AND Another LJ Rubicon Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > AND Another LJ Rubicon Thread

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Maybe next year
I will get out there this year just not that soon.

On another note. After this last trip to Chinaman Gulch I had to do something about the Jeeps steering. The Jeep wanted to wander all over the road, follow the cracks, swerve in the ruts, etc. So I decided to take the front tires off and check a few things. Ball joints seem tight. Unit bearings have no play in them at all. The steering is all fairly new Currie and tight. Then I decided to check the toe-in and toe-out. The toe was set to almost dead straight and in fact appeared to be almost 1/16'' out. I believe this is what is causing the Jeep to wander. So I set the front end to 1/8'' toe in.

Hopefully this fixes my problem. I'll report back.

Anyone have any experience with Johnny Joint suspensions causing vibrations felt in the cab?

Unread 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Borrowed some rollers from a guy off of a local forum...

Unread 05-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #18
RFR2212
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bought a nice LJ, if you didn't pay a fortune. That said, some photos look like they're flexing the 35's pretty close to the fenders. Concerned about that w/ 37s? Adjusting bumpstops? Or new suspension to take care of that, or is there enough room to clear the 37's?

I bought my LJ Rubi 2mo ago with 3in of lift, 1.25 b/l and am tossing the 35/37 issue around (33's now.) I was planning on metalcloaks up front but not so sure on the rear. If you have any better clearance photos that'd be great.

Thanks
Peter
RFR2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bought the Jeep well below the average price of a stock LJ.

37's are going to need some trimming to fit. The 35's fit perfect as it is. The 37's (still don't know which tire yet...between a Toyo, Kevlar and KM2).

The front part of the rear corners will need some trimming. To address the front I will install either some GenRight Highlines (aluminum) or if Poison Spyder will ever make a DeFender XC in aluminum I'll do that.
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Banged out these today.

The Savvy LED's are nice but these are a pain in the a$$ to install. Directions poorly describe the install and I can't get the LED lenses to sit flush in the housings. There's just too much wiring in the back and the ground lug is too tall which makes contact to the LED lens. Also, I installed the required LED flasher and everything works as it should.

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ever considered color matching your corner armor? I think it would look sweet.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I do believe that I'll get the armor powdered to match some day. Might keep the bumpers just brushed finish. Might powder them black. Don't really know yet. It's not high on my list of things to do.
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

How difficult was the flasher install? Simply just pop the steering wheel cover and plug it in?
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's not hard at all. There are 2 screws under the steering column that come out and then it just pops apart. Pulled the old flasher...put in the new flasher.

Works great. No more fast flashing and the LED's look awesome!
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hit Spring Creek Trail yesterday. Jeep did great. It's insanely stable and climbs like a mountain goat. Only thing I've bought since then is an Exogate Tire Carrier and a Poly Performance 15lbs CO2 tank.

This winter will be all new mods and such. RCV's, 513's, 37's and Slabs.

More pics to follow later. I didn't get many as I was having too much fun driving and I thought my GoPro was running but it died on me during the best parts of the trip. I have other emailing me pics so I'll get more.
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Gr8tops Exogate.

I love this thing. I just finished installing this today and I cant say enough good things about it. I got the idea from Savvy. I originally had a POS Road Armor tire carrier that weighed about 200lbs. not including the spare. I bought the Savvy receiver bumper and thought I would run without a spare for a while. It wasn't until I ran Spring Creek last week when 2 guys in my group cut their tires, then I realized I need a tire carrier. So I looked at Bestop Highrock and that wouldn't work because it was hit the rub rails on the Savvy Corner armor. I also looked at TNT and wasn't that impressed either. So I followed Savvy's thread on "~My Savvy Jeep Build~" where he uses one on Kat's Jeep. The only thing is that you HAVE to modify the top spacer. It hits the rub rail when you bolt it all down. I cut off approximately 1'' and it fit perfect. Just waiting on my tire mount to get here and it'll be ready to go.

Unread 06-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good. I have been thinking about getting it since Kat put it on too.

Does your rear sag any when you put the hard top on vs off?

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Looks good. I have been thinking about getting it since Kat put it on too.

Does your rear sag any when you put the hard top on vs off?
When the Jeep had the Road Armor carrier and tire on the Jeep rode nose high. Once the hardtop and tire carrier came off, the Jeep rode high in the back. It's noticeable when you step back and look at it. I also noticed that the suspension doesn't absorb bumps as well as it did with all the weight on it. I'm hoping the 35'' tire brings it down some and adds some weight to the suspension.

Overall I prefer tub mounted tire carriers over the big, heavy bumper mounted tire carriers. I hung my 220lbs self on the gate and it feels very solid.

The real test will be when I put the whole weight of the Jeep on the spare coming down a ledge.
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Another

You'll notice in Savvy's thread with Kat's Jeep he said the Exogate went on without any modifications to the Gr8tops spacers or Savvy Rub Rails. Well, that's just not true. There is no way the top spacer can bolt on without interfering with rub rails.

Also, note that I left out the bottom plate that goes below the tail light. I feel that the armor is sufficient enough to hold the weight of the tire. If you were just using sheet metal then the supplied plate should be used.

*ignore the 78HP Dana 60 sitting next to the weedeater...thats down the road.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

You scored a well built rig. Are you new to crawlerado? That rig will you do just fine for most of this State. However, there are a number of trails that just thrash any heep or buggy. How do you guys from all over the US seem to be in touch? Hit me up any time some trail rides.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.