Another TJ-6 Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Another TJ-6 Build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #76
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Surfer View Post
Oh man, I need to post a picture for you. I placed my Bestop LJ frame on the Jeep and what do you know? The frame folds back and barely clears the rollbars! I was afraid of this too when I saw it on your build. Maybe the Besttop frame has more play than the factory softop frame?
That's good to hear. I bent my own tube for the rear roll bar section so the bend wasn't the same as a factory TJ. Someone pointed out that it probably wouldn't work and when I looked at it I could clearly see what they were talking about.

Build is looking great! Almost there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #77
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Clint! You miss your TJ-6 sometimes?
Sahara Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #78
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I do. I sold it mainly because I started with the wrong Jeep. It was a beat up 97. It was never going to be as nice inside as I wanted it to be. I know that's a wierd reason to sell something with that much work and money in it, but it really bugged me and I knew I would never really be happy with it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #79
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was able to take advantage of the long Memorial Day weekend to get a lot done...

The support frame for the floor extension (made from channel and L1.5x1.5x1/8" angle):

Installed... Note the welded nuts for the relocated rear seat brackets!

Once I got the tub squared with adjustable scissor jacks at four corners and measured 100 times, I welded on some rail extension supports to hold everything in place.

Unread 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #80
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Time for sheet metal work!! After seeing another Jeeper's TJ-6 build, I could not in good conscience leave the floor completely flat as I originally intended to. So, I kicked some ideas around and decided to make use of the available space for some storage compartments that will continue off from the wheel wells. It will take a lot more work, but... what the heck! It is going to be so sweet!

First, I made my templates out of posterboard material. Then, working with 18 gauge sheet metal and using a homemade press brake, various cutting tools, and a heck of a lot of hammering, I made this support bulkhead. I started out painting everything with weld though primer, later I just stopped doing this because of the time it took to get the stuff to dry and for some reason, I could not get good spot welds that held together.

Welded it in place with one half of the floor panel...

Unread 05-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #81
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Then came the actual compartments... with some posterboard mock up work first...

Spot welded it in place...

I was running short of time and the air was feeling kind of damp. I knew it would be a while before I picked this up again so I painted the interior with primer for rust protection:

Just for kicks, I decided to test fit the side panel:

I need to finish this already!!
Unread 05-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #82
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking great, great work on the extra spaces.
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #83
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!
Unread 06-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #84
Barrows
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love this build, someday I will take the knife to mine.....
Barrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #85
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrows View Post
I love this build, someday I will take the knife to mine.....
The hardest cut is the first one!
Unread 06-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #86
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Had some time to work on the TJ-6 this weekend...

I bent some more sheet metal for the driver side storage compartment:

And then installed it...

Now the floor panels are starting to look like something. I still need to grind down all of those spot welds.

I made a few fitting adjustments to the passenger side panel, drilled a couple of holes for the AEV flare connections and proceeded to weld it in place. This will be a slow, careful process; we don't want excessive heat to burn through the sheet metal or warp it.

Unread 06-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #87
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Finished welding in the passenger side panel, cleaned it up, and slapped on a coat of primer to combat rust from the Houston humidity (It really takes a few hours for bare metal to start turning).

I am getting closer, but there is still a lot left. I have to have it painted by the end of July!
Unread 06-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #88
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

looking good!

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #89
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
looking good!
Thanks, Rusty! Nice avatar btw.
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #90
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am now under the gun to finish this project in three weeks. I am selling my daily driver and will need the Jeep to drive around until the new daily driver arrives. Needless to say, the pressure is on to avoid being stuck with a rental in the interim.

Continuing with the interior of the side panels... I fabricated the tops of the storage compartments. In order to attach the lid hinges, I needed to weld some nuts on the insides.

I knew that creating the belt rail supports at the top of the tub gaps would be a challange. Ideally, I would have liked to have found some donor sections from a wrecked TJ tub. However, this proved to be a difficult errand. It was tough finding two unblemished 15" sections and the few that I did find, the sellers wanted me to buy the whole tub. Trying to fabricate some of my own would only result in some ugly bends (I am not that skilled).

In my search, I came across this weld-on TJ repair panel from NOR/AM that just happened to have the sloped bends that I was looking for. The sheet metal was thin (21 gauge) and felt flimsy, but in short sections, it was stiff enough to work. Best of all, it was only $60.

Look how perfectly the bends match the factory tub!

Passenger side welded:

After grinding everything flat, it was important to hit the top of the tub edges with some weld through primer. Once the belt rails are in place, any exposed metal in the interior gaps would be exposed to rust.

I bought a new LJ rail on the driver's side which I had no problem welding on.

For the passenger side, I fabricated one extended belt rail from the removed pieces.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.