AND Another LJ Rubicon Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > AND Another LJ Rubicon Thread

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 04-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #181
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I ordered them through Dave's Offroad Supply. What's this squeak you speak of?

Unread 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #182
janesy86
Gotta be Fresh

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice purchase! Yea G whats this squeak?

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #183
g-rocc

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had no squeak. I'd say prepared to fight putting that stupid orange cone on.
g-rocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #184
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just saw a set installed last week and they squawked quite a bit . When I left they were still making noise , but the installer said it would go away after a few days .
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #185
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post
Dana 44 Rubicon RCV axle shafts.............ORDERED.
Nice!!!!!

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #186
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rocc View Post
I had no squeak. I'd say prepared to fight putting that stupid orange cone on.
I've heard horror stories. I may hit you up if I have any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janesy86 View Post
Nice purchase! Yea G whats this squeak?
Thanks! I'm super excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Just saw a set installed last week and they squawked quite a bit . When I left they were still making noise , but the installer said it would go away after a few days .
I've heard of them clicking a little when turning but I heard that was from oversteering the joint. If they squeak…I'll be a little upset. I'll be sure to post pics of the install and my impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Nice!!!!!

Thanks!
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #187
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Adding some more orange to the orange LJ….

Also been in conversation with Savvy…4 17x9.5 Raceline Monsters coming soon!
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #188
try2holdmywheel

I'm digging this build. It's tastefully done with the right stuff in the right spots. I do like a rig that has the right stuff to be well mannered on a road trip but built enough to enjoy a technical trail.
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #189
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the front end all torn apart. All I need to do now is clearance the knuckles so the RCV boots fit. I misplaced my 36mm socket so I have to go pick up a new one tomorrow.

Lower ball joints feel a little loose…I'm not really sure how to determine if they're worn out or not. The unit bearings are solid.

I'm off to the gym for now.
Unread 04-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #190
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkLaHoMaTJ View Post

Lower ball joints feel a little loose…I'm not really sure how to determine if they're worn out or not. The unit bearings are solid.
With the tire and all on the axle, jack up the tire off the ground, and try to shake it vertically. If it moves, you bjs are going out.
Unread 04-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #191
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice build man!

I never had a squeak with the RCV's, but from Day 1 they click when I go full lock to full lock....sounds like a CV going bad on a "normal car".

I called RCV about it, they said not to worry about it, and if it bothered me to "send them in and we'll adjust them".

I have no idea what they could do to "adjust them", but this is my DD, and between the shipping time & the inconvenience, I've just kept them the way they are.

The noises haven't gotten worse (been about a year since the install).
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #192
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
With the tire and all on the axle, jack up the tire off the ground, and try to shake it vertically. If it moves, you bjs are going out.
Yeah I did that. No movement at all. Calling them good for now. I'll address these later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimotaBruce View Post
Nice build man!

I never had a squeak with the RCV's, but from Day 1 they click when I go full lock to full lock....sounds like a CV going bad on a "normal car".

I called RCV about it, they said not to worry about it, and if it bothered me to "send them in and we'll adjust them".

I have no idea what they could do to "adjust them", but this is my DD, and between the shipping time & the inconvenience, I've just kept them the way they are.

The noises haven't gotten worse (been about a year since the install).
I just finished them up and drove about 25 miles and didn't notice any clicking or squeaking.

I'm a little concerned about the passenger side boot. I could never really tell if the boots were fully seated or not. They're not popping off and I can't pop them off with my hands so I'm calling them good for now.

A tip to anyone in the future who wants to install these. I found it much easier to use WD40 sprayed all over the CV balls and the boots to get them on. At first I was using the CV grease that RCV supplied and the air pressure within the boot would just pop the boot off the CV.

Unread 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #193
Steve98
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very nice jeep man! I love my 5.13, 6 speed, RCV, and 37s combo. Hopefully you can keep those pictures coming, the wheeling alone makes me want to move to Colorado.
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #194
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve98 View Post
Very nice jeep man! I love my 5.13, 6 speed, RCV, and 37s combo. Hopefully you can keep those pictures coming, the wheeling alone makes me want to move to Colorado.
Thank you Steve98! You're Jeep was some inspiration to go 37's and build my Rubicon axles. You're on Krawlers and making it work...no reason some MTRKs shouldn't work. As for the pictures, stay tuned. I have a bunch of trips planned this year.
Unread 04-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #195
OkLaHoMaTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

500 mile break in on the gears is finished and its time to change the differential fluid and check for any uneven wear. Since it was also time to do an engine oil change as well, I figured I'd change all the fluids for peace of mine and cheap insurance. I'm anal about maintenance.

I went with Amsoil everything. It's really not that much more expensive then the other options out there so I thought I would give it a shot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.