another 5.9 Magnum into a jeep TJ Driveway build, no garage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > another 5.9 Magnum into a jeep TJ Driveway build, no garage

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

another 5.9 Magnum into a jeep TJ Driveway build, no garage

well, I am obviously not trying to reinvent the wheel, I have spent many a spare minute reading the many posts and builds from the members of many different boards, taking in so much information that you almost feel like you forget more than you know!!

This is my first TJ, I have built my share of CJ's and a couple YJ's, but always said that if I ever owned one it would get a magnum swap, well, the day the wrangler showed up, was the same day the durango got parked in the driveway...

Going to loosely detail my progress up to this point,
1999 Wrangler 4cyl, 5 speed, bone stock. $1800
1999 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9 Auto. $600
once I got into tearing the jeep apart, the frame was rotted, and the body was destroyed under the carpet, far beyond repair, but it had an imacculate interior and only 116,000 accident free miles and non ABS.
so I sourced a rust free frame in Richmond, VA for $400 and a 22 hour drive later I had it home and on jack stands,
then a rust free tub and windshield frame sourced from a local guy for $500 that came from North Carolina.

so the swap can begin, both the body and the engine...

bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

pics
jeep.jpg   durangoscrap.jpg   bodyoff.jpg   bodyoff2.jpg   bodyoff3.jpg  

bodyoff4.jpg  
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any pics of the Durango auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
owtcast
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice... you did good on sourcing parts as far as price goes. Keep us updated.
owtcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love rebuild threads!
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have pictures from my phone that all need to be gone thru and uploaded, I will work on this tonight and tomorrow,
I will work on finding the ones I took of the auto trans in the durango specifically. will also do my best to make a parts
list and share everything I know and learn, including specifics on the wiring, why is it that it is like the only thing nobody ever wants to do a write up on??
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am planning on a detailed write up on mine when I get that far.

Quote:
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
MuddyNiner

1998 ZJ 

Subscribed and Crawled! Cant wait for this!

97 ZJ 19k Miles

98 TJ Sport
MuddyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jason, You inspired me (more like called me out, hahaha) to do a write up, although I am very new to the whole concept,
it does make me realize I have to do a much better job of photo cataloging in order to make this work.
I feel like some of you guys have taught me a lot by reading your builds, I do feel like this will help keep me motivated, and maybe I will be able to teach someone something myself along the way
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangintin View Post
Jason, You inspired me (more like called me out, hahaha)
You're welcome.

I'm still disappointed that I never did a write up on my 05 TJ. I didn't want to miss the opportunity with the v8 swap into the 97. For me, it helps to organize my thoughts by writing it all out, and hopefully someone else will find my ramblings useful.

Quote:
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

new tub in place, 1" daystar body lift installed. this was where it ended up sitting as of Friday, Saturday I got the hood fit, the entire dash wiring installed, HVAC ducting, steering column etc.. I took the opportunity to remove the skim transponder while the column was out.

the yellow is growing on me, second pic is last winters build, a 2012 Custom Chopper;
100% american made parts throughout, completely built from the bare frame in my tiny garage by me, all powder coating was done by my brother and I in his shop. the little woman says I now have a lemon and a lime, thinking it may stick and I may just go with it
jeep121512.jpg   chop.jpg  
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm digging the bike man, Nice balance with the colors and finishes. It also looks like a bike you can actually spend some time on. Good luck with your Jeep build! Lot of work ahead of you.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, it was a lot of fun to build, and was definitely a lot of fun to ride! put it away early, on 9/11 my younger brother was hit by a teenage girl while on his bike that nearly killed him...
spent 2 months everyday at the hospital with him while he recovered, kind of what helped get me back into the "jeepin mood". I wont ever stop riding, but I cant think of a time I ever worried I was gonna die in my jeeps!
(ok, maybe the first time taking my 84 CJ-7 with a carbed 401 and open diffs up Lions Back in the dark, i did haha)
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Been pretty uneventful here the past couple days, between getting the little woman moved in, taking care of my needy english bulldog, the weather and just about every other excuse I can attach my
lack of desire to go outside and play in the rain with tools...
the dust shield I ordered from Mopar parts overstock showed up yesterday, fiddled around with some of the hose routing and broke down the cherry picker, and took the old jeep tub to the
scrap recycler for a mere $47 payday..
been jotting down a parts list and cost that I need to type in, and share and been stink eyeing the box that has the harnesses from the Durango and the Jeep.
I have been doing a lot of reading and thinking about what I am going to do about flipping the Dana 300, seems like going with the Stak replace a case is the way to go, along with a low max gearset and some HD outputs I think this will prove to be the best route.
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Started the wiring yesterday, the jeep is under a foot of snow, so I decided to get this wiring out of the way...
I decided that the best way to do this was to completely get myself into both harnesses, remove all of the wiring associated with the auto trans,
and remove the entire rear harness of the jeep, and tie it into the dodge harness.
I also took all of the wiring to the drivers side mounted PDC and routed them to the passenger side.

I am not a fan of soldering when it isnt necessary, I removed the pins from the Dodge C1, and C2 harness, I also plan on using the C103, and C104 connectors like the jeep was originally
setup, so in order to do this I removed each of the wires from the looms, and traced them to their respective connections and verified all wiring colors as not all match the FSM.
I feel like this swap if using the donor automatic is ultra simple, I was also able to make sense of many things that don't seem to jive with many of the things I have seen in the different threads over the years.
I can see why people dont do write ups, I have 12 hours into meticulously going through the 2 harnesses by myself, and making notes. I have so much that I will be waiting on after I complete the wiring that I will make a solid write up of the wiring.

I know most people want to know "where do I start?" and the truth is, anywhere! until you get your hands on it, you wont be any closer to understanding or completing it.
I chose to start at the engine side of the C103, and C104 harnesses, and working my way out. these 2 sockets house what I believe to be the most connections you will be making from the Jeep harness into the Dodge.

At this point, I have the Dodge Engine Harness C1, and C2 complete, with the auto trans components stripped, and the rear harness and all wiring associated to the C103, and C104 plugs, I will upload some pictures later this evening, I have notes that need to be organized, and will share them as I do.
I will say having a background in wiring, troubleshooting, and control circuits helped make sense of some of the wire paths, and some of the wiring to plugs that the wiring diagram doesnt address.

I still think $700+ is excesive for such a task, but if you want to do it right, it does take some time.
I do know that while the wiring colors may differ from year to year, pin locations, and purpose have not. Converting an Auto harness to a Manual harness is not impossible, in fact it was pretty easy and the necessary changes to the harness are not nearly as complicated as has been suggested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.