Another 5.2L YJ thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Another 5.2L YJ thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #181
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post

It's ok if we argue in here as long as we argue like Canadians!
Eh?

Unread 10-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #182
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
It's ok if we argue in here as long as we argue like Canadians!
Please stop otherwise I'm going to do nothing about it.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #183
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You gotta be ****ing kidding me...

Water pump blew on the ZJ tonight. Had to limp home, hoping it didn't take out the radiator since the fan wobbled all around.

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #184
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Reseal the front cover and replace the chain while you're in there.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #185
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Or I'll just toss on the new waterpump and fughettabouddit.

I'll go through the engine when I pull it out and prep it for its new home. I have some things in mind for coloring too...

Unread 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #186
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well gents the time had finally come to remove the old pump from the 5.2.

What a ****ing pain in the ***. And I'm only almost halfway done. Still have to remove the fan/clutch assembly from the old pump, fit it to the new pump, scrape the old gasket material, FIPG up the new gasket (FIPG is Toyotas brand of the black magic goo stuff), then re-install everything with the hopes that I didn't damage the radiator... Probably wasn't that great of an idea to rip the grill out (the inside of it, not the insert), will have to epoxy that back in place..

And advice on removing the fan/clutch from the old pump?

Hoping there will be PLENTY of room inside of the YJ with this thing in there, sure seems like there will be... While we are on the subject, what would you guys suggest I run for a radiator? I think I want to upgrade to an aluminum one...

And I think I have my list of what I want to do with the 5.2 before it goes into the YJ:

-Degrease whole engine
-New valve cover gaskets
-New intake/exhaust gaskets
-Paint intake manifold Green
-Paint exhaust manifold silver
-New vacuum lines/components (is this engine a PCV?)
-Clean injectors out thoroughly
-Re-seal timing cover, replace timing chain/guides
-Re-seal oil pan

I think that's all??? Any more suggestions????

Unread 11-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #187
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i am running a TJ aluminum radiator from the junkyard on my 5.2 with an electric fan. i have right around $100 in both rad and fan combined. you could use a conversion radiator and save some headache in routing the hoses, but not necessary.

what kind of bell housing are you using again? if you are using the 3.9L dakota bell i wouldn't waste my time with the stock manifolds. all but the durango (i think) manifolds point the drivers side dump directly at the new location of the starter and are unusable.

also. instead of cleaning out the old siemens injectors a 24# bosch injector upgrade will make you smile for sure. i got mine from this same seller on ebay for like $75 after only a couple of bids. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-0-MUSTANG-...46f467&vxp=mtr

now i don't remember if you are running an obd1 or obd2 magnum motor and i'm too lazy to go back and look. but i am pretty sure that these injectors fit all the 5.2 magnums right up until it was replaced with the 4.7L

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #188
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am OBD2, 1996 5.2L.

I am going to buy new whenever I can, just don't want to waste my money on used parts when I can buy them new.

I will figure out what bell housing to use when I get to that point... I want to try to find a 5.2L Dakota bell housing...

Unread 11-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #189
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

have you made a final decision on what trans you are using?
if you are sticking with the ax-15 then you want a 3.9L Dakota bellhousing. it's a straight bolt up that way. if you are getting an NV4500 then you want the matching trans from a 5.9L dodge ram that has the NV4500 from the factory, that is also a straight bolt up for the motor and a d300 x-case. you can't use the diesel trans due to the tailshaft it won't fit a d300 or 231. well... you could get a diesel trans but you will need to swap out the tailshaft if you want to use a small case x-case like the 231 or d300.

a set of hedman block huggers from summit will solve all your exhaust routing woes.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #190
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

For the exhaust, the factory ones on my 5.9 fit just fine with room to spare. It was out of a 96 Ram 2500 if that helps.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #191
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Well gents the time had finally come to remove the old pump from the 5.2.

What a ****ing pain in the ***. And I'm only almost halfway done. Still have to remove the fan/clutch assembly from the old pump, fit it to the new pump, scrape the old gasket material, FIPG up the new gasket (FIPG is Toyotas brand of the black magic goo stuff), then re-install everything with the hopes that I didn't damage the radiator... Probably wasn't that great of an idea to rip the grill out (the inside of it, not the insert), will have to epoxy that back in place..

And advice on removing the fan/clutch from the old pump?

Hoping there will be PLENTY of room inside of the YJ with this thing in there, sure seems like there will be... While we are on the subject, what would you guys suggest I run for a radiator? I think I want to upgrade to an aluminum one...

And I think I have my list of what I want to do with the 5.2 before it goes into the YJ:

-Degrease whole engine
-New valve cover gaskets
-New intake/exhaust gaskets
-Paint intake manifold Green
-Paint exhaust manifold silver
-New vacuum lines/components (is this engine a PCV?)
-Clean injectors out thoroughly
-Re-seal timing cover, replace timing chain/guides
-Re-seal oil pan

I think that's all??? Any more suggestions????
For the fan clutch on my 99 Dakota I Used a thin 36mm open end wrench and a spanner wrench to hold the pulley. The Fan nut on my 95 engine is smaller
There is a mod for the intake plenum to keep it from leaking oil. One of the TJ magnum threads talks about it.

Quote:
I am OBD2, 1996 5.2L.

I will figure out what bell housing to use when I get to that point... I want to try to find a 5.2L Dakota bell housing...
The 5.2 L Dakota and 94 and up Ram 1500 with a 5.2 used a NV3500 trans that did not use a separate bellhousing. Also your Jeep engine has the starter on the passenger side and dodge had the starter on the driver side. If you want to use manifolds with the dodge bell housing you will have to use dodge exhaust manifolds. I am going with a built 42RH trans behind my 95 5.2 with the dodge exhaust system in my 89 Jeep.

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #192
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaddieHanus View Post

For the fan clutch on my 99 Dakota I Used a thin 36mm open end wrench and a spanner wrench to hold the pulley. The Fan nut on my 95 engine is smaller
There is a mod for the intake plenum to keep it from leaking oil. One of the TJ magnum threads talks about it.

The 5.2 L Dakota and 94 and up Ram 1500 with a 5.2 used a NV3500 trans that did not use a separate bellhousing. Also your Jeep engine has the starter on the passenger side and dodge had the starter on the driver side. If you want to use manifolds with the dodge bell housing you will have to use dodge exhaust manifolds. I am going with a built 42RH trans behind my 95 5.2 with the dodge exhaust system in my 89 Jeep.
What are you doing for wire harness? since my jeep is carbed I'm having difficulties finding a good source on how to wire it. And I will have to look into the intake plenum problem your the first I've heard of mention it? Im still in gathering parts stage.
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #193
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am still figuring out just what the hell I am going to do as I go along

Keep in mind I have to be all Cali legal. The Smog Referees scrutinize these swaps down here from the research I have done, they don't skip over things...

Unread 11-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #194
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
What are you doing for wire harness? since my jeep is carbed I'm having difficulties finding a good source on how to wire it. And I will have to look into the intake plenum problem your the first I've heard of mention it? Im still in gathering parts stage.
I have the engine compartment harness from a 95 dakota with the underhood fuse panel. I have the harness that the engine came with. It was unplugged from the truck it came from. and then I have the computer connecter from an automatic dakota (all 95) as the engine originally was from a manual trans truck. I picked up another 89 wrangler 2.5 harness. I have both the 89 jeep and 95 dakota service manuals. All this is on my workbench in the basement and I am just starting to go through it now.

The intake has a steel plate bolted to the bottom and the gasket tends to leak. Hughes has a kit to repair it.

Quote:
I am still figuring out just what the hell I am going to do as I go along

Keep in mind I have to be all Cali legal. The Smog Referees scrutinize these swaps down here from the research I have done, they don't skip over things...
Colorado is similar as the engine must have all emissions equipment intact and must pass the treadmill test for either the body or the engine whichever is newer.

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #195
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here we can only use an engine that is the same model year or newer. It sucks, but I guess that's what we get for letting Democrats control the state..

Enough politics though, I am going to start searching for that ellusive bellhousing...

Which headers did everyone say will work with the 3.9L bellhousing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.