Another 5.2L YJ thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Another 5.2L YJ thread

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #106
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

That's what I was thinking SunDevilJeeper, I haven't yet committed to the idea to swap yet. But, after seeing the video that Mike_Breaker_5 had posted of his V8 sound, well let's just say that this just may be a huge influence on my decision. That and also having to keep my foot heavy on the gas when traveling up a slope at 65 mph. What is sad is, every time that I see a grand Cherokee or a Dodge truck go dow the road, I think to my self "there goes another donor vehicle."

I'm going tag Xpress build thread and watch and learn as he goes. Heck, I maybe able to learn and share info as I go.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #107
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
That's what I was thinking SunDevilJeeper, I haven't yet committed to the idea to swap yet. But, after seeing the video that Mike_Breaker_5 had posted of his V8 sound, well let's just say that this just may be a huge influence on my decision. That and also having to keep my foot heavy on the gas when traveling up a slope at 65 mph. What is sad is, every time that I see a grand Cherokee or a Dodge truck go dow the road, I think to my self "there goes another donor vehicle."

I'm going tag Xpress build thread and watch and learn as he goes. Heck, I maybe able to learn and share info as I go.
I've never owned a vehicle with a V8 in it, but I've always been a fan of V8s. Driven plenty of them, but never owned one. The sound and power puts smiles on your face for sure. A Jeep is already fun to drive with just a 4 banger, try driving one with a 5.7 Hemi in it... ohhhhhh jesus! A Jeep with a cammed Hemi, no top and doors, and a dumped exhaust is more pleasuring than sex IMO.

With all that being said, if my 5.2 isn't working, I'm bumping up to a 5.9 like bmgadg has.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #108
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post

glad to hear it made a little impact. sad thing is, that motor is tired and old. it is only just a starter motor so i could get all the bugs worked out and the driveline upgraded. after the tons are finished, trans and x-case upgraded, and i get enough cash, i am going either 408 stroker or a fresh 5.2. either way i want 300hp to the dirt.

gathering parts and information is the hard part. after you have asked all the questions and gathered the paarts you just fly through the build. it took me better than 6 months of asking and reading before i was ready to start buying parts. i still wasn't ready, but when my serp belt snapped on the 4.0... i deecided it was now or never. i have never looked back. like i just posted on another thread...
the only things that remain of the jeep i bought 5 years ago are:
hood
grille
seats
part of the wiring harness
upper dash pad
and the soft top.

i have dumped $30k into my rig over the last 5 years. talk about becoming new one piece at a time.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #109
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
glad to hear it made a little impact. sad thing is, that motor is tired and old. it is only just a starter motor so i could get all the bugs worked out and the driveline upgraded. after the tons are finished, trans and x-case upgraded, and i get enough cash, i am going either 408 stroker or a fresh 5.2. either way i want 300hp to the dirt.

gathering parts and information is the hard part. after you have asked all the questions and gathered the paarts you just fly through the build. it took me better than 6 months of asking and reading before i was ready to start buying parts. i still wasn't ready, but when my serp belt snapped on the 4.0... i deecided it was now or never. i have never looked back. like i just posted on another thread...
the only things that remain of the jeep i bought 5 years ago are:
hood
grille
seats
part of the wiring harness
upper dash pad
and the soft top.

i have dumped $30k into my rig over the last 5 years. talk about becoming new one piece at a time.
I saw that post , rusty piece of ****! Haha!

I'll be right where you are after I'm 5 years into my Jeep, lots and lots of money.

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #110
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Having a V8 injected is one of the coolest things around. I love it even for just the sound alone.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #111
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Me and this guy would probably get along real well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-29-S883OFw

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #112
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

At least that guy was smart enough to stop and wait to see his friend. I pictures that going badly.

You guys are over here thinking about v8's and I'm over here in the corner like "I enjoy my Howell 4.2".
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #113
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
Me and this guy would probably get along real well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-29-S883OFw
I've done it with my 4.2 so hell imagine a 383 stroker....
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #114
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I've done it with my 4.2 so hell imagine a 383 stroker....

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #115
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I want either a 383 or a 4bt.. Either or and i will be happy hell even a 5.3 vortec
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #116
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I want either a 383 or a 4bt.. Either or and i will be happy hell even a 5.3 vortec
Since we're talking about dream engines, 392 Hemi would tickle my fancy into a hard on!

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #117
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Since we're talking about dream engines, 392 Hemi would tickle my fancy into a hard on!
That would be great also
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #118
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Holy thread jacking!

AFAIK you have to keep the ECU mated to the trans/motor...if it's an auto ECU, you have to have an auto trans.

(My bro is going through this with his honda, auto-manual swap, bigger engine from stock as well)

Everything that is required for emissions for the engine that is going into the rig, has to be there for when you ref it. That means stock (or CARB legal) headers/downpipe all the way to the cats. After the cats, the exhaust just has to exit after the rear tire.

What I don't know (and maybe you do) is what 'class' engine we can put into a Wrangler. With the LT1's out of camaros/corvettes it's a 'car' engine, so it's considered a 'smaller' class. IDK where JEEP falls as to what class.

(CA sucks for emissions, else I'd have a carb'd 350)
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #119
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
At least that guy was smart enough to stop and wait to see his friend. I pictures that going badly.

You guys are over here thinking about v8's and I'm over here in the corner like "I enjoy my Howell 4.2".
Stay way the **** back when I decide it's time for fun. Ruben learned that a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
Holy thread jacking!

AFAIK you have to keep the ECU mated to the trans/motor...if it's an auto ECU, you have to have an auto trans.

(My bro is going through this with his honda, auto-manual swap, bigger engine from stock as well)

Everything that is required for emissions for the engine that is going into the rig, has to be there for when you ref it. That means stock (or CARB legal) headers/downpipe all the way to the cats. After the cats, the exhaust just has to exit after the rear tire.

What I don't know (and maybe you do) is what 'class' engine we can put into a Wrangler. With the LT1's out of camaros/corvettes it's a 'car' engine, so it's considered a 'smaller' class. IDK where JEEP falls as to what class.

Different states have different classes that Jeeps are registered under. Some states may register them as a pickup truck, states like Arizona do not. They're registered as station wagons from what I heard on multiple occasions. Part of the reason Jeeps aren't usually harassed about mud flaps in AZ.

In CA, I don't know what they're registered as. Probably a light duty truck or something, so the engine would have to come out of a Dakota on paper would be my guess. I don't know though, just speculating.

Still not enough power.
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #120
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
Holy thread jacking!

you can run an auto ecm on a manual and vice versa.

obd1 ... if you put an auto ecm on your manual all that happens is the air fuel mixture is a little diff to compensate for having a torque converter.
i ran an auto ecm with no problem for a while on my 5.2 before switching to the 5.9l manual ecm on my 5.2. hell... i even ran an auto 3.9l ecm on my 5.2 for about 1/4 mile. guy i bought it from said it was for a 5.9 not a 3.9. i quickly notified him of his mistake.

obd2...
not 100% positive but i think it is a possibility to put an auto ecm on a manual if you do something to trick the computer to think the transmission is always in drive. otherwise the ecm thinks your in park all the time and you have a terrible power loss. i know i read this somewhere on someone's swap thread but i can't remember for the life of me who it was or how he "tricked" the ecm.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.