another 5.9 Magnum into a jeep TJ Driveway build, no garage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > another 5.9 Magnum into a jeep TJ Driveway build, no garage

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a short breakdown of the Jeep C103 and C104 connections, I am downloading pics from my phone as I type this, and will share them shortly

C103 Black Firewall Connector
1 OR/DG O2 Sensor ----- Splice to OR/DG of Dodge Harness
2 DG/OR Alternator-PCM ----- Splice into DG/OR of Dodge Harness
3 RD/WT PDC-PCM Power ----- Splice to RD/WT of Dodge Harness PCM C1 22
4 Not Used
5 Not Used
6 DB/LG Fuel Level Sensor ----- Unchanged
7 DG/WT Fuel Pump Power Relay ----- Unchanged
8 BR/YL Speed Sensor Ground-PCM ----- Unchanged
9 RD/LG
10 BK/TN PCM-ADLD ----- Unchanged
11 BK/LB PCM-ADLD ----- Unchanged
12 WT/OR Speed Sensor ----- Splice to WT/OR of Dodge Harness PCM C2 27
13 BK/RD Transfer Case Indicator-Instrument Panel ----- Unchanged
14 DB/BK A/C Clutch-Compressor Clutch Relay in PDC ----- Splice to DB/BK (a/c clutch) of Dodge Harness

C104 Gray Firewall Connector
1 LG A/C High Pressure Switch -----LG/WT (a/c high pressure switch) of Dodge Harness
2 DB/WT A/C Low Pressure Switch
3 Not Used
4 Not Used
5 BR/LB PDC Starter Relay Ground-PCM ----- Splice to BK/WT of Dodge Harness PCM C1 6
6 Not Used
7 Not Used
8 Not Used
9 VT/BK
10 VT/WT Neutral Safety/Backup light Power ----- Splice to BR/LG of Dodge Transmission Harness
11 DG/LG Injector/coil Power
12 BR PDC Starter Relay-Starter ------- Spliced on Starter Wire From Dodge
13 DB PCM-Fuse Block ----- Splice to LG/BK of Dodge Harness PCM C1 2
14 Not Used

C1 31,32 BK/TN of Dodge harness must be y spliced into BK/TN of original Jeep harness.
A/C System
DB/BK from Dodge compressor to DB/BK C103 14 of Jeep
DB/OR from A/C low-pressure switch spliced to DB of Dodge high-pressure switch

plenty more to add and complete, but this should give you a quick start..
I can give you a full breakdown of the wiring at the Dodge PDC and give you an idea of a direction you may want to go with them, and will in upcoming posts

bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

also note that in an A/C circuit the High Pressure switch, and Low Pressure switch are wired in series, as both must make to complete the circuit, so your HPS and LPS are wired to each other, with a switch, and sense circuit going to one and then from the other (HPS is usually first) as you break open the looms you will also see that things like the injectors, O2 sensors, as well as certain other components will all utilize a common ground, or sense wire, whether it is Orange with a Light green stripe from the O2 sensors, Black, Brown and Tan, or the Blue and White to the fuel injectors.. I would encourage anyone doing this to just take their time, familiarize yourself with what you are doing, inspect your connections and wiring (we are dealing with now 13+ year old vehicles) ohm them out if you have concerns, and use a meter to speed things up, a simple continuity check can save time confirming what wire you have on one end or the other.
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

some pics of the wiring, the last 3 show what you need to do to pull the wires from the PCM at the pins
myiphonepics-239.jpg   myiphonepics-240.jpg   myiphonepics-241.jpg   myiphonepics-242.jpg   myiphonepics-243.jpg  

Unread 12-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

a handful more pictures, a couple of the mounts to the frame before the motor went in, mounts were stick welded in..
myiphonepics-130.jpg   myiphonepics-131.jpg   myiphonepics-209.jpg   myiphonepics-255.jpg   myiphonepics-256.jpg  

Unread 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangintin View Post
Here is a short breakdown of the Jeep C103 and C104 connections, I am downloading pics from my phone as I type this, and will share them shortly

C103 Black Firewall Connector
1 OR/DG O2 Sensor ----- Splice to OR/DG of Dodge Harness
2 DG/OR Alternator-PCM ----- Splice into DG/OR of Dodge Harness
3 RD/WT PDC-PCM Power ----- Splice to RD/WT of Dodge Harness PCM C1 22
4 Not Used
5 Not Used
6 DB/LG Fuel Level Sensor ----- Unchanged
7 DG/WT Fuel Pump Power Relay ----- Unchanged
8 BR/YL Speed Sensor Ground-PCM ----- Unchanged
9 RD/LG
10 BK/TN PCM-ADLD ----- Unchanged
11 BK/LB PCM-ADLD ----- Unchanged
12 WT/OR Speed Sensor ----- Splice to WT/OR of Dodge Harness PCM C2 27
13 BK/RD Transfer Case Indicator-Instrument Panel ----- Unchanged
14 DB/BK A/C Clutch-Compressor Clutch Relay in PDC ----- Splice to DB/BK (a/c clutch) of Dodge Harness

C104 Gray Firewall Connector
1 LG A/C High Pressure Switch -----LG/WT (a/c high pressure switch) of Dodge Harness
2 DB/WT A/C Low Pressure Switch
3 Not Used
4 Not Used
5 BR/LB PDC Starter Relay Ground-PCM ----- Splice to BK/WT of Dodge Harness PCM C1 6
6 Not Used
7 Not Used
8 Not Used
9 VT/BK
10 VT/WT Neutral Safety/Backup light Power ----- Splice to BR/LG of Dodge Transmission Harness
11 DG/LG Injector/coil Power
12 BR PDC Starter Relay-Starter ------- Spliced on Starter Wire From Dodge
13 DB PCM-Fuse Block ----- Splice to LG/BK of Dodge Harness PCM C1 2
14 Not Used

C1 31,32 BK/TN of Dodge harness must be y spliced into BK/TN of original Jeep harness.
A/C System
DB/BK from Dodge compressor to DB/BK C103 14 of Jeep
DB/OR from A/C low-pressure switch spliced to DB of Dodge high-pressure switch

plenty more to add and complete, but this should give you a quick start..
I can give you a full breakdown of the wiring at the Dodge PDC and give you an idea of a direction you may want to go with them, and will in upcoming posts
My C103 is 16 pins, and C104 is 10 pins. Does your 99 have both 14 pins on these connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I will confirm when I get home from my Xmas getaway, I would have to put my hands on it to say for sure. The plugs are shown in the photos, not sure what additional wires would be
in addition on yours to mine.
How's your wiring coming along? I plan on marrying the 2 when I get home Tuesday night and Wednesday.
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #22
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I zoomed in on your pics as close as I could, and your C103 and C104 look identical to each other. Mine are clearly different. I think I counted 14 pins in your pic (7 wires x 2 rows).

My C103 (4 pins x 4 rows)

My C104 (5 pins x 2 rows)

I started labeling the PCM wires last night and got through the Grey plugs on both harnesses. The FSM describes the wire color as "18DG/WT". I found that there are other circuits that may use that wire color (DG/WT) but that number designation in combination with the wire color is unique to that part of the circuit. The Dodge harness and Jeep harness are similar, but some of the wire colors are different and circuits named differently, even if they control the same thing. I moved some of the wires from the Dodge harness to the Jeep harness. IIRC, I moved the leak detection pump and O/D off wires. The Jeep was a manual, and also had no LDP.

What I haven't taken the time to figure out yet is what's on the other end of the wires that I'm moving to the Jeep Grey plug. The few wires that I moved run to the Dodge PDC. That must mean they went to a fuse (or relay?) in the Dodge PDC. Do I need to connect them to the Jeep PDC, or is there another end to that wire on the Dodge harness that I need to extract, and splice to the wire I moved to the Jeep grey plug?

I think that the other two plugs, black and white, are pretty similar between the two vehicles, with the exception of 4 more injectors. Next to-do is compare the two blacks and whites to see what's different and label the wires.

Quote:
Unread 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have not gotten far enough into the tying the stuff from the Dodge PDC to the jeep, I am sure things like the Auto Shut Down, Starter, and other relay related components will tie into the Jeep PDC, while certain others will be driven by the PCM.
My 99 does have the leak detection, but is non ABS, I did see the post in your build thread that showed the variances in the C103 and C104 from year to year, I find that interesting as there aren't many drivetrain differences from year to year.
I wish I was sitting in front of the wiring, like you I am anxious to get this thing fired up.
Jason, the radiator you bought from Ocanee, did you go with the Chrysler conversion with 1 1/2" inlet and outlet with the 45 degree offset on the top?
I still have to order mine, but decided to give up on anything that needed to be shipped till after the holidays.
Unread 12-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For education's sake, I opened up my 05 FSM, and it shows C103 and C104 like the 1998, 14 pin C103 and 10 pin C104. Strange things, these plugs. I'm trying to keep copious notes while I modify the wiring harness to hopefully have a thorough write up once complete.

If you're going to order from Oconee, call them. I ordered the heavy duty conversion radiator, which isn't on their website. It is a thicker core, which is recommended to keep the 5.9s cool. 1.5" outlet, 1.75" inlet. Dodge inlet and outlet are on reverse sides from the Jeep. I did not specify a 45 offset. The part number I ordered was 1682-3C1HD. I believe that it is identical to this 1682-3C1AT, except mine has a 2" core instead of the 1 7/16" core.

I ordered mine about a month ago and still haven't seen it. If you order from them, don't expect it in any kind of hurry. I called them last Monday and they indicated it was literally on their shipping dock. The guy said he would email me the info once it shipped, that day or the following. I still haven't received that info or the radiator, now a week later. From all accounts I've read, the quality of the part is good, but thus far I'm not terribly impressed with the speed at which it has shipped, nor the lack of communication.

Quote:
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar scenario last year when I ordered my custom front end for my chopper, I ordered it in mid August and was told 3-4 weeks shipped, I didn't see it till mid December! That company had piss poor communication as well, when I did finally get it it was of the highest quality and well worth the $2500 I paid, but really set me back time wise on my build... Great to know! Thanks for sharing, gonna order it when I get back from Florida after the first of the year, hopefully I will see it before Easter haha
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Speaking of which, big box on my porch today. I believe it contains the radiator. 31 days since I ordered it.

Quote:
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm in Orlando for a week and definitely missing my jeep, it's tough to walk away from a project that has so many loose ends, but sometimes it's best to just stop and enjoy yourself and those around you. My little woman is such a huge supporter and advocates for all my projects, adventures, and endeavors. She loves Disney, so this is my chance to give her what she needs and focus on what makes her happy. Besides, knowing the jeep is buried in the snow sure makes it easier to not think too much about neglecting it..

image-2502547626.jpg
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #28
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangintin View Post
My little woman is such a huge supporter
That's outstanding. Mine isn't particularly interested in my Jeep related activities. I'll keep working on mine so that you can get your Jeep fix.

Quote:
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #29
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Things are a little slow moving on this swap, wiring is done and in the jeep, have a 2000 Dodge Ram 5.9 gas manual trans PCM en route, slave cylinder is installed, power steering lines tied in, gas line hooked up, dust shield and starter installed....
funds, time, and weather seem to all be minor obstacles at the moment. Looking forward to the PCM to show so I can verify the harness mods so I can re loom it and get it all buttoned up and attached to the body
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #30
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

8 degrees here in western New York, been kinda slow on the build, but the parts gathering for future mods are going well. Got a 79 f350 dana 60 front and a dana 70U for $725/pr complete. Got all the springs and bs still to scrap to further offset the cost.
bought a dana 300 to gut for the stak build, ordered my radiator, and started the hunt for some wheels. Hoping for some 20-30 degree weather so I can get back out and wrench.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.