Another TJ-6 Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Another TJ-6 Build

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #46
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I painted the frame with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Saver Primer and Satin Black topcoat. Note the blue masking tape area. I still need to weld in the body mounts at these spots. I decided to hold off on these until I decide whether to install them at a raised 1.25” position or my original 1” body lift height. This will all depend on the upcoming tummy tucker cross-member fabrication.

Here is the frame, finally off the jack stands and supporting its own weight…

Sahara Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #47
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Time to see how far off the frame alignment is... As far as lengths, we really got it dead on. However, height dimensioning did reveal a careless mistake on our part.

First I took a level across the frame, right behind the rear splice seams of the frame extensions. As you can see, it is pretty level. I then laid the level over the rear body mounts. The bubble skews slightly to the left… just as I feared.

I used the same jack stand as a reference to check alignment of both sides. Here is how the front of the frame compares on the driver’s vs. passenger sides; as expected, no change.

In the following split image, I have the jack by the rear lower control arm mount, note there is hardly any delta between passenger and driver side.

Here is where the problem lies…At the rear bumper corner attachments (By the rear body mounts) there is a 1/2 inch difference passenger and driver side.

I don’t know if the driver’s side is ½” higher or if the passenger side is ½” lower than it should be. I will have to check with an inclinometer and the FSM frame diagrams.

It was really starting to get late when we put the frame back together and we probably rushed this more than we should have. You live you learn, I guess. At this point, I am not sure if it is worth worrying about or if I will need to take it to a shop that has access to a frame straightening machine to correct our goof. The plan right now is to skip the shock outboarding for now, and move on with getting it drivable as is. Sometime before the tub body work begins, I am going to have to address this.
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #48
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have been out for a while, so I am overdue for some updates.

While I was waiting on parts for my upgraded suspension/drivetrain set up, I took the opportunity to mock up the floor sheet metal section out of cardboard. It will be a single 15” long piece spanning the width of the tub.

Using the cardboard mockup as a template, I proceeded to cut out the floor section from 18 gauge sheet metal. Note that I added some fold tabs to be spot welded during assembly later on.

I have had it in storage for so long that some surface rust has set in. I spent a good amount of time cleaning that out with a rust treatment agent.

Once the part had been sufficiently cleaned, I took it outside and sprayed it with some self etching primer to protect it from any more rusting.

Unread 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #49
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

At this point, the parts I needed to proceed had arrived:
- Savvy aluminum rear upper and lower control arms
- Savvy low profile underarmor aluminum skid plate
- JB SYE kit
- AEV low profile transmission mount kit

I have also installed a 2.5” Old Man Emu coil springs and shock absorbers to the front wheels. I have not done the rear axle as I first want to get my SYE/CV drive shaft combo in while in the tummy tucked location, then I can finally dial in the rear pinion angle with the rear adjustable upper control arms.

I am fabricating my own custom transmission crossmember from some 3/16" thick, 2" x 3" rectangular tube. It will mate up to the Savvy aluminum skid plate allowing for easy maintenance access when the skid plate is removed. Motor vibration will be taken out by the AEV isolator pads tied to the crossmember. I have a basic idea for how all this will work but I need to move things around so that I can produce a proper cardboard mockup.

I chose not to go with the Savvy crossmember as I wanted to weld the bolt tabs to the interior faces of my frame. Also, I think can come up with something that will fit my particular setup better than the Savvy design. The design of the Savvy aluminum skid plate on the other hand is just perfect and I would be hard pressed to try and fab something like that on my own. Hats off to them!

Among the space saving modifications I am making is the replacement of the original, rusty factory cat. You can see it next to the aftermarket replacement on the following picture. Note the lower profile of the aftermarket cat. Every little bit of space is going to count.

Unread 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #50
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is that the new Savvy modular armor ? It looks much different than what I got from them . The arms look great , being able to dial in the pinion makes them worth every penny .
Unread 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #51
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Is that the new Savvy modular armor ? It looks much different than what I got from them . The arms look great , being able to dial in the pinion makes them worth every penny .
Yup, that is the skid plate only option they are offering. Good stuff!
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #52
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am overdue for updates, so here we go…

In the interim, I have fabricated a custom crossmember to go with the Savvy aluminum skid.

With the skid on...

If you are interested, a complete build and design description of the crossmember can be found here (Yes, I know I botched the thread title):

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...-skid-1566779/
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #53
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am chomping at the bit to get back to the actual TJ-6 body stretch, but several things must happen before then...

... Such as axle work! While I was busy with the crossmember, a long awaited component finally arrived. G2 really knows how to put together a Dana44:

I will be outboarding the shocks and shifting back the upper spring perches/buckets. I used a grinder and a dremel with a cut wheel to remove them from the rear frame arches.

Whacked off upper coil buckets. Need some serious cleaning...

Unread 09-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #54
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your making some good progress ! The crossmember looks good ,though I would suggest countersinking the six outside bolts . How bad were the coil brackets to cut off ?
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #55
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Your making some good progress ! The crossmember looks good ,though I would suggest countersinking the six outside bolts . How bad were the coil brackets to cut off ?
Probably pretty easy with no tub in the way! Haha. Nice work man. I was looking at your minor frame issue.... and was thinking that upon tightening up the body mounts and having weight on the frame things will probably straighten up.
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #56
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Thanks, Beasley! I may yet still countersink those holes. I actually have the 1/2" countersunk head bolts from the AEV hardware kit.

The coil buckets were a bit of a pain; I went through a lot of dremel cut off wheels to cut out the welds behind the tab edges. I also used an old dull wood chisel to help separate the buckets from the frame. It really is so much easier to get them out while the rear tub section and the fuel tank are removed. Hats off to the guys that did this mod with all that cra-p in the way. Master contortionists!
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #57
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Probably pretty easy with no tub in the way! Haha. Nice work man. I was looking at your minor frame issue.... and was thinking that upon tightening up the body mounts and having weight on the frame things will probably straighten up.
Thank you!

After talking to a lot of people about it, the 1/2" deflection is not going to be that big of a deal. After taking same angle measurements, it looks like the rear frame is twisted around 1/4" down on rear passenger side and 1/4" up on the driver's side. I think you are right, it may very well straighten out when the body mounts are tightened up. If not, the required shims will be minimal and not even visible. I hope.
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #58
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

More progress!

Upper coil perches relocated! Bump stops really line up better.

I also took some time to reverse the rear calipers to make more room for the outboarded lower shock mounts.
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #59
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

And now comes a little work with Admiral Trackbar (It's a track! ...bar)

I wanted an adjustable rear track bar with an angled relocation bracket for the different pinion angle of my SYE equipped axle. I also wanted a johnny joint at the axle end of the track bar. However, I did not want to pay +$300 for a Currie setup, which woul have been my next choice. I chose to modify my existing rear track bar as follows:

Welded two halves of a 1/8" thick tube as a sleeve on the factory track bar. I also welded the halves longitudinally along the edges, not just the ends. Ground everything smooth...

Welded 1/4" thick tube sleeve over the new 1/8" material so that a 1 1/4" diameter welded bung would fit in the bigger tube as shown below. Note the setup was sized for a johhny joint.

Finished product next to the original. Painting is next.

Johnny joint = $50
Welded bung = $35
Misc steel tubing = $30

Total comes out to $115. Saved myself around $200. Yay me.
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #60
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I fabricated my trackbar mount from scrap 2 x 3 x 3/16" tube I had from my crossmember build...

Here is the bracket welded in place with the track bar attached, ready for clearance testing.

At full bump, the top of the track barely touches the frame crossmember. It should be noted that I have 4" of bumpstops for my rear coils.

If I had an acetalyne torch, I would have heated the rod so I could have bended it a little and thus to improve clearance (Like Unlimited04 did on his setup... incidentally, I got the idea from him). This will be ok for now, I suppose.

Check out the reversed brake calipers courtesy of Mr. Blaine's kit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.