

make sure to turn your steering from lock to lock at full bump. your cut-out looks a bit tight.

do you get any binding between the draglink and tie-rod at bump with the drag mounted behind the tierod on the steering arm?

looks like the axle-trackbar mount might offend as well when the passenger side is high and the driver side is at full droop. i had to lower mine significantly as well as shave an inch off the bottom of the framerails.

continuous tacks are fine on the frame with such thin material but not needed on the axle tubing and links. there's enough meat to take the heat.

how much lower then the bottom of the framerail does the rear linkmount crossmember on the frame-end hang?

looking good. wish my frame was as clean.
Unread 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #59
c_coops
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
continuous tacks are fine on the frame with such thin material but not needed on the axle tubing and links. there's enough meat to take the heat.
Would continuous tacks be as strong as a normal weld pool? I've never considered doing this but it definitely looks good.
c_coops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #60
caddyman
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_coops View Post
Would continuous tacks be as strong as a normal weld pool? I've never considered doing this but it definitely looks good.
It has to do with speed also, I have a continuous pool as I'm welding. Personally I've never had one of my welding break, pull a part or crack?

I'm not a professional welder but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

My Build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.