Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Another YJ Build......GenRight Style

120K views 355 replies 81 participants last post by  caddyman 
#1 ·
This is my story and I'm sticking too it. :D

Here are a few picture when I got started.

Attachments

See less See more
#94 ·
the inner fender will work. they are made up of two pieces that can be easily separated. i did this on mine. i think i remember having to add a bit of sheet in one section where the inner didnt meet the fender but not a big deal. looks great.

#95 ·
Still working on the front fenders, mostly the inner fender. Once I cut the OEM inner fender down to fit there's not a lot left. :laugh:

Here's a few pictures.

I'm not finished with the fender yet, but it's been a long day and I'm tired!

Attachments

#102 ·
Here's a few updated pictures of the build.

I made a bracket for my Viair compressor and Viair 1 gallon tank that was under my battery tray is now mounted to the left inner fender between the fender and the brake booster.

Made new P/S return hoses, brake lines off the master cylinder and made a bracket for my new coolant overflow tank. It only came in chrome :(

Installed the side tub guards from GenRight, along with mini boat rock sliders (rockers) and finishing the rear corners.

The GenRight mini-boat rock sliders are made for a TJ but little bit of work to make them fit to a YJ.

Anybody still watching???? :cheers2:

Attachments

#106 ·
I made a bracket for my Viair compressor and Viair 1 gallon tank that was under my battery tray is now mounted to the left inner fender between the fender and the brake booster.

Made new P/S return hoses, brake lines off the master cylinder and made a bracket for my new coolant overflow tank. It only came in chrome :(
Pretty ingenious idea there with the compressor bracket coming off the tower hoop. I like that.

Who makes that overflow tank? I'm running into space issues myself with no inner fenders and that looks to be the perfect size.

#105 ·
Back a couple of pages, you showed your steering setup. I saw the Genrite twisted pitman arm and the heim joints, was curious about the knuckle. What setup is that? I have to do something there and am considering the MORE bolt on setup as I can't use the Teraflex high steer knuckle. Thanks for any info you can share. Nice build thread!

#107 ·
The steering knuckle is a Reid Racing, Chevy style without the molded tie rod arm on the knuckle, the flat top arms are from Artec Industries, the little drag link mount on the right steering arm is from GenRight. I bought the Reid knuckles used from a guy on pirate4x4.com, everything else was new.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. :cheers2:

#110 ·
Oh, I had to make the bracket on the back side of the compressor that attaches to the A/C compressor mount and the two tabs that I welded to the back side of the shock hoop. It's kinda hard to see in the picture but it supports the other side of the air compressor.

Attachments

#111 ·
Here is a few updated pictures.

I had to remake my "C" pillar roll cage frame tie in on the drivers side because of the fuel filler hoses were in the way with the GenRight fuel tank.

I just cut off the original tabs, made one new tab and connected the other side to the rear shock hoop, turned out pretty good even it I say so myself :)

I bought a new GenRight stubby bumper but I wanted to make my own grill/winch guards. So I started bending tubing and this is what I came up with.

I welded a 1/2" flat strap to the inner edge os the hood that I cut off to stiff the edge up a little and make the edge not so sharp, then grinding it smooth.

I installed a new Poison Spyder drop down tail gate, but really don't like the tramp stamp. One real complaint I have with Poison Spyder is there logo on everything they make, makes me feel branded!

I just dropped a load off to the powder coater.

Next update should be assembly :pickle:

Attachments

#114 ·
that bumper is comming out great! and i definitely agree about poison spyder's logo, it keeps me far far away from their products

#115 ·
In this case I was able to easily make my own lower section (tramp stamp)out of aluminum plate and lose their logo.

I have a few friends that have a lot of Poison Spyder products on their Jeep's and it starts to be too many Spyder logo's on the Jeep. Most of the stuff I got was from GenRight, for the most part you wouldn't know just by looking at it.

Now if the PS stuff was really cheap or free, then I would have a different opinion about having it all over my Jeep, but of course it's not so I don't!

Just my .02 :cheers2:

Attachments

#122 ·
She's back on all four tires :2thumbsup:

I finished all the painting of the suspension parts and installed everything today.

All the body armor is getting powder coated right now, but I still have a lot to do while I'm waiting, but it's nice to see her sitting back on all four tires!

Attachments

#125 ·
Back from the powder coating.......

Both front fenders, left side armor and tailgate are assembled. I painted the front fenders myself with a rattle can, can't say I love the paint job but oh well!

I also installed the left rear "C" pillar frame tie in for the roll cage after having to modify the original one due to the GenRight fuel tank filler location.

Attachments

#127 ·
Thats quite the bad a$$ build there! Very nice work and nice to see somene taking on a big job like this themselves. I just got a quote from Genright myself, for just the 3 link front, HPD60 and all the goodies needed for the swap. I'm waiting on the rear 4 link till after I do an LS3 so the built 8.8 in there now will have to hold up. My pockets only go so deep at one time :).

I was looking to see where Temecula was to see how far you were from me, and well, your pretty far at 450 miles :(...

#128 ·
Thats quite the bad a$$ build there! Very nice work and nice to see somene taking on a big job like this themselves. I just got a quote from Genright myself, for just the 3 link front, HPD60 and all the goodies needed for the swap. I'm waiting on the rear 4 link till after I do an LS3 so the built 8.8 in there now will have to hold up. My pockets only go so deep at one time :).

I was looking to see where Temecula was to see how far you were from me, and well, your pretty far at 450 miles :(...
Thank You

My pockets only run so deep too and that's why I'm going to run my built D44 for the time being. Down the road, my next project for this Jeep will be LS engine (smog legal), trans??? (not sure what yet) Rock Jock's and 40-42" tires.

I bought this Jeep from a someone off CL in Grass Valley a little north of you about 2 1/2 years ago. I pulled my flat bed up there and brought the Jeep back. It was one heck of a drive! :laugh:

#131 ·
3x :laugh:

this project was the biggest that I have ever done on a vehicle and I must say I glad I'm at the end.

My wife and kids will be happy also, there tired of hearing me say I can't go I have to work on the Jeep! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.