Thank you for all the support and encouragement. It's great to share my enthusiasm for this project with you guys.
I took advantage of the long labor day weekend to squeeze some fabrication time in the garage and this is what I have...
Here are my full penetration welds at the splice joints. Just like the AEV Brute frame extension, I made two passes all the way around for all joints.
In preparation for the fish plates, I ground down the welds flat.
These are the fish plates I used on the exterior faces; they reinforce the seam joint connections.
Welding these was no sweat!
The interior plates are designed to overlap the entire length of the extensions (Again, like AEV Brute method). I originally cut these too long and on one end, they clashed with the control arm mounts. I made the proper adjustments and stitch welded them on.
Welding the interior fish plates, especially under the cab, was challenging to say the least. It is tight and hard to see with a welding face shield. I am not going to lie, the passenger side welds are ugly. I will try to clean them up a bit with a grinder before I paint the frame.
Iíd like to think, the welds on the driverís side interior fish plate came out nicer. Lighting made all the difference. Also, I think I am getting better at welding while lying down.