another 5.9 Magnum into a jeep TJ Driveway build, no garage - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > another 5.9 Magnum into a jeep TJ Driveway build, no garage

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangintin View Post
Got a 79 f350 dana 60 front and a dana 70U for $725/pr complete.
Good deal. That's a HP king pin axle, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, it is the HP kingpin 60, definitely a great Craigslist find, they are getting so hard to find and expensive I couldn't pass it up
bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #33
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

15 degrees seems to be the norm over the past month, working on the jeep in the driveway doesn't seem to be worthwhile, been doing some parts collecting instead. 3 weeks into my wait for the radiator from Ocanee, definitely glad I'm only using them for 1 part in the build. Will get back to this when it's worth updating and reading.
Definitely glad to see some of you are wrapping this same swap up and enjoying the fruits of your labors!
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #34
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My radiator took 5 weeks. I probably wouldn't go with them again.

Quote:
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #35
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I do know that just about any local radiator shop worth it's salt could build one for the same price, I would not recommend them to anyone doing this swap. A long weekend engine conversion should not be held up by a 5 week lead time on a radiator.
In the future I will order a conversion radiator from quadratec or 4wd hardware and just braze/weld in the correct size outlets for the dodge,
I just think that since they get a good level of business for these things that they don't care to address an obvious problem, not just with their supplier, but in house with their piss poor customer service. Maybe it's my NY attitude, but I expect better from shops that are supposedly enthusiasts!
Ocanee OffRoad is definitely not on my "recommend to a friend" list
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

image-2316168772.jpg

My English Bulldog hard at work
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #37
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

JP Mag puts me to sleep too.

Quote:
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #38
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well, it has been a while since I have updated the thread, figure I willhave to get things caught up.
fired the monster up for the first time 2 days ago, without any of the 02 sensors hooked up, all gauges are working, working on mocking up an exhaust.
needless to say, after completing the wiring 3 months ago and having it all work flawless without any need to fiddle further I was relieved.

as it sits,
-ocanee(read "mexican garbage") radiator
-durango upper hose with a 1.75-1.5 allstar reducer from summit
-durango lower hose with same $6 reducer as upper with 1" cut from water pump side of hose
-98 zj mechanical fan with TJ 4.0 shroud (fits perfectly and believe the 1" BL is the reason)
-going to switch to a ZJ power steering pump (already bought pump, hoses and bracket on fleabay for $15) I find that doing this allows for the use of the stock overflow bottle without any issues
-using the stock durango manifold and y pipe doesnt appear that it will give me much problems, sans a little clearancing of the pinch seam on the firewall
-stock jeep LDP and emissions stuff all seems to be working fine, its mostly just temped in and I want to reroute and clean up the paths of the hoses and will do this with new silicone vacuum lines.
-since I went with a dodge nv3500, the back up switch harness had a different connector, sourced the proper connector (will follow up with part info) and soldered it in place of the jeep connector and all is good.

-PCM I used was from a 2000 Ram 2500 5.9 gas 5 speed I picked up from a local yard for $75

still a long way to go, from the frame up build it started as, nicer weather is approaching and should be able to plug away on it.
motor needs some fresh parts, new tstat, maybe a new IAC since it is hanging high in the rpms before dropping to idle when revved.

will upload pics shortly, and the obligatory video once the exhaust is installed.
and give a little more detailed write up about specific parts and pieces.

I also need to get a scanner at some point just for any troubleshooting that may be needed
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #39
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good job bud. Few questions:

- What's the part number on the lower hose?
- What's the measurement on the width of the ZJ fan? (If it's not too much trouble.)

I could clearance my RAM headers and y-pipe with no body lift and clearance the body seam. I ordered my radiator with matching inlets and outlets, so I didn't need an adapter.

I still haven't figured out a permanent coolant overflow.

Quote:
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #40
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Jason! still a ways to go, but slowly getting there. still want to do a thorough write up and a focused writeup on the wiring, the key for me was making sure I was successful before making an *** of myself haha
The lower hose is a Dayco 71954
I initially ordered my radiator with the matching upper and lower too, but Ocanee had issues with their vendor and customs (apparently it is harder to get radiators in this country than it is the mexicans that build them) I settled for one in lieu of a wait that had no end.
I can measure the fan tomorrow and bring you an update on diameter
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #41
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have no fear of making an *** of myself.

I didn't know that they imported the radiators...... I thought they made them in house.

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #42
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Jason, the mechanical fan diameter is around 17.875" -18"

yeah, I was a lot surprised to see the made in Mexico labels on the box, and being a Union tradesman and a strong supporter of american made products and businesses, even if it means paying more, it really soured my thoughts and opinions of that small southern off road shop...
anyways...
back to jeep buildin haha
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #43
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the measurement. I really would have liked to use the mechanical fan in my build for it's durability, but there's no way one would have fit. I had maybe 8 inches from the center to the top of the rad, and 11+ to the bottom.

I'm pretty disappointed about the radiator. They really made it sound like they made it in house. The quality of mine wasn't great either. I'll probably look elsewhere next time.

Quote:
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #44
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

look on ebay. I bought an aluminum conversion rad intended for a chevy swap that worked great with my 5.2 swap. and best part made in the "USA" and cost $200 been using it for 3 yrs now with no issues

MODIFY, ADAPT, & OVERCOME
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #45
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoveguy01 View Post
look on ebay. I bought an aluminum conversion rad intended for a chevy swap that worked great with my 5.2 swap. and best part made in the "USA" and cost $200 been using it for 3 yrs now with no issues
Ditto.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.